Light Tent

S

Stevekir

People might like to see my post elsewhere dated 1 December 2012 describing my recent experiments:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5301&p=89337#p89337

The pics at the beginning of the thread are good.

The light tent that I have is big enough, I think, for a 1/48 scale Spitfire, but it would be a little cramped for a 1/48 Lancaster which has a wingspan of about 17".

First Name
Adrian
I bought an 80 cm tent from ebay for my bigger 1:48th stuff, new camera should be here on Mon and will start showing results

Adrian

S

Stevekir

The fabric sides are quite creased and this could sometimes show in the photo. I used an ordinary domestic iron set at nylon. This was too cold but turning the dial up until the light came on, pausing about 6 secs., then switching off produced a high enough temperature to remove the creases.

T

teddy ladd

Before I headed back to modeling I had a 16X30' studio in my house and did professional model photography for about 8 years.The Scale model pics I see on the net vary greatly [big surprise, right?]. It most often has to do with background and LIGHTING.Video takes continuous light and lots of it. Still photography is best done with "filtered light". Here are a few tips:

1. create a simple background if you want to totally present the model as the subject [documentary shot]. A complex, busy background takes the viewers attention away from the model [subject].

Lots of people use the white artist foam core to make a background. good idea. buy two poster size sheets. lay them end to end with a tiny gap in between. using packing tape, apply a strip across the two ends. your goal is to be able to fold the two pieces [like a book] to a 90deg angle and have an "L" shaped background. Of course, the taped side is on the back. Sit your background on a level surface and prop the back piece up with something heavy--can of paint or similar. Why use white? white will reflect your light all around the model and help eliminate shadows.Before I forget, it is best to place your model as far from the vertical part of the background as possible. this will help eliminate cast shadows.

3. If you shoot outdoors do NOT choose a bright sunny day. the light is too intense and will create whited out areas and glare in your pictures. choose a partly cloudy day or an overcast day.

the clouds serve as a filter for the sunlight. they "soften" and diffuse the strong light and give you what you want. PRACTICE and use different settings on your camera to determine what works best.

write down what settings give you the pics you want. record distance from your camera to the model, etc. you have to be a bit scientific. if you just shoot randomly you will get random results.the BEST

shoot times are usually late morning and late afternoon, when the sun is at an angle, not straight overhead. those are called the "golden hours"

4. HERE comes the suggestion that many people hate. USE A TRIPOD. You think you can hold still? me too. I shot a lot of that high speed fashion stuff--model in motion, me running all over the

studio space-pause-snap snap snap. 3,000 shots in an hour--seriously. I could do that because I had a pro DSLR that allowed me to shoot really fast and several powerful strobes that flashed with

the brilliance of lightning. those factors will stop motion. I spent about $3,000 for that capability. USE A TRIPOD or......arrange a stand [a ladder works okay--the 4-5 step kind is best] at the right

distance that you can sit your camera on and have it tilt down toward your model. you can hold it braced on a small ladder but if you really want a sharp image--use the cameras TIMER if it has one.

Even the act of pressing the shutter button can cause disruptive motion. USE A TRIPOD. You can buy them them for about $19 sometimes.

5. What about light? good question. outdoors you may not need any additional lighting if you have chosen a good day. On the other hand, the sun varies from day to day, season to season,

minute to minute. cloud cover varies in thickness, water content [clouds are water vapor, right?], and a semi cloudy day can cause your light to come and go. then you are struggling to

hit a good light moment, clouds to move around, etc. Indoors YOU have more control. Once you have your 'setup' figured out--you can reproduce it every time. That eliminates a lot

of frustration and gives you consistent results.

6. Using indoor light. Remember what I stated above about photography? its best with filtered light, but how do you FILTER light? think about the sun being 'filtered' and softened by passing

through the clouds. Photographers use soft boxes [google it] and other "modifiers" [anything that changes the quality of light] to control the kind of light they want.

OK, I get the "principle", but HOW do I do all this Ted?

Many different ways, and it depends on your budget, your skill at making your own stuff, how much storage space you have, etc. Here is one way? Go to the hardware and buy three clamp on light fixtures with the highest bulb rating you can find. 75watt ok, 100watt better. set up your background like I described in step one [kitchen table or coffee table?] you are going to use a chair or any object that the lights can be clamped to that will allow you to place them right up to the edge of the background from each side.I made some stands from coffee cans, sturdy trim wood [ furring strips are cheaper] and that post hole concrete that dries in minutes and does not have to be mixed in a wheelbarrow. Place can/bucket on level ground, stand wooden strip vertical in container, scoop in dry mix, add water, mix a bit with garden tool or similar, and in a few minutes it will stand on its on. let it cure overnight.

You can make the stands tall or short--I would go with two or three about 36" total height. QUESTION: the side lighting would be easy, but what about the overhead light?? take another piece of your wood trim and fasten it [spring clamp, duct tape] between the side stands, high enough to allow you to clamp the light on it so that the light will hang about 24" above your model or higher [you will have to experiment]. Make notes about your set-up.Measure distances. You will memorize and be able to eyeball it later.Start out being scientific. That is how consistency is built.

CHEAPEST AND EASIEST: If you have high-back chairs or bar-stools, and you can arrange them on each side of your background, place a broom across the top from side to side, and

clamp the lights in position as needed.

OK Ted, I've read all this theory of light and instructions stuff and I think I can put it all together maybe? but you left out the part about the FILTRATION of the light.

YOU SAID that was important! HOW WILL I DO THAT???

Here is what you can do. Take a piece of copy paper or similar [no lines or watermark] and use clothespins or small binder clips [office supply] to fasten the paper to the rim of the clamp light.I always bowed the paper outward a bit to keep it away from the bulb. The ignition temperature for paper is reported to be 450C. The firemen can confirm that for you after they put the fire out.

Is there a better way to diffuse the light? yes. Get a cardboard box large enough to sit completely over your background. tape it together as needed [packing tape or similar] folding

the flaps as they are usually folded over one another. congratulations, you just constructed an empty box! Now take a sharp utility knife and cut all the sides and top out, leaving about one inch

of each edge. What you have now looks like the open "frame" of a box. Place your background inside the frame and support it. Next, drape a cheap white sheet over the top, back, and sides. shine the lights through the sheet from each side and overhead. You have created a "soft box" that will filter and diffuse the light around your model.

Do I have one of these setups--YES. Do I Have any pictures of it? NO. My camera is in the shop for a repair. When I get it back I will make some

pictures and post.

Final QUESTION: why go through all this trouble? If I spend countless hours building a model, I want good pictures. I want to be able to get consistent images that I am proud of. Pictures that are

worthy of all the $$$$ and work I put into the model. Great model+lousy pictures = disappointment. I hope that someone can use all or part of the info and ideas here to make great pictures of their

models. Best wishes Everyone!

Ted

almost forgot! when you do photos, move the model, not the camera! once your setup is solid, your camera in place, keep the changes to ONE element in the setup. turn the model, not the camera. everything is locked in, move the model. only time to move the camera is for closeups and to shoot down from a higher angle.

Last edited:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Ted and welcome to the forum.

Looking forward to seeing the results of your work, both the models and the photographs.

Ian m

T

tecdes

I like to photograph my models in an environment which they operated from. Found that a stark photo unenhances (is that a word) the mystic of the aircraft.

Just in the throes of producing my photo background (new flat left old one behind). This is a grass base with an area of runway all on a shelves where I keep models. I use a cloud scene which you can buy in roles against the wall. At the junction of the sky & grass I arrange bushes & gorse which takes away the hardness of the junction. Picture before I grew the gorse !

View attachment 68557

Also like to, on at least one of a set of an aircraft, introduce other aircraft of the same scale in the background. Also a couple of figures one with a steps. All this to give an impression of scale.

As a Pro Videologist I have a fair idea of lighting which I keep very simple and again try to keep it at the level which looks as much like the real thing as possible ie I do not floor the scene. I use a tripod as this gives the opportunity to use the manual controls on the camera with if necessary longer open shutter times.

The camera just a basic Olympus E410 which has many controls 95% of which have laid dormant under my control. Recently bought a macro lense but to keep costs down it does not come with a "zoom" & I have to resort to adjusting the camera distance manually. A nice piece of equipment for model as you can get very close to show detail. I use the light from the two magnifier lights I use for model making. This gives a good light & lessens shadows & also gives the opportunity to move the lights easily to experiment with lighting.

Rather like walking down a street very few of us look above our eyeline. So when taking photos I try to take shots from unusual positions & quite close for some. Think this projects interest into the photograph.

Finally, from what I hope is not to boring, keep the lense clean & if the camera is brought from a coldish room into a heated one wait until the camra reaches room temperature as condensation will affect results. Tried filming a bride outside on a frosty afternoon then dodged inside to a warm church o dear condensation. As it happens it formed a halo around her face & looked artistically brilliant. Hasten to add there were another 3 cameras in the church at room temperature.

Laurie

P4150215.JPG

First Name
Dave
I'm not interested in photography and I think this shows in my photo's.If any of mine come out good its down to my IPhone 5 and not my skills!.I am however aware of the poor lighting in photo's of my current F15 build.Im going to put some better lighting over my modelling table which should improve things

T

tecdes

Dave you can get free software to enhance & improve photos. If it is darker than you want then you can usually manipulate to get a better picture.

If it is to light then the detail is not there & you will only get very monor improvments.

Laurie

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Some good stuff above. Luckily for me a decent model and some extremely average piccies isn't too much of a disappointment! I understand where Ted's coming from and very much appreciate the advice, but he is a "proper" photographer and I most definitely am not :smiling3:

I do use a background and I do take my photos in natural light (using the clouds for diffusion is not difficult in the UK). I'm lucky enough to have a glass roofed and half walled conservatory to work in. I do use a tripod which cost about twenty quid I think. I will never take a professional photo, I use a compact camera designed for holiday snaps which does everything for me (Canon S100). Hopefully I can make them good enough to give a decent impression of the model. I do admire some of the professional looking photographs I see but honestly I don't aspire to take mine like them.

Cheers

Steve

T

teddy ladd

\ said:
Hi Ted and welcome to the forum.Looking forward to seeing the results of your work, both the models and the photographs.

Ian m
Thanks for the welcome!

T

teddy ladd

\ said:
Some good stuff above. Luckily for me a decent model and some extremely average piccies isn't too much of a disappointment! I understand where Ted's coming from and very much appreciate the advice, but he is a "proper" photographer and I most definitely am not :smiling3: I do use a background and I do take my photos in natural light (using the clouds for diffusion is not difficult in the UK). I'm lucky enough to have a glass roofed and half walled conservatory to work in. I do use a tripod which cost about twenty quid I think. I will never take a professional photo, I use a compact camera designed for holiday snaps which does everything for me (Canon S100). Hopefully I can make them good enough to give a decent impression of the model. I do admire some of the professional looking photographs I see but honestly I don't aspire to take mine like them.

Cheers

Steve
My problem is that I am somewhat obsessive compulsive [OCD]. If I don't have a good picture of something, it didn't happen. I worked in medicine and teaching so long that it was ingrained in me

that if something was not written down [AKA "recorded"], it did not happen.The bottom line is that pictures are important to me as a "record" of my work, even though I have the MODEL sitting right in front of me! Its a sharing/recognition thing. Each person has to decide what is important to them, regardless of what anyone else thinks. that is freedom in action. Modeling has many rewards, regardless of whether not you take

pictures of them. If I do a lousy build and get high resolution pictures of it, I have defeated myself!! It has to be all about the fun of building and creation of something we enjoy personally.

T

teddy ladd

\ said:
Dave you can get free software to enhance & improve photos. If it is darker than you want then you can usually manipulate to get a better picture.If it is to light then the detail is not there & you will only get very monor improvments.

Laurie
One of the best FREE editing programs out there is GIMP. Just Google it if you want to check it out.

T

teddy ladd

\ said:
I'm not interested in photography and I think this shows in my photo's.If any of mine come out good its down to my IPhone 5 and not my skills!.I am however aware of the poor lighting in photo's of my current F15 build.Im going to put some better lighting over my modelling table which should improve things
Modeling has to be 100% about what the hobbyist enjoys. Pictures are certainly just something that some people want, while others just enjoy the build and the model sitting right in front of them.

Or sharing the real model with friends at shows or a club meeting. Fun and satisfaction are #1 over every other consideration.

T

teddy ladd

\ said:
I like to photograph my models in an environment which they operated from. Found that a stark photo unenhances (is that a word) the mystic of the aircraft.Just in the throes of producing my photo background (new flat left old one behind). This is a grass base with an area of runway all on a shelves where I keep models. I use a cloud scene which you can buy in roles against the wall. At the junction of the sky & grass I arrange bushes & gorse which takes away the hardness of the junction. Picture before I grew the gorse !

View attachment 67560

Also like to, on at least one of a set of an aircraft, introduce other aircraft of the same scale in the background. Also a couple of figures one with a steps. All this to give an impression of scale.

As a Pro Videologist I have a fair idea of lighting which I keep very simple and again try to keep it at the level which looks as much like the real thing as possible ie I do not floor the scene. I use a tripod as this gives the opportunity to use the manual controls on the camera with if necessary longer open shutter times.

The camera just a basic Olympus E410 which has many controls 95% of which have laid dormant under my control. Recently bought a macro lense but to keep costs down it does not come with a "zoom" & I have to resort to adjusting the camera distance manually. A nice piece of equipment for model as you can get very close to show detail. I use the light from the two magnifier lights I use for model making. This gives a good light & lessens shadows & also gives the opportunity to move the lights easily to experiment with lighting.

Rather like walking down a street very few of us look above our eyeline. So when taking photos I try to take shots from unusual positions & quite close for some. Think this projects interest into the photograph.

Finally, from what I hope is not to boring, keep the lense clean & if the camera is brought from a coldish room into a heated one wait until the camra reaches room temperature as condensation will affect results. Tried filming a bride outside on a frosty afternoon then dodged inside to a warm church o dear condensation. As it happens it formed a halo around her face & looked artistically brilliant. Hasten to add there were another 3 cameras in the church at room temperature.

Laurie
Your work and images are a total package. What I wrote was about documentary photography--I built it, here is proof--kind of boring and sterile. Your images create a story, and emotion. they bring your models to life. its another aspect of the modeling experience where "each to their own" is perfect. Nice image in your post. thanks!

T

teddy ladd

\ said:
Some good stuff above. Luckily for me a decent model and some extremely average piccies isn't too much of a disappointment! I understand where Ted's coming from and very much appreciate the advice, but he is a "proper" photographer and I most definitely am not :smiling3: I do use a background and I do take my photos in natural light (using the clouds for diffusion is not difficult in the UK). I'm lucky enough to have a glass roofed and half walled conservatory to work in. I do use a tripod which cost about twenty quid I think. I will never take a professional photo, I use a compact camera designed for holiday snaps which does everything for me (Canon S100). Hopefully I can make them good enough to give a decent impression of the model. I do admire some of the professional looking photographs I see but honestly I don't aspire to take mine like them.

Cheers

Steve
Steve, I just looked at part of your gallery. Your pictures are GREAT. don't try to fool us!

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Hi and welcome to the forum Teddy.

I'm no photographer, point and click and hope for the best, and if I get a half decent shot I'm happy. But after reading your advice I'll try to follow it and produce better shots. Probably best not to hold your breath on this one though :D

Tony.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Steve, I just looked at part of your gallery. Your pictures are GREAT. don't try to fool us!
I'm flattered that you think so, but I'd hardly consider them professional :smiling3:

I guarantee that you of all people could do better! I think you posted some really good advice above. I think the crucial advice for we amateurs is to avoid direct, over bright light from a solitary source. Most people here will not get into the niceties of colour correction (which was the bane of my professional life until recent times and modern cameras) and white balances. Luckily many modern cameras take care of this for idiots like me! Diffusing the light, not pointing a spotlight straight at the model, is something we can all easily do. I'm lucky as I use natural daylight and nature's big diffusers, aka clouds, but not all can.

I really must update that gallery.......a timely reminder, cheers

Edit.....forgot the tripod. It made a huge difference for me, definitely worth the relatively modest price.

Steve