Little trains and big names with Pete Waterman - channel 4

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Hi

I watched the above programme on channel 4 and it was better than I expected.

The programme is based on Pete Waterman visiting well known people who are into railway modeling to look at their layout. This week features Jools Holland who is clearly very passionate about model railways, in fact the opening sequence of his Later with Jools Holland tv programme features a mini Jools running around the London part of his layout. It was interesting that some parts of his layout are very autobiographical - his grandparent's house is part of the layout for instance

There was also bits of railway related history in the programme as well as a bit about a layout Pete's local club are building.

i was a bit apprehensive that it would be all about the 'big name', but this one at least really showed just how into modelling Jools is, and Pete's passion for trains is
infectious.

Easy going entertainment, you won't learn anything about modeling but it is nice to see other people who are passionate about modeling, next week features Eddie Izzard.

Peter

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Sounds interesting. I read about Jools’ layout a few years ago. Apparently he started it when he was ill and undergoing a long recuperation. Said building a layout was like going on holiday….

Pete Waterman has extensive railway interests, but closed his model railway company about five years ago as it was unprofitable and he no longer wanted to underwrite the losses. A bit like Peter Jackson and Wingnut wings.
If you want to see his layout, it’s here

I bet they have Rod Stewart on there at some point, his layout is superb and he was well known for booking a second hotel room on tour so he could carry out his modelling while away from home ;)

Surprising how many musicians have links to model railways. Neil Young was instrumental in taking Lionel trains out of bankruptcy, owning several patents for wireless control that enabled his children (who have cerebral palsy ) to interact with his huge layout that was built in a barn on his ranch. He used to post on modelling sites under the pseudonym Clyde Coil.

Others that I know of include Bruce Springsteen (I think he was also involved in the Lionel revival), Roger Daltry, Elton John (Big garden railway apparently), Eric Clapton, Phil Collins and Johnny Cash…….

Away from railways, both Edward the seventh and Winston Churchill were known to play with toy soldiers and H G Wells wrote and published the first set of wargames rules.

I am very sure I’ve only scratched the surface…

Lads, we geeks are in very illustrious company…..

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Tim

interesting that they discussed why so many mucisioan are interested in model railways - they concluded that it may be that the attention to detail is common to both making music and modelling.

i think i may have a copy of HG Wells's rules somewhere - I'll try to find them.

Peter

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Tim

interesting that they discussed why so many mucisioan are interested in model railways - they concluded that it may be that the attention to detail is common to both making music and modelling.

i think i may have a copy of HG Wells's rules somewhere - I'll try to find them.

Peter
Wow…..a copy of little wars…..quite rare if early, I’ve only ever seen one copy before and it was too dear for me to buy.

Good point on the musician link. I thought it might be due to the creativity involved in both disciplines.

Actors seem to be drawn to wargaming. Robin Williams was very well known for it, as was Peter Cushing. Peter Jackson needs no introduction to modelling, but has also gamed and commissioned figures from the Perry twins. Edward Woodward even made toy soldiers and gaming central to his Callan character……..and TV character actor Derek Guyler was well known for his Roman Armies…..

Now that’s got to be due to the make believe aspect……

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Unfortunately it is only a pdf copy, not an original.

i agree - the creativity element is common to both music and modelling.

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Hi Guys

I have found the pdf of HG Wells book of war-game rules. Unfortunately I cannot attach a pdf to this post so if anybody would like a copy, PM me with your email address and I will send you a copy.

Peter