Looking for a new airbrush

G

Gdbjnr

Hi all

I currently have a spray craft sp30 (I think) that has developed some problems.

It's spitting and dripping large amounts as I'm using it.

I've replaced the needle and the needle seal but it's still the same so I'm giving (strange for me as I'm an engineer and don't give up fixing things. It can always be fixed)

I've been looking at the H&S ultra.

Would this be an upgrade or a side step

D

dubster72

Having been a user of cheap Chinese airbrushes for many years, I've recently bought the H & S Ultra 2 in 1.

So far I'm very pleased & impressed by it. The machining is way better which gives predictable & reliable results. Cleaning is also much easier.

I'd heartily recommend going for an Ultra.

L

Laurie

Agree with Patrick. All H & S airbrushes are good.

Also Iwata are on a similar plane. Both have advantages and disadvantages.

Used both and can say there is little between them.

To sum up. Iwata probably slightly better engineered but darned fiddly to clean.

Superb paint finish. Nozzle needle change 5 or 6 minutes. Deep clean 10 minutes. Spanners needed.

H & S so very easy to clean 4 min deep clean. Quick change for different nozzle/ needle. 1 minute.

No spanners just fingers.

Both have replacements for every part (Iwata not the body). Anything which

goes wrong you are going to get good feed back and help on both.

Being a Brewery Manager you can get plenty of alcohol for cleaning ha ha. :smiling3:

Laurie

First Name
Adrian
I'd say if you have chance go to a local show and try a couple out.

I've used a Iwata Neo for near on 5 years now and not had any major issues with it, I don't understand the "speed" of cleaning point always mentioned with H&S users, I take about 5 mins for a good clean or a minute to flush through. Those of you that watch Flory will see how he cleans his or as in some cases doesn't :smiling3: I dare you to fault his work :smiling3:

Anyway, have a play if you can, I recently saw the Badger SOTAR 20/20 in use and have to say when I'm ready for a new A/B I'll have a go with it and see how I cope.

We all use a variety of airbrushes on here and I'm sure people will say better results are down to practice regardless of the equipment.

Adrian

D

dougie

\ said:
Hi all

I've replaced the needle and the needle seal but it's still the same so I'm giving (strange for me as I'm an engineer and don't give up fixing things. It can always be fixed)

I had the same problem with an old brush. I don't normally give up either but I'm glad I did. Got an infinity cr+ and I love it. Machining is excellent and cleaning is a breeze. Parts are cheap and easy to get. Apparently John who runs this forum has h&s in stock now too.

Buy an in line filter too ;)

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

I use the iwata Eclipse HP-CS and the Iwata Hi-Line HP-CH. I recommend the Iwata Eclipse as a starting point, and to leave the hi line for somehing further down the track, due to it's complex features and high costs. However, it is by far my best airbrush that I have, better than my old H&S Infinity.

Personally I think the ultra would be a side step-get yourself an evolution or an Iwata High performance plus.

If you are looking at an infinity, and have that sort of $$, get an Iwata Hi Line HP-CH. For the infinity, you have to buy extra parts for the mac valve and other parts, while the iwata comes with it all packed in one.

Perhaps this will be a good gauge for you. I started this poll about a month ago now, and it lists the airbrushes people use on this forum.

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/what-are-your-favorite-airbrushes-poll.31492/

John

Last edited:
L

Laurie

Agree on the Iwata Eclipse range John very nice.

But we part a bit on the type John. I have an (any one want) HPCS used once. My HPBS which is a dainty

little thing small cup which does not obscure vision, smaller in length compared to the HPBS. Also and

most important to me it is perfectly balanced when airbrushing where as the HPCS is heavy at the front end.

Only saving grace for the HPCS is a large cup if you undertake 1/32 scale.

But then that is my opinion others have others "Horses for Courses",

Laurie

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

\ said:
But we part a bit on the type John. I have an (any one want) HPCS used once. My HPBS which is a dainty

little thing small cup which does not obscure vision, smaller in length compared to the HPBS. Also and

most important to me it is perfectly balanced when airbrushing where as the HPCS is heavy at the front end.

Laurie
Guess it is a bit of preference, I prefer the bigger cups- I sometimes do 1/32, always do 1/48 and I never do 1/72. Never really had a problem of vision being obscured, but I see the side feed works great for you. Anyway, I do use all the large cups- the Cs and the CH for the hi line

I think this is another field where H&S falls down a bit- Iwata offers siphon,side and gravity feed, while H&S offer mostly gravity- if anyone knows of any others, please inform me.

John

L

Laurie

\ said:
side feed works great for you.
No it is a top feed John. But they have built it partly into the body which gives a very low profile.

Laurie

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

\ said:
No it is a top feed John. But they have built it partly into the body which gives a very low profile.
Laurie
:eek: Oh you meant the smaller cup! :D

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

\ said:

Laurie
My goodness! How many (discarded) Airbrushes do you have! A custom micron and a Cs!o_O

D

debrartin

\ said:
Hi all

Yes I'm agree H&S ultra is good one. But Iwata and badger are also good for airbrushing. I use

badger airbrush accessories and iwata eclipse. Both works great for me.

View attachment 116075

View attachment 116076

150_new.jpg

iw-ecl-cs-l-1114.jpg

Last edited:
A

Airfix Modeller Freak

\ said:
Yes I'm agree H&S ultra is good one. But Iwata and badger are also good for airbrushing. I use
badger airbrush accessories and iwata eclipse. Both works great for me.

View attachment 127399

View attachment 127400
The eclipse is a popular airbush around here. However, I find the eclipse offers better performance than the ultra. If going for an ultra, go for an evo, or a high performance plus by iwata

D

dubster72

\ said:
The eclipse is a popular airbush around here. However, I find the eclipse offers better performance than the ultra. If going for an ultra, go for an evo, or a high performance plus by iwata
Surely if the OP is asking about an Ultra, then cost is a factor?

I know there's lots of people on here with deep pockets, but spare a thought for those on more limited budgets!

If someone is contemplating an upgrade from a £30 airbrush, suggestions examples that retail at a much higher price is really not particularly helpful John.

Whilst in theory I'd agree that better tools are always likely to give a better performance, they won't make anyone better overnight.

Let's try to keep within peoples boundaries & expectations.

L

Laurie

\ said:
:eek: Oh you meant the smaller cup! :D
Yes John here are the two eclipses. Both do practically the same job in delivery of paint.

The CS cup takes about half a cup of Vallejo Paint. The BS cup about one eighth.

Laurie

View attachment 116079

1.jpg

L

Laurie

\ said:
But we do not know their boundaries or expectations Patrick. The idea here is to give them

all that thirsty information which we each have, from our experiences, both in the use of an

airbrush and the purpose for which it is going to be used.

Airbrushers then can access the airbrush for themselves their application coupled with how much they

wish to spend. For me if I want something I need information all I can get. The number of times I have

been intent on buying an item to be swayed in finding with information gleaned another item better suited.

Another point is that there are many here who will read all of this and welcome all the information stored here.

Laurie

D

dubster72

\ said:
But we do not know their boundaries or expectations Patrick. The idea here is to give them
all that thirsty information which we each have, from our experiences, both in the use of an

airbrush and the purpose for which it is going to be used.

Airbrushers then can access the airbrush for themselves their application coupled with how much they

wish to spend. For me if I want something I need information all I can get. The number of times I have

been intent on buying an item to be swayed in finding with information gleaned another item better suited.

Another point is that there are many here who will read all of this and welcome all the information stored here.

Laurie
Ah but we do, because it's in the original post! The OP has told us what they have now & what they're interested in.

It seems to me that whenever the question of a new airbrush is raised, everyone starts extolling the virtues of very expensive items.

Nothing wrong with that, but it's entirely possible that the best replies to the OPs question become lost in a sea of replies about Eclipses & Hi-Lines.

There's a wealth of information relating to airbrushes on here for those who want to spend serious money - all I'm saying is let's keep things relevant to the original question.

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

\ said:
Surely if the OP is asking about an Ultra, then cost is a factor?
I know there's lots of people on here with deep pockets, but spare a thought for those on more limited budgets!

If someone is contemplating an upgrade from a £30 airbrush, suggestions examples that retail at a much higher price is really not particularly helpful John.

Whilst in theory I'd agree that better tools are always likely to give a better performance, they won't make anyone better overnight.

I completely agree-Just providing a wide range for others who are looking at different options if you know what I mean.

Personally, when I got my first AB, I didn't get the best I could afford-I bought an iwata Neo, which wasn't too great. When I purchased the hi-line however, (albeit, at a much more discounted price due to winnings at IPMS shows), I felt it had a lot more to offer than my eclipse or neo, which is why I sold my neo a while back now.

As for the costs, (please excuse me now John, although it doesn't really matter, because you stock H&S now) I bought all my iwatas from hobbylink japan. Excellent quick service, and they are a distributor of Iwata and other brands of airbrushes. This means that prices aren't as dear on, say airbrushes.co.uk which really is up there if you are looking at a hi line or an infinity.

John

Last edited:
A

Airfix Modeller Freak

\ said:
Yes John here are the two eclipses. Both do practically the same job in delivery of paint.
The CS cup takes about half a cup of Vallejo Paint. The BS cup about one eighth.

Laurie

View attachment 127403
my bad mate-completely misunderstood!