Looking for the blueprints

N

nemisis02

I am looking for the blueprints for the refits that DKM Scharnhorst and DKM Gneisenau were to have recieved. Have had trouble locating any info related to these refits, aside from the fact that they were to recieve them. Can anyone please help me?

N

nemisis02

Ok the blueprints I am looking for are for Scharnhorst and Gneisenau as they would have been completed had the 15in. guns been available during original construction, or had been able to go through the conversion at a later time. Sorry for the confusion.

S

subzero

\ said:
Ok the blueprints I am looking for are for Scharnhorst and Gneisenau as they would have been completed had the 15in. guns been available during original construction, or had been able to go through the conversion at a later time. Sorry for the confusion.
Hi, try this site they have plans for the ships you requested

The Floating Drydock

go to the master plan list then scroll down past ALL the U.S stuff to German navy. I don't know if they have the refits for you though.

regards sub.

Last edited:
N

nemisis02

Thanks for the help Sub. I have the plans from Floating Drydock, but they are of the ship as finished with 28cm guns. My biggest problem is not knowing how much the beam, draught, and length would have been increased to accommodate the the heavier twin 38.1cm turrets.

S

subzero

\ said:
Thanks for the help Sub. I have the plans from Floating Drydock, but they are of the ship as finished with 28cm guns. My biggest problem is not knowing how much the beam, draught, and length would have been increased to accommodate the the heavier twin 38.1cm turrets.
Hi,

I may be wrong... but I don't believe any of those would have beem altered as they are set when the ship is built, to alter the beam and length is a major, major building job. It would probably have been easier to build a new hull rather than do the mods to the fundamental structure of the hull, ie beam , length etc, probably the only thing that would have changed would have been the draft due to more top weight being added, and the obvious deck and under deck modifications.

hope this helps. Sub.

N

nemisis02

The length and beam would probably been modified as well, not that big of a construction problem had the war gone in Germany's favor. Remember that several American warships built prior to WW2 were modernized, which involved adding length and beam. I do believe the Japanese also enlarged several warships in this manner. Its just a matter of resources and time, neither of which Germany had.

S

subzero

\ said:
The length and beam would probably been modified as well, not that big of a construction problem had the war gone in Germany's favor. Remember that several American warships built prior to WW2 were modernized, which involved adding length and beam. I do believe the Japanese also enlarged several warships in this manner. Its just a matter of resources and time, neither of which Germany had.
Well there you go.

Maybe thats why you cannot find any plans of the mods you require, did they actually do them ??

regards.

N

nemisis02

I guess in the process of changing the ships during construction they may have destroyed the original plans. That would be a shame. I only guess that the hulls as finished were not as large as if they had had 38.1cm guns from the get go, because the twin 38.1cm turrets were almost 400mt apiece heavier then the triple 28cm turrets. Plus considering how wet both ships were forward only up gunning them would probably have made them sink in heavy seas.

N

nemisis02

No they didn't actually convert the main battery over to the 38.1cm guns, but the ships were originally designed to carry six 38.1cm guns not the nine 28cm guns they ended up with. I am sure that when it was decided to use the smaller weapon the size of the ship was decreased as well to increase the protection of vital areas of the ship.

S

subzero

\ said:
No they didn't actually convert the main battery over to the 38.1cm guns, but the ships were originally designed to carry six 38.1cm guns not the nine 28cm guns they ended up with. I am sure that when it was decided to use the smaller weapon the size of the ship was decreased as well to increase the protection of vital areas of the ship.
Just going off topic,,, re your avatar

Is that a 60 's Dodge charger ??

Whatever it is it looks great !

Regards Sub.

N

nemisis02

No it is not a Charger, it's a 1970 Chevelle SS with a 454 big block. Still i love all old muscle cars.

S

subzero

\ said:
No it is not a Charger, it's a 1970 Chevelle SS with a 454 big block. Still i love all old muscle cars.
Nice.......

Any more pics

Regards.

S

subzero

Thanks for the pics, stunning car........ if only.

regards Sub.

N

nemisis02

Wish I had those cars, but alas. I do own two cars that are to be restoration projects, a 66 Chevy Impala and a 69 Chevelle, possibly also a 66 Corvair.