Luftwaffe desert scheme masking

selrach

SMF Supporter
Hi Tony, Good job so far! I have used a similar technique with paper masks. One thing you might try is to use a gauge of paper of similar to reordering slips found in periodicals or magazines. To trace the holes I have used a biro or ball point pen to create the pattern. I trace around hole areas until the paper is weakened so these areas can be punched out leaving rough edges. Getting rough edges to the holes are the key. The masks are attached like you do with Blue-Tac or loops of tape. Spacing above the model can be adjusted as needed. I use paint thinned to the consistancy of milk and fairly high pressure to get the best atomisation. I start the spray off the holes to prevent spatter. Paint build up is gradual in two or more quick passes waving the spray over the holes, pausing in between. There is some finesse involved! Practice makes perfect!

Cheers!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Had a go at the fuselage today , bit more tricky than the wings but here it is . I had to do it in stages , holding the template over the surface and working my way up the fuselage . I had to add a few blotches on the top of the engine and top of the fuselage , which I did by cutting a couple of shapes on their own at the edge of the template and doing these one by one . IMG_3723.jpegIMG_3724.jpegIMG_3725.jpegIMG_3727.jpegIMG_3728.jpegIMG_3730.jpeg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I think that looks perfect Tony, just the right amount of 'blur' around the edges. Awesome work