Mainstay

First Name
Mike
Trumpeter 1/144 A-50 Mainstay. Pretty big for a 1/144 plane, it's got a wingspan of over 14". Nicely detailed kit, I upgraded it with chaff dispensers, additional strakes on the undercarriage fairings and various aerials/antennae that were visible on photos of the real thing. Biggest challenge was getting all twenty tyres touching the ground.

P

Polux

Looks very clean and tidy, like all your builds ;)

Can I ask how many builds you have...? You don't stop to post!!! :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3:

Polux

First Name
Mike
\ said:
Can I ask how many builds you have...? You don't stop to post!!!
Thanks Polux. Some of the builds I've posted recently date back 10 years or so; in that time I've probably built about 70 models. I won't be posting all of them...

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
That is a fantastic looking bird I like this a lot

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
No need to tell you this is right up my street Mike!!! Superb job as always on a seldom seen aircraft /kit , great build all the way from me! cheers tony

W

Willi262

I have about 12 more kits hanging around here that I have not posted any specific pictures of. I did them years ago and feel that the forum should be used for new stuff primarily. If or when I get re-releases of previous kits I had done, then I would post new pics, and probably comparison shots as well. But as it goes, I tend to save the posting for the new stuff.

S

spongtastic

Very nice, how do you highlight the panel lines on a white airframe? Have a Jap Seahawk on the list and could do with a pointer.

First Name
Mike
\ said:
Very nice, how do you highlight the panel lines on a white airframe? Have a Jap Seahawk on the list and could do with a pointer.
Thanks guys. Spongtastic, I used light-grey watercolour for the panel lines on the white areas, and a slightly darker grey on the grey paintwork.

\ said:
I have about 12 more kits hanging around here that I have not posted any specific pictures of. I did them years ago and feel that the forum should be used for new stuff primarily. If or when I get re-releases of previous kits I had done, then I would post new pics, and probably comparison shots as well. But as it goes, I tend to save the posting for the new stuff.
Fair enough Steve, each to his own. Personally I'd like to see your 12 kits that you've built - they may not be new to you, but they'd be new to the forum members. I don't see that it matters really, it's just interesting/inspiring/motivating to see others' built kits and keeps the forum active. YMMV.

W

Willi262

I suppose, since you put it that way. I hadn't really considered it fully.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Yet another master piece. I do enjoy seeing your builds. New or old.

Those Ruskies do like there birds big!

Ian M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Some of the builds I've posted recently date back 10 years or so; in that time I've probably built about 70 models. I won't be posting all of them...
I wouldn't mind if you did :smiling3:

That's another lovely build. I was particularly impressed with the wash you've got into all those detailed panel lines and access hatches. Which method do you usually use? I see above that you use watercolours (which I've never tried) and I assume you do this as a pin wash?

I've tried all sorts over the years but still get inconsistent results with all of them! That probably says more about my ineptitude than the techniques :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

First Name
Mike
Thanks Steve. A pin wash, yes: I load a fine brush with watercolour and just touch it to the end of each panel line. Capillary action then flows it along the panel line. It's quite labour-intensive but it gives me complete control. I can change the wash colour for each camo colour and it avoids the staining/streaking that results from using the Florry-type washes. There's nothing at all wrong with those and I've used them on occasion, but I like the very neat, clean look of the water colours.

Z

Ziper_it

I was missing this excellent build.

I love your clean jobs, please post more of them.

Francesco

S

Stevekir

\ said:
Thanks guys. Spongtastic, I used light-grey watercolour for the panel lines on the white areas, and a slightly darker grey on the grey paintwork.Fair enough Steve, each to his own. Personally I'd like to see your 12 kits that you've built - they may not be new to you, but they'd be new to the forum members. I don't see that it matters really, it's just interesting/inspiring/motivating to see others' built kits and keeps the forum active. YMMV.
I agree.

And another stunning model. I store them to record what I am aiming at.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Great job Mike, even in 144 it looks a beast.