Making wood look aged

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I recently did a trawl of various site regarding how to make new wood look aged. There are loads of products out there to do this but some are frankly bloomin expensive.

I came upon this technique though which in my opinion is cheap as chips and looks ok.

Firstly get some white malt/pickling vinegar and steel wool. You need the wool to be clean and not impregnated with cleaning products. I bought a pack of 12 off evilbay for 50p.

Place the steel wool into a spare pot (yogurt pots are ideal) and put in a measured amount of vinegar. Leave this to do its thing for at least 24 hours.

When ready add the same measured amount of water to the solution. So if you added 10 cap fulls of vinegar then add 10 cap fulls of water.

Use an old paint brush and brush the solution onto your bit of wood. I have used a lollipop stick to show you.

As you can see it turns the 'new' wood old and grey. It can be sealed with acrylic matt varnish

P

phalinmegob

a very good tip allyne,i usually paint the wood with a highly thinned mixture of grey paint and let it soak in to the grain. i have a bottle of mig wood aging solution and it is cr*p, i always end up painting the timber.will try making a bottle of this up.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Andrew the vinegar must be clear/white. Defo worth a shot though