Making your own decals..how to??

F

funkyrimpler

ive read a few posts on here by modellers making there own decals, or copies from the original sheet. is this done with a scanner? if so, what is the process? Also what kind of paper and inks do i need? I have a standard ink jet printer with its OE cartridges. I'd like to make my own and also make copies as an extra bit of 'insurance' when the inevitable disaster strikes!!

Thanks for any advice!

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
well i am no expert but my lexmark multi printer scanner can do a pritty good job of them - i normally take the origonals and lay them on the scanner glass then i put a piece of A4 over them this gives me the print size - paper and sealing sprays can be bought from ebay or amizon, 2 types of paper white or clear the white you need to trim real neatly or you are left with a white boarder around the edge, clear cut to shape and slap it on - in reality the job takes a bit longer and you need to water proof the ink once you print it - i print the decals required and leave for 24 hours then 2-3 coats of clear varnish and leave that for another 24 hours when you cut out the finished artical luke warm water and the minute it starts to lift remove dry off and place on the modle, thing to remember is these are a lot heavier than the supplied decals but with plenty of sol they blend in and mould on to the model well

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
I sell decal paper for both laser and inkjet's if you have access to a laser it's much easier you don't have to coat them once they are printed they are ready to use, with inkjet like simontie said coat them in decal film will seal them

W

Waffen Bucks

I've used the inkjet decal paper before. Really good stuff and only needs a quick coat of varnish. Really comes in handy for those swastika decals that aren't always included with the Axis planes/trucks etc. Also, if you're a bit of a dab hand with photoshop etc, you can pre weather the decal.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Life would be so much easier if you could get an inkjet that could print white, or even better, a laser printer....

I'm amazed that no one jumped in on the Micro Dry system when ALPS went belly up.

Ian M

C

Curtis

Now this is definitely something I'm going to have to look into doing!