Marks A6M3 zero type 22.

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Cracking progress Mark, you'll be throwing paint at this in no time at all... :thumb2:
Thanks chris,
As for painting, ive just been looking into that, it is said that many jap planes werent primed and suffered from extensive paint flaking/chipping, this is true in a lot of cases but after just having a read it would seem all the zeros were primed, well i fancied doing a real flaky/ chipped paint job, i will still do some but nowhere near as much as i planned. Im using mr color laquer paints for this and have read that chipping fluid dosnt work well with laquers. So ive done a little experiment, the top of the panel has had a coat of ak worn effects and the bottom ive used vallejo masking fluid applied with a cocktail stick. The masking fluid comes off very easy and only chips where you wanted it to .
The chipping fluid has also worked although i had to be quite aggressive with the scrubbing . I kind of wish one of the methods hadnt worked then ide know which method to go for :thinking: 20230514_213538.jpg

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
It's definitely hard work chipping mr color paints!

I've found that anything other than ultra thin layers takes some serious scrubbing. Luckily lacquers can do such thin layers but it's a balance between being thin enough to chip sensibly and putting enough on for decent coverage.

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Had a coat of mr color sm 201 silver, after having a go with the chipping fluid on the cowling and not being particularly happy with it ive decided to go with the masking fluid chipping method, the results are much more predictable.20230517_214458.jpg20230517_214740.jpg