Martin's "Secure the position"

B

bikerbart

The story is this: Its June 1943, a wet and miserable day on the Eastern Front. Having spent days pushing the Germans back, its nearing the end of another bitter day of fighting. The Russian Tank Crew and the Infantry Tank Riders think they have seen the last of the enemy for the day and are content with their days fighting. Then suddenly sniper fire falls upon them....they must hold the position they have fought so hard for....................

So thats the story, whats the kits:

1) Tamiya 1/48th scale T34/76.

2) Tamiya 1/48th scale Russian Infantry and Tank Crew set.

So how will the build go:

Well there will be a lot of first's in this build for me, ive never made a tank before, ive never done figures before, and ive never done a dio before, infact ive hardley done any military before!!!

With this in mind i intend to keep things rather simple, i will concentrate on getting a good "weathered" finish on the tank, again ive hardly used pigments before so this will be a good opportunity to gain expierience there.

I will attempt to get a reasonable finish on the figures, having never done any before this should prove a good challange!!!!

The dio will be very simple, again never having done one i dont want to bite off more than i can chew on my first attempt.

I have to say this 1/48 scale is simply awsome from Tamiya, the detail is stunning. Im very much looking forward to getting started on this GB tomorrow........i hope you can join me on the journey, Regards to all, Martin :smiling:

View attachment 16573View attachment 16576View attachment 16575View attachment 16574View attachment 16572View attachment 16577View attachment 16580View attachment 16584View attachment 16578View attachment 16581View attachment 16583View attachment 16582View attachment 16579View attachment 16585View attachment 16586 For 1/48th scale this detailing is simply amazing :smiling:

View attachment 24665

View attachment 24666

View attachment 24667

View attachment 24668

View attachment 24669

View attachment 24670

View attachment 24671

View attachment 24672

View attachment 24673

View attachment 24674

View attachment 24675

View attachment 24676

View attachment 24677

View attachment 24678

View attachment 24679

088.jpg

084.jpg

087.jpg

086.jpg

085.jpg

089.jpg

092.jpg

097.jpg

090.jpg

093.jpg

094.jpg

095.jpg

091.jpg

096.jpg

098.jpg

K

Kressy13

Hi mate.

This sounds very interesting indeed and the quality of the kits looks really good. Can't wait too see your progress with it all. I'm sure they will turn out great.

Have fun.

Kresten.

PJP

Peter/Pedro/Hey you
First Name
Peter
I'm liking what I'm seeing, and the storyline that goes with it!

Peter

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Great kits Martin, I'm sure your first armour project will be a real stunner!

Cheers

Paul

B

bikerbart

Thanks for the support guys, means a lot. This whole GB thing is great, gets us doing and thinking of models we may never have otherwise done. Im very much looking forward to seeing what others are doing, regards to all, Martin :smiling:

F

Fenlander

Well there will be a lot of first's in this build for me, ive never made a tank before, ive never done figures before, and ive never done a dio before, infact ive hardley done any military before!!!
This is what we like to see, modellers who play safe :laughing:

Great story line and concept, really looking forward to seeing it progress Martin.

N

noble

Good story and very nice kits best of luck i will be watching.

scott

C

Cov1

Some nice models to be built there Martin.

It seems to be the 'in thing' to do 1/48 as you get more in the space. Those Tamiya kits do have tons of crisp detail, though I've never done one, a friend had a Tiger 1 kit ll the other day he was showing me. Absolutely great detailing and parts which 1/35 don't have.

Seems you've put some thought into this as well and for a newcommer to military models that's a very confident move. Look forward to seeing these beauts getting built I'm sure you will do a cracking job.

All the best

Ade

B

bikerbart

Well ive decided to bite the bullet as it were and really push the boat (or tank in this case) out on this build. As you know by now my aim is to build the 1/48th scale Russian T34/76 by Tamiya and put it in a dio. So i came to thinking shall i look around and see if there is some "extras" for the tank.....and guess what.... there is!!!

Ive been pondering the subject of PE and alike and asking myself the question "whats the big deal" regarding PE and Resin....well only one way to find out....and that is to try it. So ive ordered the PE Kit and aluminium barrel, should be here in a couple of days so will post up some pics when i get it....see this GB thing is great im trying something else new :smiling: Regards to all, Martin.

B

bikerbart

View attachment 17050View attachment 17046View attachment 17045View attachment 17044View attachment 17043View attachment 17048View attachment 17042View attachment 17047View attachment 17049View attachment 17041Okey dokey...some progress with the project. Ive decided to start with the figs first as ive never done any before, and just to make it real simple for myself ive chosen them in 1/48th scale !!!!! Just to show how tiny these are the first pic is showing 1/35th on the left (just a fig im practicing on) and the 1/48th on the right !!!!

Fig numbers 2 and 3 show the tiny maxim machine gun...this comes in 6 pieces !!! Pics numbers 4,5 and 6 show a fig put together still to be painted, he is holding the machine gun as i needed it loose in place tp position the arms first....the gun is almost finished, just need to do the stock...this fig alone with the gun consists of 15 pieces !!!!

Pics numbers 7,8,9 and 10 show a completed fig, this is the guy that will be pulling the maxim machine gun. Im fairly happy with it considering its my first attempt...however i would appreciate and constructive comments on areas i can improve. Regards Martin :smiling:

View attachment 25017

View attachment 25018

View attachment 25019

View attachment 25020

View attachment 25021

View attachment 25022

View attachment 25023

View attachment 25024

View attachment 25025

View attachment 25026

035.jpg

033.jpg

028.jpg

027.jpg

037.jpg

036.jpg

030.jpg

029.jpg

032.jpg

040.jpg

F

Fenlander

If they are your first figures Martin, you are really on the right track. I have lost count of seeing peoples first figures at this scale with red lips white eyes and dots in the eye. OK, by all means try it but before you do, go outside and hold up a figure at a bent arms length. Then ask someone to walk down the street until they appear the same size as the figure then look how much detail you can see in the persons face. That is what you are aiming for and it looks to me as you have it about right.

As for the uniforms, they can be slightly 'enhanced' but don't go overboard. I like to do a dark wash over the figure to deepen shadows in folds and as it settles around belts and pockets, it lifts the details quite nicely. However, it is very easy to go overboard and if you get hold of some older publications of figure painting, they go as far as to prime the figure in black and paint the clothing colour on leaving a border of the black primer around the detail, to me that is far too much whereas the wash does it just about right for me.

Keep it coming Martin, you are off to a flying start.

B

bikerbart

Thanks Graham, i very nearly did an all over wash on the uniform, but bottled it at the last min !!! Having seen your reply ive decided i will add it tomorrow, ive gotta try these things at some stage. I used a wash on the sac on his back and the water bottle etc as you can probably see...dont know why i was so afraid to carry it through to the uniform?

I studied lots of articles on the net before doing the flesh/face and hands and as you say it normally goes wrong in this sort of scale with totally artifical lips and eyes. I just kept shading and leaving it then going back to see if it was right...seems to have paid off thankfully. I have used the paints range from Games Workshop...i also went in there for a free lesson on face painting. Its basically their foundation flesh and their white, also used the flesh wash they have. The wash really brings the features such as lips cheeks eyes and fingers to life.

Anyway..only around another 8/9 figs to go lol...appreciate the help mate, regards Martin :smiling:

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Martin

These figures are coming along very nicely, the weapons look very life-like. I can appreciate the difficulties in the smaller scale too. Don't be afraid of washes, if you've used acrylics to paint the figures, use an oil based wash thinned with white spirit. If you're unhappy with the results simply wash it off with a little more white spirit - it won't harm the acrylic paint.

Looking great so far.

Cheers

P

B

bikerbart

Cheers Paul, yer a diamond geezer. I have used acrylics as you say...the wash im using is one i bought from games workshop, so not sure if its oil based but am guessing it is as they use acrylics on thier stuff...do you reckon i should use just plain black wash or is it best i make a wash in a similar colour to the uniforms but just darker??? Your help and advise is appreciated as is everyone else's...regards Martin :smiling:

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
If it we're me using a new product I'd test it on something else first. Why not test on your 1/35 test piece?

I think the black is probably going to be the one (if the wash is thin enough) but please test first!

Cheers

P

B

bikerbart

Der brain me again lol....will test on the trial fig....good point there buddy...off to do it now :smiling: Cheers, Martin

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
This might be too late Martin but I don't use bought washes and 'special' weathering pigments.

For washes, like Paul, I use enamel paints very well diluted with turps and just paint it on liberally with a good big brush. It will run down and gather in the nooks and crannies, finger nails, you name it....job done.

Pigments? The pound shop sell big boxes of various colour children's pastels, scrape some off, apply with a dry brush, done.

If you want dirt, your drive is full of the stuff. I am being serious, that's all I have ever used!

Although I haven't commented on your actual dio., I am watching progress with interest.

Ron

B

bikerbart

Wotcha Ron, thanks mate i really do appreciate all the help and advise you guys are providing, its proving invaluable as you will see from my next post with pics i shall put up in a mo. I will start to make my own washes, just happens i have some knocking around from previous so ganna use them up first, as for the rest of the tips...well im ganna give em all a go, thanks again bud, all the best, Martin :smiling:

B

bikerbart

View attachment 17088View attachment 17087View attachment 17086View attachment 17085View attachment 17084View attachment 17083View attachment 17082View attachment 17081View attachment 17080Do you ever get one of them days where everything goes just right? (no i dont normally either) Well today has been brilliant. Having taken the advise given by Graham, Paul and Ron i have bitten the bullet and gone with using a "wash" on the figure ive completed today. The results can be seen in the pics. I put this fig together yesterday and painted it in one hit today using tamiya acrylics and games workshop wash...oh and ive used a dash of white oil paint for highlighting on the face, boots and some of the uniform.

I just cant believe the differance from the first fig yesterday and this one...so im ganna do the first one over again.

Cant thank you guys enogh in giving me the push to go with the wash...i shant be looking back in future :smiling: Any further comments/adise welcome, all the best, Martin.

View attachment 25056

View attachment 25057

View attachment 25058

View attachment 25059

View attachment 25060

View attachment 25061

View attachment 25062

View attachment 25063

View attachment 25064

014.jpg

009.jpg

012.jpg

011.jpg

018.jpg

017.jpg

016.jpg

015.jpg

019.jpg

B

bikerbart

Well it really has been a good day...i had a delivery from the postie today...the PE set i sent off for has arrived. Some of you may have read a thread where i was questioning PE and if it was worth using....well having now got my hands on this i can say i will DEFINATELY be looking at it more for other builds in the future. First off the price for this addition which includes the aluminium barrel...£6.00....what a bargin for quality such as this from Lion Roar. There is no two ways about it, this will enhance the tank no end. Anyway pics here to look at, regards Martin.

View attachment 17089View attachment 17090View attachment 17093View attachment 17092View attachment 17094View attachment 17091

View attachment 25065

View attachment 25066

View attachment 25067

View attachment 25068

View attachment 25069

View attachment 25070

001.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

002.jpg

005.jpg

008.jpg