Matt varnish issues

Jad

First Name
John
As a complete newbie, I’m just coming to the end of my first model in 45+ years and I’ve really enjoyed the experience,
But having brush mark issues with VMS Matt Varnish.
I’ve tried without thinning and thinned and still having the problem.
Any help appreciated ?
image.jpg

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
It's a real shame. I am generally a big fan of VMS products. VMS Matt varnish does airbrush well but I have not heard how it performs when brush painting although it does dry very quickly so maybe the brush marks you have are due to the varnish drying before it can level out and so leaving the brush marks. Just maybe adding a retarder could help but test it first.
We have all had similar issues but when it happens at the end of a build it seems so much more disappointing.

Reactions: Jad

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I'm sure you did but it needs shaking/mixing really, really well. Maybe it's a duff bottle :thinking: Can't help beyond that, sorry.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Can't help as I don't use it but a YouTube modeller by the name Night Shift swears by it ... I'm sure he did a guide on it a couple of years ago....it might have been in one of his build threads though.... Can't remember which one.

Hope you sort it out.

Andrew

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Having never used VMS I can only give general comments. Matt varnish needs to have the living cramp shook out of it. Then stirred until you can no longer feel you hand. Good with the thinners (same brand) then more mixing IN A JAR. Never in the air brush. Test the mix on a card. If the mix is good, thin as milk but will not spray turn the air up. A little at a time untill it sprays.
Build up a couple of light coats then finish with a more generous coating.

Komedy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Warren
VMS Varnish is great but takes a little to get used to. This is what works for me very well. One or two drops of Acrylic Thinner added and then no more than 2 drops of flow improver, then run through a 0.4mm at 20PSI BUT with a light trigger action, don't pull full back, works a charm.

Jad

First Name
John
VMS Varnish is great but takes a little to get used to. This is what works for me very well. One or two drops of Acrylic Thinner added and then no more than 2 drops of flow improver, then run through a 0.4mm at 20PSI BUT with a light trigger action, don't pull full back, works a charm.
Would Vallejo thinner and flow improver work ?

Komedy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Warren
Would Vallejo thinner and flow improver work ?
Yes both are perfect but only a few drops of each, you are not doing what you would normally with other paint systems, i.e. get it milky thin. In truth its does work without either however I find a few drops of each just helps things along. The light trigger action is the key.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Such a shame a good model has been spoiled this way. I use AK interactive Ultra Matte Varnish (AK 183) which dries really matte, it can be brushed or airbrushed.

Panzerwrecker

SMF Supporter
First Name
Los
I'm pretty sure it has dried before levelling out. I've never had an issue with their Satin or matt varnishes myself but it has always been applied through an airbrush. I pre mix with approx 10-20% of VMS thinner and spray at 20-25psi with a 0.4 needle.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Winsor and Newton Galleria Matt varnish is good for brush painting.I couldnt get a Matt finish on a 72nd Sherman after brush paintung Vallejo Gloss varnish followed by Matt.Peter Day told me about Galleria and it works well in thin layers.
Hooe that helps a bit.
Rich

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I will second Windsor and Newton Galleria, also comes in spray cans. If anything I find their Matt to be a bit too flat on occasion.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Fourthed, and Humbrol Matt Cote will replace it at a pinch. It’s pretty much the same stuff…..

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I use vms ,just make sure you give it a proper old shake ,think your find its supposed to be used straight nothing added ,I watched a video and the bloke absolutely lashed it on but the end result spoke for itself so I took my cue from him have never had a problem ,I put it through a .3 (biggest needle ive got)air pressures everybody works to their own happy place I never change mine. Not that I've ever bothered to read the lable(I leave that to the alchemists) but does it recommend brush painting?if you find some videos to watch I think your find its lash it on self leveling for best results use a air brush. Dave