Matt varnish

A

AVB99

I can never get varnishing right. I strugled with gloss varnish and It's still not perfect. Now I have problems with flat varnish.

The picture shows an unfinished 1/48 figure. It has been painted with Tamiya XF-24 - a new bottle. The paint was shaken and stirred until my arm ached. It went on well but fried to a slight sliky-matt finish which is not right for RAF overalls. I therefore applied matt varnish which again I stirred and shook until Iwas blue in the face. The reults is an even glossier finish which the picture does not fully show.

Would some kind person please give me some step by step, fool proof instructions on how to get a totally matt finish.

Thanks

View attachment 57966

View attachment 59850

fig1.jpg

Last edited:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I don't think that you are doing anything wrong. I'll let someone who uses Tamiya comment on the varnish.

Cheers

Steve

First Name
Michael
Hi Aiden, I've had varied results with different brands of matt varnish, some being flatter than others. I use Tamiya paints a lot but use Alclad flat varnish over them which results in a very flat finish. Was it Tamiya varnish? M

A

AVB99

\ said:
Hi Aiden, I've had varied results with different brands of matt varnish, some being flatter than others. I use Tamiya paints a lot but use Alclad flat varnish over them which results in a very flat finish. Was it Tamiya varnish? M
Yes it was/is Tamiya varnish Michael. You think that I should use Alclad? I'll try anything!

Best wishes

Aidan

First Name
Michael
Alclad works for me Aiden, I use airbrush to apply it, I've no idea if it brushes well though. M

A

AVB99

\ said:
Alclad works for me Aiden, I use airbrush to apply it, I've no idea if it brushes well though. M
That's a good point. I tend to brush on the paint and varnish onto small figures. Hmmmm

G

GazB

Can't comment on Tamiya varnish - I use Vallejo Matt varnish with both a brush and an airbrush, it gives a very very flat finish.

M

m1ks

I didn't think tamiya do a flat / Matte or even satin varnish, the only one in the range is gloss as far as i'm aware? Someone correct me if mistaken.

My understanding is that the flat base in teh tamiya range is sold to create the relevant semi gloss, satin, matte finish as required?

Re the flat base, I can give you working ratio's which I've tried, (with Klear but it worked a treat, too much and you get chalky coverage)

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Tamiya have just started doing a matt varnish mike ,XF 86 , i havent tried it yet though so cant say whether its any good or not. Aidan , Ive been using the windsor and newton Galeria Matt varnish lately and it sprays and brushes lovely and gives a nice matt finish, cheers tony

D

Danny

Like Tony above I also use Galeria Matt varnish..They also do a satin which creates a very even coverage and sheen..

Danny

T

tecdes

Like Gaz I use all three different Vallejo Varnishes.

Their matt varnish. after airbrushing Vallejo Model Air it looks very matt. Then apply their Matt Varnish & the difference is remarkable it really is matt matt.

Vallejo do a remarkable number of different paints yet all take the same varnish.

A comment. I use only Vallejo but I have watched on this forum the numbers of members who have problems with other paints. What is it that is attractive, considering the apparent difficulties, to these other paints ?

Laurie

A

AVB99

I get a slight gloss finish with Vallejo matt varnish Laurie so it's obviously me doing something wrong.

I'm wondering if it's the fact that I'm brush painting. I don't slap on the paint but it is thicker and heavier than when air brushed. I brush paint because I cannot be bothered to mask off the head and the hands and the shoes.

Best wishes

Aidan

T

tecdes

Not matt varnished with a hand brush so cannot explain that Aidan. I do know that airbrushing produces a finish as matt as you could possibly get.

I will have a go. Wonder if you are getting full coverage. Also if you have a gloss finish to begin with if you are dragging the matt varnish away. Whereas with airbrush you are laying it on evenly & in thin layers at each pass of the airbrush also & it dries very quickly in those thin layers.

Laurie

A

AVB99

\ said:
Not matt varnished with a hand brush so cannot explain that Aidan. I do know that airbrushing produces a finish as matt as you could possibly get.I will have a go. Wonder if you are getting full coverage. Also if you have a gloss finish to begin with if you are dragging the matt varnish away. Whereas with airbrush you are laying it on evenly & in thin layers at each pass of the airbrush also & it dries very quickly in those thin layers.

Laurie
I think you will be right Laurie. Guess I have stop being lazy and add all the masks and the airbrush. It's such a long job. Different masks for body, face, hands, hair, shoes.

Best wishes

Aidan

First Name
Michael
I think you're right, airbrushing must be the answer. Laurie I've heard great things about Valejo but I can't buy them locally. I know there is the internet but I really want to use a range of paints which are easy for me to replace and nip out for, I'm always forgetting to get the paints I need and having to wait for online deliveries would be a pain. Also I like Tamiya paints. M

T

tecdes

Michael John in the shop will have them to you next day.

Aidan my assumptions are right. Airbrush Matt on your figures. Then when dry handbrush the bits you want gloos or Satin. Much easier.

Laurie

A

AVB99

\ said:
Michael John in the shop will have them to you next day.Aidan my assumptions are right. Airbrush Matt on your figures. Then when dry handbrush the bits you want gloos or Satin. Much easier.

Laurie
Thank you Laurie

I have six in all to do including one to redo so I'll get cracking.

C

Caledonia

I Had a similar problem with Vallejo Varnishes until I bought a Badger Paint Mixer, I thought paint mixers were a gimmick untill I bought one - plenty of suppliers. I get consistent matt finishes now with a brush and airbrush. Your problem is the varnish isn't mixed thoroughly enough. Derek

Badger Air-Brush Co. 121 Paint Mixer

Last edited:
A

AVB99

\ said:
I Had a similar problem with Vallejo Varnishes until I bought a Badger Paint Mixer, I thought paint mixers were a gimmick untill I bought one - plenty of suppliers. I gget consistent matt finishes now with a brush and airbrush. Your problem is the varnish isn't mixed thoroughly enough. DerekBadger Air-Brush Co. 121 Paint Mixer
This would not surprise me Derek. I shake and stir, shake and stir but always worry that I could still do more. What a faff!!!!

Well I've now airbrushed matt primer onto five figures. I'll airbrush the paint scheme onto them and then, if the figures need it, will spray shaken and stirred, varnish onto one of them to see if it's the hand brushing that's the problem.

T

tecdes

Actually Vallejo tell you not to vigourously mix the varnish as it will produce air bubbles. They say gently move. After saying that I suppose like all things if it works for you so what. I just give it a little shake for 5 secs & have hve not had any difficulties.

Vallejo do another varnish . This is acrylic as the others but polyurethane. This does not need any shaking at all. But although it does act in the same way airbrushing it does take a little longer to cure. It is also according to Vallejo more robust. Used this & it works well.

Laurie