Metal colours help please

First Name
Dave
I'm looking to build a p-47 with a bare metal finish I use mr color but never used metal type paints I.e. alclad,ak and mr metal any advice/experience anyone could share would be helpful I'd like something I can clear coat over so I can handle it without getting fingerprints.

Dave

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Alclad is a lot tougher than people believe, and can be clear coated.
The AK True metal paints are wax based and can be buffed up, useful for picking out panels, only just got some so haven't used them yet.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I've come away from vallejo for airbrushing I find laquer based is proving far easier to use.

Dave
I would agree with that in general, but the metal Color range are formulated slightly differently from model or air color paints. Very fine pigments and excellent coverage make them stand out. They are worth having for brush painting alone. They are by far the best brush friendly metals on the market.
Failing those, I’d go for Alclad, but I think they are being discontinued So supply might be an issue. Don’t try Tamiya, the pigment is far too coarse.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I will say go Alclad. Only tips to give are keep the surface of the plastic 110% spotless and polished. Gloss black base. then Go at it. Very LIghtly! less is more and all that.
They make a very good clear finish as well.

Personally the only real pain in using them is the surface to paint has to be perfect. Any defect will show through the primer, base and finish. So once clean is glove time.

There are some very good acrylics out there but I still think Alclad does it best!

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
My top tip for metals is to use rapid thinner, rather than retarded. It seems to keep the metal pigments suspended better and looks , well, more metallic. The retarded thinners seem to let the pigments settle more and don't give as good a finish. And yes, I have tested with both because I am that sad.:tears-of-joy: