Micro set removing paint

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
PJ is trying to decal his Mustang kit. It's been sprayed with VMA Aluminium paint and he tried to fix a decal using Micro set. Good job he was watching what he was doing as the Micro set started to take the paint off.

Is this common? If not, does anyone know why it happened?

• Sad
Reactions: JR

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I seem to remember reading about this issue a while ago. That was over a metallic paint as well. I hope PJ can sort it.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Is that VMA aluminium one that can be polished, like the Mr Metal Color that I had trouble with on my Vampire?
Pete

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Is that VMA aluminium one that can be polished, like the Mr Metal Color that I had trouble with on my Vampire?
Pete

It's just the bog standard one Pete. Their number 71.062. I forgot to mention the paint's had a whole week to dry.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Very strange then Dave. I've used it and never had any problems using Micro set or sol.
Is it on top of some other paint?
Pete

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Not had that happen, though I did have it turn acrylic gloss varnish milky. Bit strange Dave.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
My question as well....Micro Set and Micro Sol are both pretty potent. even in 1-87 scale, if I'm doing a fairly large area I'll clear coat, just to be on the safe side.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
No other paint or varnish. Sounds like I should be using varnish of some description though. I'll try that next time.