MIG AMMO shaders

BigGrandad

Comfortably Numb
First Name
Graham
Hi everyone
have any of you used the MIG AMMO ’shaders’ at all. Interested in what they do and how they perform?

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Yes Graham.
The idea behind them is having a ready to use oil mix . None of the putting a blob of oil paint on a piece of cardboard, letting it disperse the turpentine, then mixing with sprits to thin to a useable medium .
After spraying the acrylic coats of paint with a satin varnish and allowing to fully dry I run a thin line of spirit where I want to put the oil first then blend in . So it saves the preparation and gives you a premixed oil , just requiring blending .
I've several tubes, the brown, green , these depend on what model type your building , some dirty mix " starship filth "
Really like them , time saving and I suppose a perfect blend of oil .
Hope this helps, plenty of videos on U Tube as well .

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
John, I'm wondering if Graham means these instead.

1630065185-85312200.jpg

I've used them a couple of times but not enough to be fully conversant yet. Basically a very transparent paint, like a glaze or filter, used to airbrush a slight "tint" to an area that can be built up in layers for a stronger or graduated effect. For a short time they can be manipulated or even removed with water.

Similar can be mixed up with regular paints using something like a glaze medium to reduce opacity, or even mixing paints or inks with a compatible clear varnish, but having a straight from the bottle product is very convenient.

Sorry for the huge picture, I lifted it straight from the shop

Last edited:

BigGrandad

Comfortably Numb
First Name
Graham
Yes Graham.
The idea behind them is having a ready to use oil mix . None of the putting a blob of oil paint on a piece of cardboard, letting it disperse the turpentine, then mixing with sprits to thin to a useable medium .
After spraying the acrylic coats of paint with a satin varnish and allowing to fully dry I run a thin line of spirit where I want to put the oil first then blend in . So it saves the preparation and gives you a premixed oil , just requiring blending .
I've several tubes, the brown, green , these depend on what model type your building , some dirty mix " starship filth "
Really like them , time saving and I suppose a perfect blend of oil .
Hope this helps, plenty of videos on U Tube as well .

BigGrandad

Comfortably Numb
First Name
Graham
John, I'm wondering if Graham means these instead.

1630065185-85312200.jpg

I've used them a couple of times but not enough to be fully conversant yet. Basically a very transparent paint, like a glaze or filter, used to airbrush a slight "tint" to an area that can be built up in layers for a stronger or graduated effect. For a short time they can be manipulated or even removed with water.

Similar can be mixed up with regular paints using something like a glaze medium to reduce opacity, or even mixing paints or inks with a compatible clear varnish, but having a straight from the bottle product is very convenient.

Sorry for the huge picture, I lifted it straight from the shop
Hi Andy
Yes, this is what I meant, it sounded like it was a ‘shortcut’ version of the technique John outlined.
If it works easily with an airbrush I think I will invest in some.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Andy
Yes, this is what I meant, it sounded like it was a ‘shortcut’ version of the technique John outlined.
If it works easily with an airbrush I think I will invest in some.
Yes see what you ment now Andy has shown the product .Is that oil based ? As I've tried acrylic types and thought the were very weak .
One to think about is Flory Models wash, easily removed with water if your not happy, and very effective

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I’ve found the Life colour liquid pigment set hard to use so wouldn’t recommend you try that one…..the pigment remover they supply in the set removes both the liquid pigment and the underlying paint :disappointed2:

• Sad

BigGrandad

Comfortably Numb
First Name
Graham
This is supposed to be water based and can be worked with/cleaned for a short period after application.
Think I will try one bottle and have a play on my test bed model.

Ernie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ernie
I have several shades, though have not used them yet. My understanding is they are basically acrylic inks. Ammo also put out a book on how to use them, but I have not been able to find a copy.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Yes see what you ment now Andy has shown the product .Is that oil based ? As I've tried acrylic types and thought the were very weak .
One to think about is Flory Models wash, easily removed with water if your not happy, and very effective
Water based John.

I used them on that tree if you remember it. Some yellow from above and dark green from below just to add a bit of highlight & shadow.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Water based John.

I used them on that tree if you remember it. Some yellow from above and dark green from below just to add a bit of highlight & shadow.
I do remember the build Andy , that came out well .
This is supposed to be water based and can be worked with/cleaned for a short period after application.
Think I will try one bottle and have a play on my test bed model.
Graham , hope you will post your findings, it's always best when someone has actually used the product rather than except the manufacturers blurb.
I have several shades, though have not used them yet. My understanding is they are basically acrylic inks. Ammo also put out a book on how to use them, but I have not been able to find a copy.
Ernie, it's been discontinued according to the Scale Model Shop ( run by John the site owner) Still available from several other on line shops if you really want a copy .

BigGrandad

Comfortably Numb
First Name
Graham
I do remember the build Andy , that came out well .

Graham , hope you will post your findings, it's always best when someone has actually used the product rather than except the manufacturers blurb.

Ernie, it's been discontinued according to the Scale Model Shop ( run by John the site owner) Still available from several other on line shops if you really want a copy .
Just ordered some from John!. If they are being discontinued, sounds like they are not very popular or even not very good!!.
should have waited till they were in the discontinued sale!!!

Ernie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ernie
Thank you John, I didn't realize the book was discontinued. If I happen to find one, i might pick it up, not a big deal, at least at the moment anyway.

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I've got several diffrent shades of what I'd call dirt colours in the shaders but have never used them ,I think ak do a demo on YouTube. Tim didn't get on with the life colour liquid pigments I think there great its one of thoes one mans bovril is another man's marshite I mean marmite.lm a great beliver in if you can't see it dont bother with it but I always prime and spray the under side of afvs a great place to test and get the feel for these products before taking them up top. Dave

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Not really their intended use but I added some variety to this bland looking static grass by using 4 different Ammo shaders. Olive drab, dark green, yellow & dirt.

PXL_20230626_173529450~2.jpg