Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
View attachment 107723

View attachment 107724

View attachment 107725

View attachment 107726

so I've finally finished this figure , it's my first full figure in this scale using oils and I'm 70% happy with it

Things I'm pleased with , face , Ive definitely improved since my last full face in this scale not vastly but an improvement, the armour this I think is quite good for me and I'm pleased with the way it turned out , the cloth parts I would love to have been able to say look what I've done here but I did need help and I thank everyone who gave suggestions and a big thank you to Paul P :smiling3:

Not what I'm happy with, the arms and legs there was not a lot of definition to these and the moulding was poor , its definitely an area I have to work on

The kit

This is not a good kit infact it's awful, no seems met properly and the upper body would not sit right it took a lot of filing to get it to look upright and not like the hunchback of notre dame, there was a decal for the shield but that just disintegrated as soon as it hit the water so totally unusable

Here's the pics and comments are welcomed :smiling3:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
P

Paul P

Alan there is no doubt that your figure painting skills have improved greatly, Miniart are well known for the poor fit of the parts and extra work is always needed to sort them. If I were to look at it from a completely judgemental perspective I would say that you need to spend a bit more time filling the seams and sanding them smooth, apart from that you have done an excellent job. There are other skills that you will pick up as you go and every figure you do will improve as you learn new techniques, you should be well pleased with this :smiling3:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Alan there is no doubt that your figure painting skills have improved greatly, Miniart are well known for the poor fit of the parts and extra work is always needed to sort them. If I were to look at it from a completely judgemental perspective I would say that you need to spend a bit more time filling the seams and sanding them smooth, apart from that you have done an excellent job. There are other skills that you will pick up as you go and every figure you do will improve as you learn new techniques, you should be well pleased with this :smiling3:
Thanks for that Paul I agree about the gaps I was hoping the scabbard would hide the one on the skirt, the legs were a big problem , I did fill and file them but it just made it worse , it's a learning curve and practice is what I need :smiling3:

P

Paul P

one thing I meant to say, and this is just my perception, but you seam to do these at the speed of light, try slowing down a bit and taking your time with each part, make sure you are completely happy with it before you move on, dry fit the bits and if they are not right get them to fit right before you do anything else.its great to see someone else doing figures

What do you use for filler ?

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
one thing I meant to say, and this is just my perception, but you seam to do these at the speed of light, try slowing down a bit and taking your time with each part, make sure you are completely happy with it before you move on, dry fit the bits and if they are not right get them to fit right before you do anything else.its great to see someone else doing figures
What do you use for filler ?
I can't work at slow speed my fingers get itchy lol , I'll get some more miniart figures to practice the fit problems :smiling3:

I use normal filer , usually it's ok but this didn't work too well I might get some milli putty

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great job Alan , personally I think figures are the hardest genre of modelling , I cant do faces or flesh to save my life! Its great to see one done well , I only hope my GB one later in the year turns out half as good ! cheers tony

N

noble

Alan I think it looks great mate, I did the musketeer ages ago and I found the same problems with the pieces fitting together. The painting looks so good nicely done.

scott

Lee W

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Good job Alan...even though you had complications

Lee :smiling3:

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
great Job Alan,and you can see the improvement with this one,the colors and tones are great, :D

I think Paul hit the nail on the head,just slow down a little with the joins ,and you will see so much more improvement in them.

other than that im not saying any more other that a great job real like it,

hope you stick at doing them,and enjoyable to see, :D

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Cheers guys and gal I appreciate the kind comments :smiling3:

I think I'm looking at figures with the thought of practice piece in mind so I look towards the painting more than the modelling it's just dawned on me I could paint the figure in the most brilliant way but if the modelling isn't there it takes the edge off it

I shall hence fourth spend equal time on building as I would the painting :D

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
As I am terrified of figure painting-Paul P will be shouting at me soon-all I can say is wow, very well done mate. He looks superb and great shading and painting.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Cheers mate I appreciate that :smiling3: I reckon you'd be ok with painting large figures after all you do the use the same principle on other builds

In fact I think you would find it easier using oils as you can wipe of overspill with a finger and I'm quite sure you could push a brush into a crease :smiling3:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Well, have got the 1/24 pilots to do for the chopper...so we shall see how they turn out.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Well, have got the 1/24 pilots to do for the chopper...so we shall see how they turn out.
All you have to remember is to wipe plenty off your brush and use a very thin one , Ive never done it in 1/24 but I do have some 1/25 scale figures I might give it a try tomorrow I can't today as I'm with the wife celerbrating my prison sentence I mean wedding anniversary :D

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
Top Marks for that Alan. I really like that............ I wish I could paint figures.

D

dubster72

That's pretty amazing Alan! The painting is excellent - the details look so good & the metal finish is ace!

Look forward to seeing more!

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Cheers Peter and Patrick thanks for the great comments:smiling3:

I'm thinking of doing a video on the basics of face painting because in this thread alone people have said they can't do faces I used to think that until I was shown and the basics anyone can do , it takes a bit more skill when you start adding tone I did try that with this one but instead of putting a red tinge to his cheeks he looked more like a clown so I took it off but I can do the basics :smiling3: