Mitsubishi A5M4 'Claude'

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
So this will be my hapless victim for Andy's Group Build.

I'll be using the 1/32 scale kit from Special hobby (which might be my first mistake!)

Japanese GB.jpg

It's a typical Special hobby kit, a plastic bag with some plastic, some resin which looks nice, and everyone's favourite, some P-E.

kit_bits.jpg

I have to finish my current 'Kittyhawk' build, which is just starting to get some paint, but as soon as that's done I shall make a start on this one. Hopefully, I'll be up and running in a week or so.

You could write everything I know about Japanese fighters on the back of this model's propeller, so I'm pretty much going with the kit instructions and those of the Montex masks I'll use for the markings. That might be my second mistake but there you go!

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Well, that's a new one on me, with a stunted pilot or not :tears-of-joy:,
.....however,I know ZIP about Japanese Aircraft,apart what I've googled recently!;).....
...an interesting looking beastie for sure,glad to see you planning to enter it into the GB. :thumb2:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I did the HobbyBoss 1/72 Easy Assembly Claude back in 2019, A nice, dainty model - the 1/32 version should be impressive - no nonsense about camouflage - silver, red & yellow should make it stand out!
Dave

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I'm off and running, or staggering drunkenly is a none to certain direction.

I've primed the various major parts of the cockpit and engine assemblies. These two have used up all the resin bits (the regular polystyrene equivalents come with the kit too) and a substantial portion of the P-E, though you'd never know now that it's all either grey or black.

P1010823.JPG

The resin is really nice, as you can probably see from that instrument panel and other details. The P-E is, well, P-E with all the fun, games and CA glue that entails. The rest of the plastic is a bit hit and miss; it took me quite some time to get that engine looking anything like presentable.

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Good to see you up and "staggering" with this one Steve,the details do indeed look sharp:thumb2:.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've now got some basic paint on the various bits and finished the engine. I left a P-E part which I think was purporting to be an ignition loom off the engine as it was horrible and brought nothing to the party.

I thought it weird that the instrument panel was just the cockpit colour apart from the various dials etc. but apparently this is how they were.

P1010824.JPG

I'm hoping to nail this lot together this weekend, after which, to be honest, there's not a tremendous amount of construction to do. This makes me optimistic about finishing in September (this year)!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I've now got some basic paint on the various bits and finished the engine. I left a P-E part which I think was purporting to be an ignition loom off the engine as it was horrible and brought nothing to the party.

I thought it weird that the instrument panel was just the cockpit colour apart from the various dials etc. but apparently this is how they were.

View attachment 488676

I'm hoping to nail this lot together this weekend, after which, to be honest, there's not a tremendous amount of construction to do. This makes me optimistic about finishing in September (this year)!
Going on well Steve. It seems (from my very limited Zero reading) that the interior parts on Japanese aircraft that weren’t interior green (apart from instrument and control boxes) were metallic blue :surprised:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Well this is fun!

I've spent at least a couple of hours fettling the cockpit to fit the fuselage. This is mainly because the resin parts, which are jolly nice, also seem to have been made for a slightly larger scale.

Anyway, I eventually persuaded the two halves to fit together.

P1010825.JPG

This has revealed some work to be done on the mating surfaces on top, remember this will be finished mainly in an aluminium finish, which is very unforgiving. Also, I need to persuade the underside that the two halves are from the same kit.
P1010826.JPG

The thing is that I know that I and many people who read this post would be able to deal with these issues without much difficulty. I myself don't mind a bit of a challenge at all. I'm only pointing them out because forewarned is forearmed.
However, I wouldn't recommend a kit like this to a beginner or someone coming back to the hobby after life got in the way for several years. It might be discouraging.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've got the wings on, which was an interesting project. There's still a little remedial work to be done but I feel like I've now cracked this kit. I've already tried the engine, which fits quite nicely, and I don't foresee any more time consuming issues.
It's just as well, because I won't have much opportunity for model making next week and things will screech to a temporary halt. The calendar on the other hand keeps ticking over :smiling3:

P1010828.JPG

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Well this is fun!

I've spent at least a couple of hours fettling the cockpit to fit the fuselage. This is mainly because the resin parts, which are jolly nice, also seem to have been made for a slightly larger scale.

Anyway, I eventually persuaded the two halves to fit together.

View attachment 488771

This has revealed some work to be done on the mating surfaces on top, remember this will be finished mainly in an aluminium finish, which is very unforgiving. Also, I need to persuade the underside that the two halves are from the same kit.
View attachment 488772

The thing is that I know that I and many people who read this post would be able to deal with these issues without much difficulty. I myself don't mind a bit of a challenge at all. I'm only pointing them out because forewarned is forearmed.
However, I wouldn't recommend a kit like this to a beginner or someone coming back to the hobby after life got in the way for several years. It might be discouraging.
The ‘however’ bit duly noted!! :smiling3: I’ll shy away from this un but I’ll still be following your build.

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Hi Steve,
As you say,it certainly looks like you've broken the back of this kit :cool:
Congrats on getting the halves to match up....
..... It was memories of that kind of problem way back when,that put me off doing planes on my return to the hobby. However, I'm pleased to say that the few I have done over the last few months haven't had much of an issue in that department :hugging-face:
Hope your up and coming busy time goes well,and I'm looking forward to seeing your next update :thumb2:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've now got the first paint on this one.

The aircraft were painted in an aluminium dope, they were not in a so called 'natural metal finish'. By all accounts this paint yellowed quite badly, something I have attempted to replicate. Though the whole upper surface is roughly similar to the naked eye, the yellowing shows up much more on the fuselage side in my inept attempts at photography! The effect appears more subtle to the naked eye, though I want it to be noticeable

P1010830.JPG
The empennage is yet to be painted, that will end up in a jaunty red colour.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I sneaked a morning and got all the sprayed markings done.

sprayed.jpg

The engine isn't in yet, hence the cowling being attached by tape.
I should be able to get some varnish on this evening and maybe the few decals required tomorrow - if I can sneak an hour or so.
Next week is another screeching halt, but despite that I'm fairly confident I will get this done in time :smiling3:

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Excellent paintwork and masking there Steve, really does look very natural :thumb2: , going to be a cracker this one I reckon :cool:.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I'm a big fan of masking and spraying markings when practical. All we're doing is painting things that were painted.

Obviously the small stencils of even national markings in much smaller scales would be difficult.

If you've sprayed the four colour (red/white/blue/yellow) British roundels, then a Japanese Hinomaru is not exactly challenging!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've had a few days off due to a dodgy back, but I've managed some short spells at the bench.

I'm very nearly finished, streaking across the line (fully clothed) with time to spare!

This is a bad snap of where I'm at and will be the end of this thread. I'll take some 'proper' pictures and post in the completed section when I have a chance.

P1010832.JPG

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Even though this was a very quick process. it built up well and I am sorry that I missed it. (An easy thing when there are so many Well Attended GB's all at once.

Great result Steve