Mixing your own paint: tools and tips

F

Flyermay

Hi, when I began painting my first model, and since I didn't know if it would be the last one, I decided to mix my own paints, instead of buying them already made and then never used them again. However, what I found is that it is far more difficult finding a reliable example of the exact colours needed, than mixing them right... well, more or less.

For example: right now I need the RLM02, which is supposed to be a Grey pain used in many German planes. The problem is that when I look on the internet for an example of RLM02, I get a ton of different colours, most of which have very little to do with the colour grey, and which go from this:

HU240-2T.jpg

to this:

grey-rlm-02-grau-rlm-02.jpg

So, is there any way, or any place where we can look for reliable examples of the precise colours specified in the kits?

Do you know of any tips, websites or online tools that could help those of us who mix our own colours? For example: I found this tool, which turned out to be quite useful; as it allows you to search for equivalents among the best known brands, and also allows you to search for specific colours within any picture. You can find it here:

Thanks in advance for your help.