Model Aircraft Quality

T

tecdes

Since starting in October last modeling aircraft I am just finishing the fifth.

2 Revell & 3 Airfix. Two of which came as presents from my family (better than chocolates & socks). The remainder I purchased from the limited stock of our only two retailers. They are limited to Revell & Airfix.

Having now a little experience I wish to move on to try out more better produced models. This will cost more & there is no criticism of either Revell or Airfix as in general you get what you pay for.

How would you rate manufacturers models you have completed & also the comparative complexity of each.

Laurie

R

Richy C

Not an aircraft man , but have made a couple of tamiya aircraft and found they make a very nice build , the newish airfix stuff is ment to be 1st class but I would recommend anything tamiya , easy instructions - good paint guide - large selection - easy builds , ideal for anyone starting out or getting back into modelling

Richy

M

munkster

Since returning to the hobby one thing I've been really blown away by is the reported variability not only between manufacturers but also within them what with the re-boxing of older moulds etc by other makes meaning that some, for example, Revell kits are lauded whereas some are reviled! It seems to be a minefield to the uninitiated however that said it seems that with Tamiya you can't really go far wrong, although I bet there's exceptions. My first proper build upon my return was a 1975 vintage (unbeknownst to me, thank you eBay!) Tamiya F-15 and given that it was my first proper go at a kit for years it was pretty forgiving which speaks volumes for the make if you ask me.

Fast forward 3 models and I did a 1/48 Spitfire by ICM that appeared to be reviewed well but I found it to be a pig of a model to build with completely illogical touches like "if I include the engine then the cowling won't fit on". Great. I really can't see me rushing to build another ICM kit unless I can see very good reviews aplenty!

Not sure what I've concluded here, but just my thoughts which I hope are of interest :smiling:

T

tecdes

Yes Rob i am finishing a Lancaster Airfix & I am certain it is a re-issue. The transparent pieces , cockpit etc are just really awful. It is a shame after all the hours spent & these are the final pieces to be attached.

Thanks to you both. Next model is going to be a Tamiya.

Laurie

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Nothing wrong with newer Hasegawa,Airfix,Eduard or Trumpeter kits,at least as far as fit goes. I built a 1/32 Hasegawa Fw190D a while ago and the fit was as good as Tamya's much vaunted 1/32 scale Spitfire. ICM,Zoukei-Mura and the like are making relatively limited runs and are likely to be a bit more challenging. I've obviously not mentioned every brand many of whom will also do good kits.I have a personal beef with Revell,I've never built a really good kit by them,not even the new(ish) Ju88, so you should probably discount my somewhat biased views on their kits!

Cheers

Steve

T

T. van Vuuren

In my own experience I have found Airfix to be on the low side quality wize, older hasegawa the same.The new Tamiya,Hasgawa and Academy seems to be really good quality, fit and detail.

I have not built any of the new tooling Airfix stuff, but at the same price as ICM or revelle I will not buy them.

I did a 1/48 P-51d .The quality /fit of the parts was second to none, even up to tamiya standards. I do believe the spit has fit issues, same with the Yak9 but the p-15 is tops.

Theuns

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
As a defender of the humble Airfix kit I would just like to say that you are wrong to dismiss them all just because they made some really bad kits along time ago.

The new kits and I mean the new tool kits, not just reboxings of the old kits are right up there with the "big names" Fine detail, panel lines more like they should be, even the decals have made a marked improvement, in fact some of them can be traced back to Cartograf, and no-ones is complaining about them are they?

Accuracy issues is an other thing we often hear about them. ALL kits have accuracy issues. I have not heard of the perfect mass produced kit.... Tamiya kits are great, they fit together well and are well detailed, but they to have there faults. At the prices they charge they should be spot on.

I have no real favourite brand of kits, I just go for the kit that makes the subject that I am after. If there are several to chose from OK I will go for the one that has gotten the best reviews, be it Hasegawa, Tamiya, Airfix or even monogram!

I guess what I am trying to say is don't knock things until you have tried them.

Just a thought. If Airfix kits are so bad, how come that re-releases are more often sold out before they even get to the shops?

Ian M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I think that's a fair comment from Ian. I posted before that it is really not possible to generalise by brand.

It is also important to seperate accuracy issues from construction issues,two entirely different animals.

Cheers

Steve

T

T. van Vuuren

Fair enough, I didn't say all Airfix was bad.Of the fewAirfix I have done, there are more issurs with them than the other makes I have done.The only nice airfix I did do date was the 1/48 EE lightning.

Then I did a 1/72 old Hasegawa P-38 that was really not nice atall.I think it must have something to do with the newer moulding technology.

Theuns

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
I think it must have something to do with the newer moulding technology.Theuns
Absolutely right Theuns, that and computer assisted design.

Cheers

Steve

T

tecdes

Probably an idiot question but how do you separate the old reproduced models from the new ?

Laurie

M

munkster

Probably an idiot question but how do you separate the old reproduced models from the new ?
Without realising it - that is EXACTLY the question I need answering too - thanks for asking it Laurie!! Guess we must both be idiots then :-D

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I model in large scale and Large Scale Planes has a good database which I use. Otherwise it can be difficult. I usually google the kit number and see what comes up. There are databases on the internet and it is also worth checking the manufacturers web site. Don't forget to read the small print on the box as well!

Steve

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
One thing ive found to be useful is to search for reviews of a particular kit, this can sometimes highlight the fact that a kit may be a re-issue of another manufacturers product. I recently won the revell Aichi 'val' on e-bay , a great result as this kit is the hasegawa mould re-boxed by revell , a fact i knew from reading a review . The main two i use are hyperscale and modelling madness , very useful for checking out if a kit is a dog or not.Its surprising how many moulds have been issued by different manufacturers and can be quite difficult to know just who originated the kit!, hope this helps , cheers tony

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Go on Steve let us into this data base. Please !Laurie
Here's a linky.

Large Scale Planes - LSP Kit Database

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I will start a thread just for such things as re-boxings. You know as that wonderful Japanese advert fro crisps once put it. Same Sh¤#, different package.

So if one of us hears or finds a rebox, post it up and we can all hear the news before its to late.

AS to we use it or not is up to us in'it!

Ian M

T

tecdes

Hey Ian that really is great lateral thinking.

Not sure though what the unusual hieroglyphics stand for !!!

Laurie

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Hey Ian that really is great lateral thinking.Not sure though what the unusual hieroglyphics stand for !!!

Laurie
Well I could of wrote ¤#it but went for Sh¤# ......

Ian M