Model Aircraft Quality

B

Bunkerbarge

\ said:
Probably an idiot question but how do you separate the old reproduced models from the new ?Laurie
Your question hits the nail on the head and, as I'm sure you would expect there is no easy answer. Tamiya are generally top quality but they have also done reboxing of other manufacturers kits so there is no absolute guarrantee. The latest Airfix offerings are right up there with the Tamiya standards but they have a lot more older kits in thier range as well.

Unfortunately it's all down to experience so the best way to be guided is to use the experience you have available on here. I would pick out a kit that you fancy because it appeals to you and it is what you want to build, then ask on here if anyone has any experience of building it. If there is no -one I suspect that members here will at least be able to give you an idea of quality based on the knowledge of the manufacturer and age of the kit.

T

tecdes

Must be telepathy Richard.

Just thinking 15 minutes ago about what to get next & thought I would get opinion here first.

Laurie

B

Bunkerbarge

I'm sure someone can help Laurie and anyone here would be happy to do so.

L

lemoff

I re-started with the Revell: Battle of Britain that contains 4 kits. some of the fitting is plain awful and has really put me off Revell. Having said that, the last one in the kit i am doing Heinkel Helll H-3 seems to be a lot better so i might not completely disregard Revell kits. Very much looking forward to starting on my Tamiya kits though.

Is it in some way cheating, getting a better build quality kit? hehe

saguy

A true Leeds Utd fan ............
SMF Supporter
First Name
lindsey
hi there ..... also relatively new to model building ---- i always aim for tamiya or hasegawa (although older hasegawa models do present some rather interesting challenges!!) .... and have yet to be disappointed. Tried a Revell and Airfix once each and afraid never again. Ian is quite right in his comments but i find it difficult to have confidence in a make if i have had a bad experience with it. i have also used Academy just the once and found it extremely good .....good luck

lindsey

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Is it in some way cheating, getting a better build quality kit? hehe
That is a complicated question. Some of the new kits fit together vey well,no matter who the manufacturer,and are a pleasure to build. However there is a sort of masochistic enjoyment to be had by beating an old or limited run kit,whose fit or engineering may be less than perfect,into shape. You will learn more and improve your technique by attempting less than perfect kits. The downside is that the result may be less than you hoped for!

Several people on this forum built the Revell 1/32 scale Spitfire Mk22/24 recently. It's a tricky kit to build and does have some problems but the results spoke for themselves. There were some good looking Spitfires produced,albeit with a bit of effing and blinding. I never did get the fin on mine to be vertical or the horizontal stabilisers to be exactly horizontal but never mind eh!

It's not cheating to build beautifully fitting kits but you shouldn't shy away from something a bit more challenging or something that will really make you think and problem solve.

Cheers

Steve

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
However there is a sort of masochistic enjoyment to be had by beating an old or limited run kit,whose fit or engineering may be less than perfect,into shape. Steve
There's also a sort of masochistic enjoyment to be had by just beating an old or limited run kit - with a hammer or a size 11 boot - before casting it to oblivion in the waste bin! :lol

Gern

PS Just kidding! Nobody really throws kits away if they're too bad. Do they?

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Gern, not me! I always finish them,bodges and all. There have been a couple that have made their way directly to the loft,bypassing all display shelves on the way.

Cheers

Steve

A

AJay

Hello, Laurie! I'm on my 5th build, too. Here's what I've found out so far:

Hasegawa - 1/48, 'George' - It's probably the most detailed and best quality kit I've build thus far, and cost under a tenner on ebay. (it's not the raised panel line version).

Academy - I've a built a 1/72 Academy P-51C and a P-40N, and both were excellent in terms of fit with little to no filler needed. These kits are so cheap and I love them.

Tamiya - I built their 1/48 'Rufe' floatplane and that had quite a few construction issues. Maybe it was the builder though....lol

T

tecdes

Thanks Alex nice to hear form some one with similar experience.

Laurie

W

Willie Kelly

The Tamiya Rufe kit is an older one, and a bear to build. It has poor seams and some questionable fitting parts. However, it's pretty much the only game in town for the 1.48 Rufe. I have built two.

Revell of Germany is making some nice nice kits... the Arado 196 in 1.32 is one of the best kits I have ever laid hands on.