ModelMaster Metaliser - Impressions.

S

Scuff

I didn't want to jump in on the Alcad thread, but I have recently purchased some of the ModlMaster Metaliser paints.

Polished Alumininium, Titanium and stainless steel in the buffing versions, and Gunmetal in the non-buffing version.

I tried out the Aluminium on a test wing with different base coats and then applied Lakeland floor polish.

This stuff is very thin, almost like water and extremely smelly! I sprayed very light coats 15 seconds or so after each other and then started buffing lightly after a couple of minutes.i was able to buff the aluminium from a fairly flat look to a mirror finish. Depending on the base coat, the gloss had more 'depth'. A gloss black gave a finish that look a little unrealistic for polished aluminium, the best effect came from spraying on unprimed plastic.

I then carried out an abuse test :D . I used an electric polisher at high speed. And it took a fair amount of effort to damage the paint. A coat of Lakeland polish brushed on, didn't damage the fairly fresh paint and self levelled into a very nice gloss. This then buffed up to a rock hard mirror finish.

I hand painted some gunmetal onto a primed surface, which resulted in a very pleasing thin layer with excellent coverage. It dried to a very smooth realistic finish, not 'grainy' like normal metal colour acrylics.

In conclusion, I was very pleased at the ease of use of these finishes, and you can buff to the exact level you chose.