Monogram Packard Boattail Speedster - 1/24 scale

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
Steve and Peter - appreciate you sticking with this :thumb2:

I've been working on the cabin. Cleaning up parts and getting them to fit is time consuming with this kit! :anguished:
Cab was primed and then the door pockets etc were very roughly preshaded with dark grey.
P1060395.JPG

The seats and the other odds and ends were painted and the cab was airbrushed with Tamiya Buff. Very lightly weathered with oils. The wooden dash and the divider between the seats was based with Lifecolor Light wood and then oils used for the grain. Then gloss varnished. No decals for the instruments so they had to be painted.
P1060399.JPG

P1060400.JPG

P1060398.JPG

The bonnet is one piece which the instructions say to leave unglued presumably so it can be lifted off to show the engine.
P1060401.JPG

I decided to show the bonnet folded back so the engine is on view. Marked cut lines with Dymo tape and used a razor saw to separate the parts which will fold back. I'll need to make a hinge from thin rod or stretched sprue, I may actually have a length of PE hinge kicking around somewhere.
P1060402.JPG

Thanks again. Take care. Stay safe - no drunken raves in the park for you lot!! :tongue-out3:

Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Jim, just dropped in to have a look...love the grain work. :thumb2: The light tan finish of the leather seats and side trimming look real. Showing off the engine is a good idea.

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Thanks Richard

A bit of progress. Because of the flash and misalignment of the mould clean up of parts is time consuming and rather mojo sapping.
The lower body was airbrushed with Tamiya Brown gloss. I don't particularly like Tamiya paints but I didn't prime and so used Tamiya lacquer thinner. Masked and painted the running boards.
P1060403.JPG

P1060404.JPG

P1060405.JPG

Chrome parts done with Vallejo Metal Color. Quite a fair finish for a water based paint.
P1060406.JPG

A couple of 'forests' of bits. Body parts primed with white Stynylrez as a base for the orange.
P1060407.JPG

Odds and ends primed black.
P1060408.JPG

When everything is fully cured I can paint the body orange and hopefully it will start to come together and look like a car.

Thanks for looking.
Stay safe. Modelling is by and large a solitary undertaking so I doubt we'll be bothered by Boris' '6 persons rule' :tongue-out3:

Jim

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
The woodwork is so realistic Jim. Lovely to see. Really coming along nicely sir

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Like you Jim I've been away on a gardening and shed project , mojo has been zero until it was all done .Just had a catch up, love the exhaust and that dash board is a work of art. Really good as are the seats. Splendid work.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Thanks guys. The kit saps mojo but your comments boost it again so we plod on :thumb2:

Airbrushed the body, bonnet and bulkhead orange. Used Humbrol enamel which although out of favour a bit now is great to airbrush and to brush paint.
P1060409.JPG

The box art shows brown lines along the sides and across the body behind the seats.
P1060332.JPG

I used Tamiya gloss brown for the lower body. That means I have to somehow paint those lines with Tamiya paint which doesn't like to be brush painted. Not sure if masking the lines is a possibility :thinking:
P1060410.JPG

I'll have to think about it.

Rear number plate done. All painted silver and then black and the black removed from the lettering with a pointy cotton bud dipped in thinner. A little touch up needed but it looks fine in reality.
P1060411.JPG

Thanks for looking.
Jim

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Great body paint work Jim, faultless.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Thanks John - as I said I am a fan of old fashioned Humbrol enamels

So as I said the brown coach lines were bugging me. I didn't fancy brush painting Tamiya brown gloss ( that was the paint I'd used for the lower body) on to gloss orange. Tamiya is awkward to brush paint and the lines were pretty thin. Anyway I found a Vallejo Model Color which was a pretty close match. It was matt but I reckoned a coat of gloss varnish would sort that. So using a combination of masking and a steady hand I painted the lines, working a small section at a time. I kept a clean, damp brush close by to quickly correct errors. It actually worked better than I thought and once glossed is OK.
P1060412.JPG

Finished up the bulkhead. Added a decal from the spares box. Don't know what it actually is but fits the space.
P1060413.JPG

Rear light cluster was fiddly.
P1060414.JPG

The lower body has to fix to the chassis. Despite a lot of fettling the fit was poor, well it did actually fit OK with bit of persuasion. I used Araldite epoxy and a load of clamps and left it for 24 hours and it seems solid. Just hope it isn't too distorted and then the body won't fit!!
P1060415.JPG

P1060416.JPG

Thanks for looking in.
Stay safe.
Jim

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Finishes are coming out very well. PaulE

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Jim , your have a steady hand alright, well done on that coach line.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Simply Beautiful.....love the color combination. Rick H.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Thank you all so much for your encouraging posts :thumb2:

I've fitted the cab into the upper body and then fitted that to the lower body/chassis. Despite a great deal of dry fitting and adjustments the fit is very much a compromise. If one gap was closed it opened up one somewhere else :sad:
P1060417.JPG

P1060418.JPG

P1060419.JPG

Thanks for looking.
Jim

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Looking very good from here Jim......I am really liking that color combination! Rick H.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
So impressed with that paint finish Jim, really is "factory finish "

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Thats is sooooo nice Jim. You really have worked wonders with the paintwork. Luvin it a lot