Mr Hobby Mr Dissolved Putty P119

A

Awins

I have some rough uneven surfaces to smooth out. These are to shallow for a normal putty type filler unless I gouge these out deeper to allow the filler to seat down.

I am wondering if Mr Hobby  Mr Dissolved Putty P119 is the right way to go but haven't used this product before. How is this used please can anyone advice..

Cheers Alan

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

I use Mr surfacer 500, 1000 and 1200 and these are excellent products. Mr dissolved putty can be pretty messy, but again is an excellent product. Just make sure you have an appropriate applicator. If I were you, I would get a wide flat brush, and apply it with masking tape on either side of the parts where you don't want to get the dissolved putty on. btw, this stuff is for small gaps.

The surface which you described sounds as if it needs some MR Surfacer 1000 sprayed at around 25 psi through a .35 needle out of an airbrush. This is then buffed with progressively smoother sanding grits such as the Tamiya sanding foams.

Also, Mr surfacer 1000 brushed down, then sanded should do fine as well. Mr Dissolved putty is too heavy a hybrid filler to use

John

Last edited:
D

dubster72

Mr Dissolved Putty is a solvent  based product Alan, you'd get the same result from mixing Humbrol filler with cellulose thinner. That's what I do with shallow seams & gaps.

But if it's a rough surface rather than a gap, John's advice to try Mr Surfacer is spot on. Another good one is Alclad primer & micro filler. 

Your answer really depends on the problem - pictures would help. Some techniques suited for aircraft aren't so applicable for armour & vice versa.

John's suggestion to cover adjacent areas with masking tape is a good one too. Doing that has made life easier for me in the past.