Mr Potato head (3d printed)

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Hi guys,
So a few months ago I've also bought a 3d resin printer and have been trying to get some things successfully printed in my small amount of spare time...
I got the 'Anycubic photon D2' and like most people new to resin printing it was a bit of a struggle but I think I'm getting the hang of it now.

So I got this idea to print mr Potato head from 'Toy story' as a Christmas present for my brother, as he already has a few characters from this movie behind his desk and the potato-toy sold by Disney just doesn't look like in the movie...

I stumbled onto this video on Youtube, where 'Zedabyu Creations' adapts a free 3D model which you can download in the description of this video.
So I downloaded the Blender-model myself and although the model looks good at first sight, I spend a lot of time modifying the model for my printer.
-Adapted his ears, shoes and hollowed it like in the movie
-Adapted his mustache and nose
-Cut the potato in half to fit on my printer, made holes for all his parts
-Made a hatch in his back

My printer doesn't have a large build-plate, so I had to print the model in multiple print-sessions :sick:...

Print of one ear, shoe, nose with mustache and two eyebrows :
Potato_01.jpg

Print of one ear, hat and shoe :
Potato_02.jpg

Print of two eyes, two arms and his backdoor with text "Happy 2024 bro"
Potato_03.jpg

Print of the front-part of the potato, had to cut the thing in half because it didn't fit... (about 7hours30min print time...)
Potato_04.jpg

Print of the back of the potato...
Potato_05.jpg

All the parts need a lot of cleaning with IPA (Isopropyl alcohol), I made the arms hollow to avoid trapping uncured resin inside...
Potato_06.jpg

This was a quick test-fit after cleaning, the model is about 15cm (5,9") high
Potato_07.jpg

Next all the parts need a lot of sanding to remove support-marks etc...
Potato_08.jpg

In the computer the cutting line was perfect but it did take some time to sand and clean the parts to make those halves fit well, I glued them together with superglue and used this as a filler too.
Potato_09.jpg

The bleed-holes in the arms were also filled with superglue and some baking-powder. This cures the superglue immediately so I can continue working.
Potato_10.jpg

An idea I took from the first YT video : drilling 2mm holes and gluing 2mm magnets into the eyebrows makes it possible to place them onto the face, while 2 bigger magnets on the inside attract the eyebrows. This was a real pain to install because the magnets inside the head liked 'each-other' much more, so in the end I super-glued the magnets inside the head and then the eyebrows can pivot on their magnet on top of the face...
Potato_11.jpg

After all the sanding I glued the parts onto sticks with hot-glue for painting...
Potato_12.jpg

I primed them with spray cans, those have better scratch resistance then my acrylic Vallejo primers
Potato_13.jpg

Masking the (white primer) eyes and (black primer) mustache with Tamiya tape...
Potato_14.jpg

For the colors I used Vallejo acrylic paints, Bf109 'Sand yellow' :smiling5: for the potato, for the shoes I used 'Royal blue' mixed with 'white', for the ears 'Red' mixed with 'white' to get pink and then some small bit of blue to make it more purple, the nose is an orange mix, lips where hand-painted with 'flat red', for all the other parts I used the airbrush ...
Potato_15.jpg

Painted the pupils onto the eyes and then (next day) carefully sprayed a satin-varnish in light coats with the spray-can to increase the scratch-resistance of the Vallejo paint.
Potato_16.jpg

Next I stuck all the parts into the potato, even made him a cardboard-box like you can see in the first movie (marker and colored pencils, quite therapeutic actually :tears-of-joy:)
His backdoor fits nicely when 'closed', but sometimes falls out when opened, the hinge should have been made a bit more thigh.
Potato_17.jpg

Potato_18.jpg

Potato_19.jpg

The only model I finished this year... And he's ready for transport!
Potato_20.jpg

It was a fun project but so much more work then I thought it would be,
Also the resin printing is a REAL MESS, a lot more then some of the youtube videos let you believe :dizzy:

Hope you guys like it,
Thanks for reading & kind regards
Cheers
Steven

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
WELL Done Steven jen liked this bloke in toy strory an its good to see you have mastered this cad priting
chrisb

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Hi guys,
So a few months ago I've also bought a 3d resin printer and have been trying to get some things successfully printed in my small amount of spare time...
I got the 'Anycubic photon D2' and like most people new to resin printing it was a bit of a struggle but I think I'm getting the hang of it now.

So I got this idea to print mr Potato head from 'Toy story' as a Christmas present for my brother, as he already has a few characters from this movie behind his desk and the potato-toy sold by Disney just doesn't look like in the movie...

I stumbled onto this video on Youtube, where 'Zedabyu Creations' adapts a free 3D model which you can download in the description of this video.
So I downloaded the Blender-model myself and although the model looks good at first sight, I spend a lot of time modifying the model for my printer.
-Adapted his ears, shoes and hollowed it like in the movie
-Adapted his mustache and nose
-Cut the potato in half to fit on my printer, made holes for all his parts
-Made a hatch in his back

My printer doesn't have a large build-plate, so I had to print the model in multiple print-sessions :sick:...

Print of one ear, shoe, nose with mustache and two eyebrows :
View attachment 498099

Print of one ear, hat and shoe :
View attachment 498100

Print of two eyes, two arms and his backdoor with text "Happy 2024 bro"
View attachment 498101

Print of the front-part of the potato, had to cut the thing in half because it didn't fit... (about 7hours30min print time...)
View attachment 498102

Print of the back of the potato...
View attachment 498103

All the parts need a lot of cleaning with IPA (Isopropyl alcohol), I made the arms hollow to avoid trapping uncured resin inside...
View attachment 498104

This was a quick test-fit after cleaning, the model is about 15cm (5,9") high
View attachment 498105

Next all the parts need a lot of sanding to remove support-marks etc...
View attachment 498106

In the computer the cutting line was perfect but it did take some time to sand and clean the parts to make those halves fit well, I glued them together with superglue and used this as a filler too.
View attachment 498107

The bleed-holes in the arms were also filled with superglue and some baking-powder. This cures the superglue immediately so I can continue working.
View attachment 498108

An idea I took from the first YT video : drilling 2mm holes and gluing 2mm magnets into the eyebrows makes it possible to place them onto the face, while 2 bigger magnets on the inside attract the eyebrows. This was a real pain to install because the magnets inside the head liked 'each-other' much more, so in the end I super-glued the magnets inside the head and then the eyebrows can pivot on their magnet on top of the face...
View attachment 498109

After all the sanding I glued the parts onto sticks with hot-glue for painting...
View attachment 498110

I primed them with spray cans, those have better scratch resistance then my acrylic Vallejo primers
View attachment 498111

Masking the (white primer) eyes and (black primer) mustache with Tamiya tape...
View attachment 498112

For the colors I used Vallejo acrylic paints, Bf109 'Sand yellow' :smiling5: for the potato, for the shoes I used 'Royal blue' mixed with 'white', for the ears 'Red' mixed with 'white' to get pink and then some small bit of blue to make it more purple, the nose is an orange mix, lips where hand-painted with 'flat red', for all the other parts I used the airbrush ...
View attachment 498113

Painted the pupils onto the eyes and then (next day) carefully sprayed a satin-varnish in light coats with the spray-can to increase the scratch-resistance of the Vallejo paint.
View attachment 498114

Next I stuck all the parts into the potato, even made him a cardboard-box like you can see in the first movie (marker and colored pencils, quite therapeutic actually :tears-of-joy:)
His backdoor fits nicely when 'closed', but sometimes falls out when opened, the hinge should have been made a bit more thigh.
View attachment 498115

View attachment 498116

View attachment 498117

The only model I finished this year... And he's ready for transport!
View attachment 498118

It was a fun project but so much more work then I thought it would be,
Also the resin printing is a REAL MESS, a lot more then some of the youtube videos let you believe :dizzy:

Hope you guys like it,
Thanks for reading & kind regards
Cheers
Steven
Belter - hope your brother likes it! 3D printing is a real tinkerers hobby at the moment, but it's getting better, fairly quickly. If they could only get off the smelly, toxic resin!
Dave