Mr Slobby

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Yep me ,as most know I don't belive in a lot of what goes on here ,stripping down airbrushes till their a pile of parts ,then heaven above sticking it all in a sonic bath ,then break this or bend that trying to reassemble the thing ,even to the point of buy this one its dead easy to reduce to a pile of component parts ,is it any wonder the messiah cried, leave me out ill just squirt some decent tool cleaner through mine and have done ,when there's a blue moon i might pull the needle out the back and wipe it but hey how often do you see a blue moon.
Special little things to stand your sprues in ,in alfabetical order and even though said sprues are marked alphabetically you reinforce this with a piece of masking tape showing that this is definitely sprue A ,me I scatter em all over the place ,then (and its all part of the fun)sit there going E ,E ,E ,wheres that I bloody had the thing just now.
Alchemy some of its unbelievable ,I try and match a manufacturers thinners to their paint they've developed this product to give you maximum usage and enjoyment from their product plus the added bonus of if things are going wrong you can rule out your paint/thinner combo its something your doing or have done previously. I dont want to use this or that just because the ingredients are almost the same as the manufacturers product and half the price , honestly do people really yeh honestly really sit there and read whats in a jar of TET(other brands are available) or a bottle of acrylic thinner what honestly ,I dont want to thin my paint with window cleaner or stick my kit with cellulose thinner ill stay a lazy slob and use manufacturers recommend products.
I can feel your hate towards me already ,there's still time to join the dark side.
Compressors now were talking I keep mine on the floor(a wooden one not screeded)not on a noise/vibration reducing mat mine has rubber mounting/bushes type things for that christ their not noisy to the point of ear defenders and if the noise is amplified through the wooden floor i hope next door can hear it serves em right for having their telly to loud now and again ,plus the added bonus of when it clicks on and off every now and then for a couple of seconds I can think dam I forgot to switch it off must get round to that, ,with the ear defender thing though surprised no one has recommend them for spraying dont tell me I missed that bit.
Still on the compressor thing drain the tank make sure you've a water/moisture trap fitted yeh what ever didn't even know they had a drain/sump plug thingy my old compressor must have been over ten years old never touched it apart from switching on and off. Got the current one must have been a couple of years pre covid now ,came in a black metal case with a handle on top nice because you can't see all the dust that accumulates over the compressor itself by each passing year.
Now whilst squirting some paint at my bill bus pidgeon loft build started to have a few problems it was as if the paint was all oily or spraying onto a oily surface bugger cant be the primer same as I always use cleaned up left it to dry ,went over it again still not much better same thing happening ,on my airbrush well the posh one I've put a sparmax silver bullet moisture trap not to trap moisture but makes holding and handling the airbrush much more comfortable ,it was then I noticed what looked like moisture in it ,now I had noticed there was a little valve in the bottom of it like you get in a cycle inner tube so pressed it in ,YEP moisture came out ,so picked up the compressor and lo and behold there was a water trap thing under the pressure gauge sticky out bit on closer inspection you could see it full of red stuff ,it also had one of thoes little valves wich when depressed covered my jeans in what looked like rusty water Mmmmmm turned the compressor on its side and was shocked to see a drain plug they were right they do have them and you don't even need a spanner its a hand tight jobby so armed with a large wad of kitchen roll made a honest compressor of it .
So there you go even lazy slobs get found out some times, your be pleased to hear all seems OK now so probably won't have to bother with that for a few more years ,only setback being I got told to change my jeans apparently I looked like a slob.
PLEASE guys the above is light harted toung in cheek , fair play to you all with how you go about your take on whats required to participate in this hobby ,sorry people you won’t change me ill carry on enjoying it my way. Mr Slobby.
Dave.

Last edited:

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
HI Dave i think you need to see someone lol 'll say no more im glad i havnt got one lol
chrisb
HI Dave i think you need to see someone lol 'll say no more im glad i havnt got one lol
chrisb
And more power to you Mr Slobby.

What a great place this forum is , allowing you to get all that off your chest lol!
Thanks guys just a bit of light harted mumbling just to make us smile there's no bad thoughts there honest ,the hobby takes itself way to seriously half the time ,perhaps I'll do a light harted mr Slobbys monthly mumblings as long as thoes in charge dont mind and people see it for what it is and dont get all defensive and up set as I said all tounge in cheek. Dave

Valeron

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Very good. Very funny Mr Slobby.

I couldn't cope with not labelling sprues through. I keep them in a messy pile but label them with a bit of masking tape. It keeps me sane.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Thanks guys just a bit of light harted mumbling just to make us smile there's no bad thoughts there honest ,the hobby takes itself way to seriously half the time ,perhaps I'll do a light harted mr Slobbys monthly mumblings as long as thoes in charge dont mind and people see it for what it is and dont get all defensive and up set as I said all tounge in cheek. Dave
YES i for one would like to read up once a month on the thoughts of chairman slobbly as it gave me a good laugh well done
chrisb

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
You're not alone Dave, I too jave a hard time changing my habits in modelling style but have tried some of the new fangled potions and are go to's when I get lazy. Experimenting is part of the fun but I'm most afraid of new products that overtake my scratchbuilds or come out after I have scratxhbuilt the blardy thing. I won't be surprised monkeys and bananas on trees will appear before June and I will have a hard time explaining mine are scratched.
Good place to mumble and grumble.

Cheers,
Wabble

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Lol. Sounds like you need a cuppa PG's finest Dave.
Strip clean the Airbrush: Guilty.
Forget the compressor until it fails: Guilty.
Proud owner of a Sprue stand thingamabob. Guilty.

I use Acrylics, Enamels. lacquers and even Oils through my AB, so if it does not get a good clean I can get B****ered. I do try to keep it to end of session though. (unless a paint type change is called for).
Having had to ditch my trusted silent compressor, 20 litre tank, Two outlets, refrigerator compressor......sigh.... It really was a joy to have. It was as quite as a mouse fart. To many years of neglect resulted in seals popping, OIL getting where it should not, water where it should not. the last strip down revealed 15 liters of "softice" in the tank. (Emulsified oil and water)
And the cause of the strip Down. oil on the floor a cracked feed pipe was found. Old enough to find that the parts can not longer be found. A new one would cost the same as a used car! So I now have one of the 'suitcase' or portable ones (who carries a compressor around, other than a mechanic?) An air-tank that empties quicker than it can fill. Sounds like a pulse engine starting up and I now live in fear or explosion or fire - or both - if spraying something larger than a matchbox.

Sprue holder! Never saw the need. Until you find kit manufactures with kits that have sprue A Ab Ac Ad sprue B, Bb, Bc, Bd, some times two or more of each. Sprues out the bags in the box bits falling off or worse, breaking..... Figured out the sprue rack actually helps keep them under control a bit better. Now I only have the one or two relevant sprues floating around on the bench. As for the masking tape tabs with the sprue letters on. I can never find a marker that can write on the tape with out smudging out the first time you touch them.

Scalpels v hobby knife:
Hobby knive handels are nearly all nice and light, and round. roll very easy. Off the desk and into your foot. Scalpels are, well those I have, made of metal, flat and stay where you put them. Hobby knives it is easy to find blades. Scalpels Here in DK you might find them on the interweb. In fact Amazon is full of them.... "This item can not be sent to your address, choose an other location". How many addresses do they thing people have.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
You're not alone Dave, I too jave a hard time changing my habits in modelling style but have tried some of the new fangled potions and are go to's when I get lazy. Experimenting is part of the fun but I'm most afraid of new products that overtake my scratchbuilds or come out after I have scratxhbuilt the blardy thing. I won't be surprised monkeys and bananas on trees will appear before June and I will have a hard time explaining mine are scratched.
Good place to mumble and grumble.

Cheers,
Wabble
Oh dear Richard, check this out...
https://www.planetfigure.com/threads/multiple-new-sets-of-animal-figurines.527610/

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That could go down a storm O Slob Master!
Steve

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Lol. Sounds like you need a cuppa PG's finest Dave.
Strip clean the Airbrush: Guilty.
Forget the compressor until it fails: Guilty.
Proud owner of a Sprue stand thingamabob. Guilty.

I use Acrylics, Enamels. lacquers and even Oils through my AB, so if it does not get a good clean I can get B****ered. I do try to keep it to end of session though. (unless a paint type change is called for).
Having had to ditch my trusted silent compressor, 20 litre tank, Two outlets, refrigerator compressor......sigh.... It really was a joy to have. It was as quite as a mouse fart. To many years of neglect resulted in seals popping, OIL getting where it should not, water where it should not. the last strip down revealed 15 liters of "softice" in the tank. (Emulsified oil and water)
And the cause of the strip Down. oil on the floor a cracked feed pipe was found. Old enough to find that the parts can not longer be found. A new one would cost the same as a used car! So I now have one of the 'suitcase' or portable ones (who carries a compressor around, other than a mechanic?) An air-tank that empties quicker than it can fill. Sounds like a pulse engine starting up and I now live in fear or explosion or fire - or both - if spraying something larger than a matchbox.

Sprue holder! Never saw the need. Until you find kit manufactures with kits that have sprue A Ab Ac Ad sprue B, Bb, Bc, Bd, some times two or more of each. Sprues out the bags in the box bits falling off or worse, breaking..... Figured out the sprue rack actually helps keep them under control a bit better. Now I only have the one or two relevant sprues floating around on the bench. As for the masking tape tabs with the sprue letters on. I can never find a marker that can write on the tape with out smudging out the first time you touch them.

Scalpels v hobby knife:
Hobby knive handels are nearly all nice and light, and round. roll very easy. Off the desk and into your foot. Scalpels are, well those I have, made of metal, flat and stay where you put them. Hobby knives it is easy to find blades. Scalpels Here in DK you might find them on the interweb. In fact Amazon is full of them.... "This item can not be sent to your address, choose an other location". How many addresses do they thing people have.
The markers that fill your requirements are Stadtler Overhead Projector Pens Ian - available as permanent or soluble, definitely permanent and the Fine and Superfine are perfect , also useful for (eg) marking L or R or part numbers on similar or detached handed pieces. (Can be removed with White Spirit if
required!)
Steve

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Thanks again all ,as I said if thoes in charge dont mind I'll do one in a months time ,not necessarily alway all model related there's always other things in life(I wouldn't go political as this isn't the place)that I can poke my tounge out at. Were see if the boss ok's it. Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Dave,
I quite agree with you, but we're all individuals - ranging from the slobby ( yes, I'm one ) to the borderline OCD, it's whatever keeps you happy! My brother's now an OCD paint centred modeller, and he's horrified when I say a colour is 'near enough'!
Dave

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
See what I mean Neil...lucky for me they're not Macaques. Squirrel monkeys are the ones used frequently in movies like the one which ate the poisoned dates in Raiders of the Lost Ark.
I Found out that there's a difference between apes and monkeys...apes have no tail and swing from tree to tree, monkeys use their tail for balance when jumping from tree to tree sometimes with the help of vines.
The seagulls are a great idea. Friends have asked me to add 1/700 scaled seagulls to my Kure harbour. :flushed::tongue-out3:

Cheers,
Wabble

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Dave,
I quite agree with you, but we're all individuals - ranging from the slobby ( yes, I'm one ) to the borderline OCD, it's whatever keeps you happy! My brother's now an OCD paint centred modeller, and he's horrified when I say a colour is 'near enough'!
Dave
Thanks Dave I did say at the end it was tounge in cheek and well done to all thoes who go about the hobby in there own way in no way do I hope people feel offended or categorised as for that colour will do wait till I next show where I'm at with the bill bus pidgeon loft build. And thanks for bringing us your ups and downs with the 3d printing most of the tec has wooshed straight over the top of my head but have found it interesting. Dave

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Dear Mr. Lovell
I confess that I enjoyed your tongue in cheek rant . If I could be so rude as to suggest slightly shorter sentences. I almost imploded a couple of times. Other than avoiding sport, religion and politics, (always been a no go here on the forum), go for it.

Thanks @Airborne01 for the marker tip. Have a whole heap. Its literally as I said can never find one when I need it. Lol. It will make it to easy having one in my tool holder..... take that Mr. Lovell. Ha!

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
See what I mean Neil...lucky for me they're not Macaques. Squirrel monkeys are the ones used frequently in movies like the one which ate the poisoned dates in Raiders of the Lost Ark.
I Found out that there's a difference between apes and monkeys...apes have no tail and swing from tree to tree, monkeys use their tail for balance when jumping from tree to tree sometimes with the help of vines.
The seagulls are a great idea. Friends have asked me to add 1/700 scaled seagulls to my Kure harbour. :flushed::tongue-out3:

Cheers,
Wabble
No harbor is complete without Sh*t birds! ;)