Mr.Smythe's Hetzer

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Made a few of the Tammy Hetzers, good but cramped tank hunter. Crack on with a StuG Andy, if you need help on details, just give us a shout.

Count me in
Hi Bob, thanks for the offer.... I'll see how I get on :smiling3:
Looks fun Andy. They are tiny though, the one at Bovington seems only about shoulder high. The guy at the back on the box art must be about twelve :tongue-out3:
Yep,fun it is proving to be Tim....so far!! ;)
Now you mention it, yeah … somebody must have wanted to make the thing look more impressive. This shows the real size fairly well, as well as other details, including inside:

Jakko, thanks for the multiple posts and all the info, very interesting stuff :smiling3:
Thanks,an interesting video. Would have hated to be in there as cramped as it was when it fired !
Hi John,yes, looks pretty claustrophobic to me.....think I'd struggle just getting through the hatches!! ;)
Morn Mr. Smiff,

Everybody loves a Hetzer (late) and this kit will be easy to build. I made the Airfix re-box of this a while back. With a little care, the fit is almost perfect. You'll have fun here Andy......The masks look like fun too!!!

The worst part was, the loader worked on the left side behind the driver. He had to lean over/around the breech to load a shell. Not very much fun, to say the least. The gunner was on the right side with the commander stationed behind him. An effective tank destroyer and the low silhouette made it very effective in combat as it was hard to see...

Prost
Allen
Allen, the masks do look very interesting.... both looking forward to them,and apprehensive about them in equal measures!! ;)
Should be fun Andy. Interesting to see the masks provided but you'll find out if they work ok.
Jim,as above really..... but I'm determined to take them on. :smiling3:
........ TBC......

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Very interesting Andy!
Hi Andrew,tis a nice kit to build :smiling3:
Hetzers gonna hetz.......

Looks a tidy wee kit, don't hate on the link and length track too much, personally find them better than the bands and easier than indis, and of course far cheaper than fruils.......
Yeah it is Karl. I've done that type of tracks once before on a Trumpeter KV1, not my favourite,but,as you say, less hassle than individual links and fruits. ;)
Wouldn’t miss it Mr S
Nice one Mick,good to have you along :smiling3:
Looks a nice kit andy , and i must admit im rather partial to this type of tank thingy , without a separate turret .
Totally agree Tony.... there's something about the look of these type of things ;)
Smiffy front and centre please. I'm looking forward to this.
Certainly Scottie! So am I actually!! ;)
..... TBC.......

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I'll be sitting at the back for this - I'll be interested to see how you get on with the camo masks. I have the Eduard Hetzer in the stash, and it has masks only for the road wheels.........
Dave
Hi Dave.... I'm interested to see how they go too.watched the build video on "Andy's Hobby Headquarters".... and he gave up with them,I think he just put too much of the lumpy bits on,which interfered with them ;)
Nice progress , however the bench is looking far too sparse , needs cluttering up a bit :smiling5:
HA!! .....
IMG20230224162100.jpg
It never lasts long Tony.... that more to your liking?!! ;)
Three colour camo always looks nice on wingy things, so should look equally as good on rolly things.
I haven't done any 3 colour camo for a LONG time Colin,so fingers crossed! :smiling3:
Coming on nicely Andy!
Cheers Andrew.... much more progress will be posted up this evening ;)

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Ok, just a small update until later,checked to make sure all wheels touched the ground....
IMG20230222151212.jpg
... and they do!! :smiling3:
The engineering of this kit is top notch,the main gun assembly especially,it needs a bit of care but really does fit together like a glove...
IMG20230224183603.jpg
All has now been primed and given a coat of Dark Yellow....
IMG20230224183528.jpg
... and the wheels have been "dirtied up" a little....
IMG20230224183715.jpg
.... until tonight then...... ;)

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Ok, just a small update until later,checked to make sure all wheels touched the ground....
View attachment 475119
... and they do!! :smiling3:
The engineering of this kit is top notch,the main gun assembly especially,it needs a bit of care but really does fit together like a glove...
View attachment 475120
All has now been primed and given a coat of Dark Yellow....
View attachment 475121
... and the wheels have been "dirtied up" a little....
View attachment 475122
.... until tonight then...... ;)
Going well Andy. Nice looking little beastie…..

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Hi Dave.... I'm interested to see how they go too.watched the build video on "Andy's Hobby Headquarters".... and he gave up with them,I think he just put too much of the lumpy bits on,which interfere
I found that with a T-90 mask by J's works - either you left a lot of bits off, used the mask, then had to paint the bits afterwards, or added all the bits, masked, then had to retouch all the areas where the mask had leaked! I came to a personal opinion that it would be better to hand paint, although, I'm not sure about digital, or pixel camouflage! With aircraft - no problems, with armour, it takes a lot of extra effort!
Dave

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I found that with a T-90 mask by J's works - either you left a lot of bits off, used the mask, then had to paint the bits afterwards, or added all the bits, masked, then had to retouch all the areas where the mask had leaked! I came to a personal opinion that it would be better to hand paint, although, I'm not sure about digital, or pixel camouflage! With aircraft - no problems, with armour, it takes a lot of extra effort!
Dave
Indeed Dave, exactly my thoughts...
.... I'm going to try the first approach that you mentioned :smiling3:

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Nice start Andy, I built the early version a few years ago, it's a lovely kit. Looking forward to seeing how you get on with the masks, be interesting to see how they go.

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks Guys..
Some progress to report..
IMG20230226155712.jpg
...as I said,more stuff done..
IMG20230226172542.jpg
Top stuffed into bottom,in preparation for the masks!! ..
IMG20230226175808.jpg
Some Brown there.. not sure about these masks if I'm honest!! But we'll see...
IMG20230226175908.jpg
However, we've gone this far,so we'll see :smiling3:

Attachments

• IMG20230226172542.jpg
    IMG20230226172542.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 4

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I would have thought your experiences with TopNotch masks would of had you more than used to doing masked camo by now......
Yeah,kind of Karl,
But the Plane ones I've done have been Vinyl previously... These are more like the canopy mask stuff...
...... Probably be fine, I'm just always wary when trying different things for the first time ;)

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
So then, after the brown,this happened,....
IMG20230227173445.jpg
IMG20230227173428.jpg
As you can see,I decided to bolster the mask in certain areas with White Tac,(I'm not convinced about the quality of "seal" with these masks), maybe too late to save leakage on the Yellow,but we'll see :smiling3:
Now the Green applied ..
IMG20230227181221.jpg
... Hmmm, it's been good fun actually, couldn't wait to see the results,but expected the worse!....
IMG20230227185130.jpg
IMG20230227185150.jpg
IMG20230227185207.jpg
Well,as I suspected, there's been some bleed going on,but to be honest,not as bad as I was expecting. :smiling3: I can live with that, nothing that some patching up,and weathering, can't cure. ;)
All in all, I'm thinking it's quite a good base to move forward with,and I won't have to start from scratch :smiling3: