My Bikes shared

L

Laurie

These are the bikes of my youth.

The best the Shooting Star I sold to buy Pauline my wife an engagement ring. God I must have loved her ;) I did I still do.

Love to see yours. Please :D

Not having a camera at that age these are not mine but as mine. Most of mine I fitted a fairing for weather protection and to make them sleek. One of the first ever to own a Barbour Suit a superb outfit.

Laurie

View attachment 96108

View attachment 96113

View attachment 96109

View attachment 96110

View attachment 96111

View attachment 96112

thunderbird.jpg

AJS.jpg

bantam.jpg

BSA250.jpg

excelsior.jpg

shooting star.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Six bikes by the time you were 22 Laurie!! Its a good job Pauline came along , you would have been in the hundreds by now!! All of them beautiful classic machines , you certainly had an eye for a great bike. Personally Ive never ridden a proper bike but I can appreciate the beauty and allure of these old machines, i think the Thunderbird and the Shooting star are my faves here. Great post , cheers Tony

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
As much as I would like to share pictures of my miss-spent youth I have an ex-wife that thought ALL my photographs where better suited to light the fire in the living room.

So...

Started with a Honda 125. which was replaced with a CB400. the one with those bloody terrible brakes built into the wheels. That got parked in the back of a car that, instead of turning into the car park, as they signaled to do, stopped. I ended up on the roof, the front wheel of the bike ended up in the crank case!

A Yamaha RD350 took is place. it was around here that I got the speed bug... go figure. Bought an old Suzi GS550 and tuned the #### out of it. Got fed up buying rear tyres and sprockets.

Bought a CBX and rode that as a cruiser.

The RD got stripped down all the bits that did not have to be there ended in the bin or work shop. including the battery! Spoked wheels lightened every thing. Single side read swing.

Went like poop of a spade and I could get through a set of foot pegs in a week!" lol.

Then I had the chance of a life time. A Suzuki GSX katana. well frame, tank, seat and panels. The motor was a big lump of melted ally.

This got the works. Upside down front forks, single rear swinger. Reduced size racing wheels, belly pan petrol tank. Oh and a race tuned 1375 Yoshimira motor.... It went rather fast.

Sold them all when I came to Denmark and never ridden a motor bike since!

Ian M

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
The nearest I ever got to a bike was my sister's Honda Melody - I'll leave it there.................

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
great bikes,Laurie,as Tony said lucky Pauline came along,cannot ride one,but do like the looks of some,

scary 2 wheeled things give me a nice big worm blood any day lol, ;)

oh no Ian what a shame,you must of did some think very wrong to get that wrath :confused:

L

Laurie

Yes the Shooting Star was superb to ride. Rode around as if I was king. Silver Helmet the domed type rather like an early paras helmet no peek. WW11 goggles with the faceted glass pieces and leather boots.

Reached the ton a couple of times scary the first time and also the second but you had to do it. Pauline would not come near the thing. Apparently her two young sisters used to nick my gear and parade around while Pauline and I talked o_O to each other in the front room.

I sold it in better nick than when I bought it new. Halcyon days. I bought my 7th in line when 56. A Kawasaki 250 belt driven. Nice but not a Shooting Star. :cool:

Laurie

T

Tibbs

Had a few bikes, started on a Honda ss50, then got a honda C90, Honda CB125, Yamaha RS125..... Passed my test, had a few race bikes, mainly Honda CBR's, 400 and 600...... Age forced me to sit alittle more upright, so had a Suzuki bandit for a few years..... Then got my last bike, a Ducati 696 Monster which i was nagged into selling last year, to help pay for my daughters wedding this year..... I can still hear it, i tell ya ......"sob"

View attachment 96150

image.jpg

D

Deleted member 3568

I started on a reliegh runabout moped then got a Honda c50 then an fsie then a yam rd 100 followed by a 250 then several between 250 and 400s this is all within about 3 yrs then I got a 550 k 4 I loved and still do love that bike unfortunately I killed it, very horrifically quite a break then got a 750 k 4 then a gpz 550 then a cagiva 550 single ( the worst bike I ever bought got past by a cz 125 oh the shame) mind you it wasn't quick but it could've pulled a caravan. A Norton commando(this must have been my bad bike period) Then another 2 750 k4s and finally a triumph 900, now you all may think that is a lot of bikes but in fairness they were all old and tatty (apart for the 550 k4) so most of them didn't last long, I actually think I have probably missed out several bikes, my memorys not what it was.

L

Laurie

\ said:
I started on a reliegh runabout moped then got a Honda c50 then an fsie then a yam rd 100 followed by a 250 then several between 250 and 400s this is all within about 3 yrs then I got a 550 k 4 I loved and still do love that bike unfortunately I killed it, very horrifically quite a break then got a 750 k 4 then a gpz 550 then a cagiva 550 single ( the worst bike I ever bought got past by a cz 125 oh the shame) mind you it wasn't quick but it could've pulled a caravan. A Norton commando(this must have been my bad bike period) Then another 2 750 k4s and finally a triumph 900, now you all may think that is a lot of bikes but in fairness they were all old and tatty (apart for the 550 k4) so most of them didn't last long, I actually think I have probably missed out several bikes, my memorys not what it was.
God is that not the lot Ken :eek: Thought mine was good going. 6 bikes in a 3 year period.

Laurie

T

Tibbs

\ said:
WOW...... A CZ..... Go to your room ;)

P

Polux

My first super bike!! A Vespino ALX 49cc....I was fourteen then:smiling3:

View attachment 96151

Then I started to drive cars....and one day decided to bought this Yamaha!! Very funny one!!View attachment 96152

Well.....I live on the mountain so.....

My first trial bike was a Gas Gas :smiling3:

View attachment 96153

The second one, the Sherco!

View attachment 96154

And my last one, the Beta.

View attachment 96155

And my last love by the moment..... a beautyful bullet ;) View attachment 96156

I really miss this last one :rolleyes:

Polux

descarga.jpg

2011-Yamaha-MT-03-EU-Competition-White-Studio-001.jpg

Moto Raga3.jpg

sherco-access-te-acerca-al-mundo-trial-126340914147446.jpg

img_0.jpg

gsxr600_k7_cwh_s_3.jpg

Last edited:
T

tommy1drop

Started on scooters Lambrettas and Vespas, still got 3 Vespas in the garage, first bike was a Kawasaki GPZ550 had that for 3 years lovely bike, and for a 550 she was quick, progressed to a Yamaha 900 xjs another lovely bike, I miss the bikes, but I had my fun on them, and unless I get myself a side car or a trike, I cant see myself on two wheels again....but I do miss the freedom, but will always have the memories.

L

Laurie

\ said:
I miss the bikes, but I had my fun on them, and unless I get myself a side car or a trike, I cant see myself on two wheels again....but I do miss the freedom, but will always have the memories.
Same here just dream of them now. When on my Shooting Star it was another world. During the pouring rain the cold or on snow I just loved every moment. Just the dreams now. a few nightmares as I came off about 4 times.

One thick fog. Used the road every day but fog fools you. Took the left hand fork but not enough and ran slap into a wall at about 30mph. Blood, crooked forks and a bent wheel. Plus pride took a dive. Mother took me to the doctors. She said I had said I would never ride another bike. He said rubbish. Correct mended the forks and the wheel in a week and off I went. Mother was probably disappointed.

Laurie

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
I've had more bikes over the years than I care to think about ................

At 16 I started with a PC50 Honda.......... 17 a Suzuki 250 X7 ............. And last year, a VMAX...... Open the throttle and hold on while it tears your arms out of your shoulder sockets ......... and this year ??? I'm not sure yet.

View attachment 96167

View attachment 96168

View attachment 96169

pc50.png

x7.jpg

vmax.jpg

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
\ said:
These are the bikes of my youth.The best the Shooting Star I sold to buy Pauline my wife an engagement ring. God I must have loved her ;) I did I still do.

Love to see yours. Please :D

Not having a camera at that age these are not mine but as mine. Most of mine I fitted a fairing for weather protection and to make them sleek. One of the first ever to own a Barbour Suit a superb outfit.

Laurie

View attachment 97424 View attachment 97425 View attachment 97423 View attachment 97426 View attachment 97422 View attachment 97427
Hi Laurie,

I like the engagement ring thing ............... I have a similar story. Just as romantic.

When I was 21 I was engaged to a girl (who later married me) ............. We were saving up to get married .............. I got made redundant. On the last day at work a group of us (pocket bulging with redundancy and holiday pay).went for a drink........... I nded up buying a Suzuki GT550 of a bloke in the pub, spent all the cash ........... and couldn't understand why my fiancé got the "right hump" and wasn't at all impressed with the bike .......... Women eh ????? No figuring them sometimes.

Peter

View attachment 96170

gt550.png

L

Laurie

\ said:
Hi Laurie,I like the engagement ring thing ............... I have a similar story. Just as romantic.

When I was 21 I was engaged to a girl (who later married me) ............. We were saving up to get married .............. I got made redundant. On the last day at work a group of us (pocket bulging with redundancy and holiday pay).went for a drink........... I nded up buying a Suzuki GT550 of a bloke in the pub, spent all the cash ........... and couldn't understand why my fiancé got the "right hump" and wasn't at all impressed with the bike .......... Women eh ????? No figuring them sometimes. Peter
Wow Peter she must like you.

My bit was a bit deeper. Sold the Bike certainly to buy a ring. But sold the bike to get rid of the HP so I could then save for a ring. What we do for these women ;)

Laurie

S

Stevekir

I had a 150 cc BSA single cylinder when an apprentice in Birmingham in 1955-57. Some mates and I used to roar around the country South of Birmingham, ending with the secret chicken and mushroom pies at the Fleur de Lys at Lowsenford (still offering them but for evening meals only), washed down of course. Then merrily roared back home to Erdington. No helmets, leathers etc.