My first in a while...

First Name
Drew
Well, last night I rejoined the scale modelling community. After 19 years (on and off) of painting GW figs I opened a box I’ve had lying around for a few years.

The last kit I made (apart from a Wallace and Gromit van I recently made for my eldest son) was in 1991 and was a 1/72 F-14 Tomcat with pilots from the Hasegawa pilots/crew set.

What was the kit I opened last night?

An Academy 1/72 F-14 Tomcat.

I can’t remember the manufacturer of the kit 19 years ago but it’s quite possibly the exact same one. I’m also using pilots from the Hasegawa pilots/crew set (not the same one from way back then, I hasten to add, I bought a new set).

The end result will not be anywhere near as good as some of the builds I’ve seen on here, there’s no false modesty here just a simple fact, I have no airbrush (and wouldn’t know how to use one if I did) so will be brushing the paint on.

I’ll just have to keep fighting my impatience and take my time over it.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Drew

Welcome back to the hobby. I, like you, have come back to modelling after a very long time. You will be amazed at the advances in kit technology and also the level of the finished kits these days! This really is a golden age in terms of the hobby and I'm sure you'll enjoy you're return to it. You shouldn't worry about not airbrushing the finish, there are some excellent brush painted examples on this site and I'm sure they'd be happy to give some advice should you need it.

All the best with the Tomcat

Paul

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Well it's like riding a bike,you'll be fine! I'm sure you'll notice some new techniques and products but the basics never change. Good luck with the Tomcat,enjoy the build.

Cheers

Steve

First Name
Drew
Well, this build isn't going too well. In fact, it's almost been abandoned several times (in one instance it was almost abandoned violently) but I'm using this as a learning process.

I've realised re-learned several things since starting this so I will post photo's of the final outcome regardless of how it looks (and I can guess how it'll look at the moment).

My first (and worst) moment (so far) was when I tried to fit a couple of Hasegawa pilots into the cockpit.

They didn't fit and I ended up having to do a Douglas Bader on both of them!

After that I left it for four days while I decided whether or not to bin it. I've decided to carry on and I'll learn what I can from it and will report back my findings (although I'm sure everyone here has already learned these lessons).

P

peter61_uk

Hi Drew............. I did much the same with an old kit I built as my second............It was an old Kopro kit ............ nothing seemed to fit properly and there was a little bit of anger going on mixed with quite a bit of artistic license............. Keep at it mate and if it's just a learning curve it'll payoff on your next one..........

........... Whatever the outcome post up a few piccies when you are done.

Chees

Peter

B

Bunkerbarge

Drew we all go through these periods and returning after a length of time is always a frustration as we realise that techniques and materials have moved on and we feel even further behind than we did when we last made a model.

We've all had ones that we want to throw out of the window at some point so you have to back off a bit and think whether you want to make it purely as a learning exercise and try out as many techniques as you can think of as you go along or whether you want to make a serious attempt at it, in which case it might be an idea to make another Wallace and Gromit kit just to put a smile back on your face, I like the porridge firing plane!

If it was me I would cut my losses and use the model as a paint hack to try out ideas and techniques and when you have finished it leave it on your bench as a reference before coming up with some form of dramatic ending for it. In my youth it would invariably involve a firework but we are all a bit more sensible nowadays!

The last thing you want to do is get into a rut where you don't enjoy doing it as that could put you off completely.

First Name
Drew
Thanks for the encouragement guys but I've decided the fate of this one.

I will never be 100% behind this build (being 75% behind it is being generous) and I've gone passed the point of no return. I'll salvage what I can from the sprues and will use what I have for practice. I need to work out how to fit canopies to the cockpit...don't laugh...when I was younger the canopy always ended up (at least) partially smokey due to (I'm assuming) vapours from the glue. I'm thinking about using PVA for this - or is there a better way to do it (maybe it was just because I was young and in experienced)?

Also, I need to find a protective covering that has a matt finish (or as close to it as can be expected).

I think the best thing to do with this one is cut the losses at the moment and move onto the next one.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I didn't laugh. I was lucky if my canopies ended up merely clouded,they usually featured a thumb print as well. It is the glue that causes this,both poly cements and cyano acrylate (superglue).

PVA will work fine,I used to use an acrylic watch cement but now use Kristal Klear or Gator's Grip,both of which look suspiciously like PVA.

For your matt coat you'll need a matt varnish. I airbrush the Vallejo varnishes but there are many available. If you don't use an airbrush I expect something can be brushed or maybe available in an aerosol. Someone will know.

Cheers

Steve

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Drew, I don't use an airbrush either and I find Vallejo Matt varnish works great on my models. I thin mine with a little distilled water...Tap water works too, it's just that I have a big bottle of distilled and I have read somewhere that it's better than out of the tap. Personally, I can't tell the difference in the finish!

Don't worry if you mix the varnish too thin, just leave it to dry and do a second coat a bit thicker, it's very forgiving stuff.

To apply the varnish I always use a flat head brush No 6 or bigger. Just be aware of runs under the fus. and at the wing edges, particularily underneath.

Merry Christmas,

Ron