My Lambo Countach 5000 Build....

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
My Lambo Countach 5000 QUATROVALVOLE Build.... Fujimi 1/24

I bought this on evilbay.......... Supposedly only a few bits assembled / painted.

Well I made a start. Although not the start I was expecting. When I went through the kit I found a small ziplock bag with some engine parts that had been assembled..........and assembled quite badly. However, and I have no idea why but whoever had done it had:

A. Not trimmed or cleaned any of the parts up

B. Not given any thought to how different parts could be painted in different colours

and.........

C. Had not used Poly Cement. I have no idea quite what had been used but it was brown and quite brittle????

Anyway. Luckily everything came apart relatively easily but cleaning off whatever the adhesive was took a while. But finally I think I'm back where it should have started. I've cleaned everything up and "dry fit" tested all the components that had been put together. So tomorrow I can start afresh and paint some of them.

I'll post some piccies as I go.

Peter

Last edited by a moderator:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Sharp looking car Peter, look forward to the build.

P

Plastickitbasher

Ah the evils of pre started kits.

Good luck, looking forward to seeing a few photos

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
\ said:
Ah the evils of pre started kits.Good luck, looking forward to seeing a few photos
Yes. I know we all have different skill levels......... and I know mine are sadly lacking in many many things but that really was beyond my understanding.

I'm just glad they came apart ok.

Peter

First Name
Andy
Hi Peter,

This was and still is one of my dream cars, looking forward to watching this one...:biggthumpup:

\ said:
Ah the evils of pre started kits.Good luck, looking forward to seeing a few photos
Their the only kits I can afford these days, some aren't too bad and then others are just a little too beyond so they become part supplies...

Andy...

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
\ said:
Hi Peter,This was and still is one of my dream cars, looking forward to watching this one...:biggthumpup:

Their the only kits I can afford these days, some aren't too bad and then others are just a little too beyond so they become part supplies...

Andy...
Maybe this one will be a waste of time........ I'll see as we go. If it turns out to be a mission beacause nothing fits properly then it'll end up in the bin. It only cost me £8.00 so not much to lose other than my time invested in it.

But I will give it my best shot.

Peter

Peter

First Name
Andy
\ said:
Maybe this one will be a waste of time........ I'll see as we go. If it turns out to be a mission beacause nothing fits properly then it'll end up in the bin. It only cost me £8.00 so not much to lose other than my time invested in it.But I will give it my best shot.

Peter

Peter
Hi Peter,

Don't just bin it, keep it and use it for spares etc, you could even turn it into a scrap car in a diorama but, don't just bin it...

Andy...

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
Well we have an engine and gearbox ............. I'm working on some HT Leads (I've destroyed an old computer lead) ......... But apart from those it's done. Chassis and suspension next.

.............. I really am rubbish with a camera.

Peter

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
Hi All,

Bit of a crisis going on here ........ As you know this was a part started kit. Having salvaged the engine (I'm really quite pleased with the result. I've moved on to chassis and suspension ........ and here's the "rub" as they say. Mr "part build has painted some of the components on the sprues, not many but enough. He has decided to paint them "Gloss Black" when they should be "Matt Black". So, starting with the front bulkhead I flatted it down and started painting. It's not very big so I thought I'd brush it and, the paint just wouldn't go on just like there was a film of grease on it. So I cleaned it off with some IPA and a bit of soapy water let it dry and tried again. Same result.............. So I thought I'd spray it and while I'm at it I'd do the main chassis as well. Now bearing in mind most of these components have intricate mouldings so I cant get to all the corners with abrasive. Anyway, I sprayed them and the paint has just crazed. I'm using acrylic paint so I would have thought it wouldn't react like that.......... As I have no idea what "Mr Part Build" has used I'm sort of stuck..............I don't want to give up on it because so far it's been a great kit to build.

Any thoughts or ideas would be most welcome.

Peter

P

Plastickitbasher

Peter

Great wok on that engine, very nice indeed.

For your paint problem maybe an overspray of some enamel paint, just a thought

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
At first i would have said that he had used enamel paint and maybe that was why the acrylic you brushed on didnt stick , but then you said the acrylic aerosol crazed the paint i'm not so sure now. If it was me i would be tempted to get some Fairy power spray and strip everything back to the plastic and start again , cheers tony

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
Well I've made a bit of progress ................ Front Suspension is done, Front Bulkhead is in, Engine is in and the rear fenders are fitted.

The rear fender on the left side was a bitch. The moulding where it mounts on the chassis was twisted. I tried warming it up and straightening it but it was having none of it. So I ended up chopping it up and rebuilding the "trellis" with some sprue............... It aint perfect but it's pretty close, and most of it's almost hidden anyhow.

There is some more detail to go in the engine bay, rear suspension and then cockpit.............. After that lot (and there really is a lot to this Fujimi kit)...... I'll attack the bodywork.

Peter

C

cutandfold

your acrylic is waterbased? and the paint on the model is older oil based enamel?

sounds like it needs a stripping.

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
\ said:
your acrylic is waterbased? and the paint on the model is older oil based enamel?sounds like it needs a stripping.
What can I use to strip it ???

Peter

C

cutandfold

in order of performance:

superclean by castrol

simplegreen concentrate

purple power

pinesol

spic and span

formula 409

easy off oven cleaner

soak to loosen paint, scrub off loose stuff with toothbrush, etc

then soak more to remove the rest

brake fluid works well, but its a big problem to clean up afterwards.

requires lots of soapy cleaning.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
First Name
Paul
cheapest brake fluid you can get.........thats what ive used in the past

just remember all the relevant H&S bumf

be a shame to bin this with it being a fujimi kit

always like the countach......bit of a classic imo

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
Thanks guys .............. I will give it a go.

........ I will not be beaten by this kit and "Mr Part Build". Besides, I've put too much energy into getting this far with it to stop now.

Peter

First Name
Gregg
I have to agree with YAK, it does sound like it has been painted with enamel.

Acrylic paint can craze/seperate if applied over enamel, it is all to do with surface tension, but I won't bore you with the nerdy explanation!

I also agree that stripping would be the best option, a barrier seal paint is available (expensive), but is so viscous you would lose any fine detail

the parts may have!

Gregg

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Hi Peter your engine looks awesome very satisfying when you rescue something like this as for your recent problem to strip paints in the past I have used oven cleaner brush restorer toothbrush and cocktail sticks but the results have been varied sometimes a soak in hot water works depending on paint used. After this process I always submerge the parts into a jar of bird grit and give a good shake wash in soapy water and rinse be careful with the bird grit as it can sometimes smooth things to much depending on how long you shake the jar . I hope you find a method to solve your problem just letting you know how I have done this in the past good luck John