My spray booth - As it seems to have vanished I will put it here.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
So winter was on its way. no real heating in the shed/cave and no electricity unless the weather was dry (extension lead to and from house), so it looked like a case of rattle can primer, then once dry spray with primer or build and then wait for warmer weather to paint.
But trawling through YT one night I came across this video -
And I thought yeah! ok another weird idea to gas yourself....
But then I thought about it and reason set in so I ordered the items required including a new spray booth and table (which seconds as a bench extension)....

20231216_101246_HDR.jpg
20231218_105029_HDR.jpg
And here they are minus the table which was still folded away...
So the first job was to open up the foam which comes shrink wrapped and its main use is for acting as a fileter in a fish tank. This once carefully unfolded was placed in a bucket of water to expand to its original size 2ft x 2ft, then allowed to dry (3 days + 1 in the airing cupboard)...
During this time I assembled the bucket/water trap. A hole 10.5 cm diameter was cut into the lid, with 8 half inch holes drilled around the top to allow air to escape, and once cleaned up the extraction hose was stretched out about 12 inches and fed through the hole. Once satisfied with the length inside the bucket (8in) I used mastic sealant on both sides of the hole to seal in the pipe and allowed it to dry for 48 hours once smoothed and cleaned up.
I then got out the table and unfolded the legs expecting a smallish size but it is about 18in x 36in and was ideal for the spray booth to fit on lengthways.
The spray booth was assembled and tested to make sure it worked...
Assembly day -
The lid was placed on the bucket but I did find that the pipe had a tendancy to lift the lid - this was solve by a length of masking tape wound around both lid and bucket as you would a parcel (no water yet).
The other end of the pipe was fitted to the rubber seal and instead of using the aligator clip to hold the seal onto the spray booth I used it to hold the seal onto the pipe and push fitted the seal onto the outlet on the back of the spray booth...
20231224_114949_HDR.jpg
The foam was cut in a 12in x 12in size and then a hole 10.5 cm was cut in the centre and the outside diameter cut to match the bucket lid and then a cut made from the centre to the outside to allow the foam to fit around the pipe. I did add some small squares of double sided carpet tape between the air holes just to hold down the foam....
20231224_114941_HDR.jpg
And there it is all assembled...
I did a test run and sprayed some IPA into the booth and to be honest there was no smell except when I forgot and sprayed the rest into the waste paper bin :rolling:...
20231224_114958_HDR.jpg
And here it is fully working, water in the bucket (about 3 inches and scented with some 'pine' floor cleaner) - Does it work - yes, and I stand humbled for doubting the guy who put up the video....
Cost - For everything just under £100... Time for construction - however long you want to take

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Now that really is a quirky solution. Glad it works. Quite a simple idea though. I wonder how long before it will need a clean to maintain efficiency.

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Now that really is a quirky solution. Glad it works. Quite a simple idea though. I wonder how long before it will need a clean to maintain efficiency.
Jim.
Just a change of water and the filter material , I'd do it depending on use, but would the water develop a smell with age ?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Jim.
Just a change of water and the filter material , I'd do it depending on use, but would the water develop a smell with age ?
Personally I’d put just a capful of bleach in the water when I refilled it. Should stay bug free then. Mind you, if you spill the mild bleach water on a carpet you won’t stay bruise free……the household authorities will take a very dim view of proceedings.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
So winter was on its way. no real heating in the shed/cave and no electricity unless the weather was dry (extension lead to and from house), so it looked like a case of rattle can primer, then once dry spray with primer or build and then wait for warmer weather to paint.
But trawling through YT one night I came across this video -
And I thought yeah! ok another weird idea to gas yourself....
But then I thought about it and reason set in so I ordered the items required including a new spray booth and table (which seconds as a bench extension)....

View attachment 498626
View attachment 498627
And here they are minus the table which was still folded away...
So the first job was to open up the foam which comes shrink wrapped and its main use is for acting as a fileter in a fish tank. This once carefully unfolded was placed in a bucket of water to expand to its original size 2ft x 2ft, then allowed to dry (3 days + 1 in the airing cupboard)...
During this time I assembled the bucket/water trap. A hole 10.5 cm diameter was cut into the lid, with 8 half inch holes drilled around the top to allow air to escape, and once cleaned up the extraction hose was stretched out about 12 inches and fed through the hole. Once satisfied with the length inside the bucket (8in) I used mastic sealant on both sides of the hole to seal in the pipe and allowed it to dry for 48 hours once smoothed and cleaned up.
I then got out the table and unfolded the legs expecting a smallish size but it is about 18in x 36in and was ideal for the spray booth to fit on lengthways.
The spray booth was assembled and tested to make sure it worked...
Assembly day -
The lid was placed on the bucket but I did find that the pipe had a tendancy to lift the lid - this was solve by a length of masking tape wound around both lid and bucket as you would a parcel (no water yet).
The other end of the pipe was fitted to the rubber seal and instead of using the aligator clip to hold the seal onto the spray booth I used it to hold the seal onto the pipe and push fitted the seal onto the outlet on the back of the spray booth...
View attachment 498630
The foam was cut in a 12in x 12in size and then a hole 10.5 cm was cut in the centre and the outside diameter cut to match the bucket lid and then a cut made from the centre to the outside to allow the foam to fit around the pipe. I did add some small squares of double sided carpet tape between the air holes just to hold down the foam....
View attachment 498631
And there it is all assembled...
I did a test run and sprayed some IPA into the booth and to be honest there was no smell except when I forgot and sprayed the rest into the waste paper bin :rolling:...
View attachment 498632
And here it is fully working, water in the bucket (about 3 inches and scented with some 'pine' floor cleaner) - Does it work - yes, and I stand humbled for doubting the guy who put up the video....
Cost - For everything just under £100... Time for construction - however long you want to take
That's it - just when I thought I was ok for equipment and such.;) You go and give me something stick on a new wish list!!!:rolling:
So I guess that'll sort any thinking for SWIMBO at birthday time!!! So I guess - cheers Mike!!:thumb2:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Nice idea Mike. When I first got an AB I was too far from the Window and so used to 'vent' into a bucket of water too - albeit without the foam but I only use water based paints, so the smell is less of an issue.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Hello Jim,
I am working on a policy of once I have finished spraying then I would empty the bucket untill the next time. How long does it take to put the water in..

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Personally I’d put just a capful of bleach in the water when I refilled it. Should stay bug free then. Mind you, if you spill the mild bleach water on a carpet you won’t stay bruise free……the household authorities will take a very dim view of proceedings.
I use Zoflora so if there is a spill it will not stain the carpet, and basically what has not been spilled on a modellers carpet.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
That's it - just when I thought I was ok for equipment and such.;) You go and give me something stick on a new wish list!!!:rolling:
So I guess that'll sort any thinking for SWIMBO at birthday time!!! So I guess - cheers Mike!!:thumb2:
I do love spending your money, I can hear your wallet screaming from here as you try to open those rusted hinges...:tears-of-joy:

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Nice idea Mike. When I first got an AB I was too far from the Window and so used to 'vent' into a bucket of water too - albeit without the foam but I only use water based paints, so the smell is less of an issue.
You were nearly there, and in reality this was mainly for lacquers and enamels, but nothing stopping you from blowing into the bucket.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
No, this is what you use when you have finished spraying and want to get rid of the excess paint and clean the airbrush... Got one totally useless, SWMBO now uses it in her greenhouse.
Interesting…..mine works well as designed, though I do put it in the spray booth. No idea how you’d use it in a green house though?

The bucket idea still works in exactly the same way, and is a clever use of the same idea. Air/paint mix is pushed into the container by the spray booth fan. Particulates in the exhaust stream are captured in the filter, and solvents are captured by the water. It may be more effective because the air flow into the bucket has a lower velocity compared to the airbrush nozzle, and velocity is dropped even further by the change in diameter from tube to bucket, but the principle is identical.

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
What a brilliant idea. Just been using a rattle can primer, but had go in the garage. Soooo need a spray booth. Saw a YT this am using a plastic box and bathroom fan. This setup would allow me to use the end of my build table for spraying. I can feel an amazon delivery winging it's way to me already.

Tworrs

SMF Supporter
First Name
Garry
What a brilliant idea. Just been using a rattle can primer, but had go in the garage. Soooo need a spray booth. Saw a YT this am using a plastic box and bathroom fan. This setup would allow me to use the end of my build table for spraying. I can feel an amazon delivery winging it's way to me already.
That is what I made up for my airbrushing Andy, except mine was a real cheapo, cardboard box with an old bathroom extract fan and the silver concertina hose that was with it stuck out of the window, and to be fair it does a fine job.

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
That is what I made up for my airbrushing Andy, except mine was a real cheapo, cardboard box with an old bathroom extract fan and the silver concertina hose that was with it stuck out of the window, and to be fair it does a fine job.
Would use cardboard but like the idea of been able to chuck everything into a plastic box. Can't use the window as that's the wife's side of the room, so the bucket is great.

Tworrs

SMF Supporter
First Name
Garry
Would use cardboard but like the idea of been able to chuck everything into a plastic box. Can't use the window as that's the wife's side of the room, so the bucket is great.
I understand Andy, I'm fortunate in not having to share my space with SWMBO.

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I understand Andy, I'm fortunate in not having to share my space with SWMBO.
Unfortunately I have to admit that it is SWMBO that allows me to use a small part of HER space lol. Anyway she's been very good, says that B&M is best place for a plastic box. Thinking of something the size of a nappy bucket and B&Q do a nice line in bathroom fans with flexi pipe.
And of course Happy New Year.

Tworrs

SMF Supporter
First Name
Garry
Unfortunately I have to admit that it is SWMBO that allows me to use a small part of HER space lol. Anyway she's been very good, says that B&M is best place for a plastic box. Thinking of something the size of a nappy bucket and B&Q do a nice line in bathroom fans with flexi pipe.
And of course Happy New Year.
My SWMBO has her own studio, that I would not dare to try and encroach upon, I value my nether regions to much ;)
Happy New Year to you too.

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I hope you don't mind Scratchbuilder if I post this. Without your original post about the bucket would not of tried this.
So spent the afternoon in the garage after going to B&M and B&Q and built a booth. Only tried it with water as I'm waiting for the foam to arrive. Seems to work.
Not the most attractive, yes could of spent time painting the wood. Would it have improved the performance... no, so no paint.
20240102_164540.jpg
The bucket came free with fat balls for the birds.