My spray booth - As it seems to have vanished I will put it here.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
That looks fine Andy. :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2:

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
That looks fine Andy. :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2:
Ah if only it were true John. Tried it this morning with paint. Fan not powerful enough so getting another one tomorrow with 3 times the power.
I think the video that scatchbuilder posted did say something about 130m3 an hour, so my fault.

• Sad
Reactions: JR

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Great job Andy, really grand work.
For those of us who would like to build one ourselves. What fan did you settle for that was powerful enough. I've been looking and just get bogged down with ll the specs. And none of the ones I have looked at mention m3per hour specs either!!

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Great job Andy, really grand work.
For those of us who would like to build one ourselves. What fan did you settle for that was powerful enough. I've been looking and just get bogged down with ll the specs. And none of the ones I have looked at mention m3per hour specs either!!
Will have a look and post a breakdown.

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
OK sorted.
Box from B&M 18"x14"x10" whd
Fan from Amazon. Vents 100mm 4" inline loft fan. 2speed. 187 m3 per hour. Give it in the product details. There are a few at different prices and names but are the same fan.
Foam from Amazon. Shunting bio cotton filter foam.
Concertina pipe. Screwed up but this came with first fan so used it. Got it from B&Q but amazon do it.
Bucket already had it as had bird feeder fat balls in.
Wood/switch/cable/plug out of the garage.
Prices:
Fan £37.49
Pipe £10 to £20 depends where you get it. Remember you'll need a vent for the back of the box.
Box £5.00
Foam £8.99
Bucket / timber ??? What ever you have.
The fan is a two speed, so when wiring it use l2 only.
Don't know if it's expensive or not...

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
There was something else I thought of, might be a bit obvious, but you need the space. I have space on the end of my build table for it with working space for 1/35 armour, couldn't build a 1/72 MTB or HMS Kent. At least with a bought booth they usually fold up into a neat package.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Well done Andy, no problem with building your own, I only throw the hook in the water, if the fish bite fine.
I have a spray booth I built using the instructions for measurements from a spray booth I bought, that when the fan was connected it tipped over backwards, so was about as much use as a sock with two holes... So off down to the garage and liberated some 10mm MDF I had there and built my own, only trouble is it is heavy and cumbersome so it will be there ready for the summer when I can spray away happily knowing the birds are getting high on the fumes coming out of the shed....
I have contacted the guy that put up the video and thanked him for his contribution to our hobby.

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
So off down to the garage and liberated some 10mm MDF I had there and built my own, only trouble is it is heavy and cumbersome so it will be there ready for the summer when I can spray away happily knowing the birds are getting high on the fumes coming out of the shed....
I have contacted the guy that put up the video and thanked him for his contribution to our hobby.
Always thought when I've seen booths, they're only a box with a fan. Easy enough if you have the gear to build it. I appreciate that not everyone is fortunate enough to have a garage and tools. The problem always for me is no where to stick the pipe (suggestions welcome, lol) but the bucket, well brilliant in its simplicity. Not sure how well it would work with solvent based paint though.
Andy

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Always thought when I've seen booths, they're only a box with a fan. Easy enough if you have the gear to build it. I appreciate that not everyone is fortunate enough to have a garage and tools. The problem always for me is no where to stick the pipe (suggestions welcome, lol) but the bucket, well brilliant in its simplicity. Not sure how well it would work with solvent based paint though.
Andy
It works with Lacquers as well as Acrylics, I test sprayed a full cup of IPA at the booth and the only time I got a whiff of IPA was when I sprayed into the kitchen towel in the waste basket (not thinking).

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
It works with Lacquers as well as Acrylics, I test sprayed a full cup of IPA at the booth and the only time I got a whiff of IPA was when I sprayed into the kitchen towel in the waste basket (not thinking).
Well that's good to know, thought there might be some fumes. :hungry: