Nanking blue color

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
I am on the look out for nanking blue paint I know rail match do it I am just wondering if there are any other manufacturers with a close match preferably in acrylic and good for airbrushing
Your help would be much appreciated

Gary MacKenzie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary

Closest i can find in acrylics is

1696499361393.png1696499384308.png

Last edited:

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
Thanks but I am looking for acrylic cause I find enamels to smelly for my liking

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
What are you painting. Is it a single item or does it need to match other wagons?
Does the colour have a BS number. or is it just British Rail Blue?
If its a stand alone, I would get some Vallejo model color Prussian blue, both the dark and the light and some PRU blue. See which is closest and mix them to get the best result. Dont forget to let a test swatch dry befor you commit. Been there, done that. Mixed a perfect match to some thing once, panted the model and went out. The colour once dry was quite different. Oh and make sure you mix enough in one go... lol

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
What are you painting. Is it a single item or does it need to match other wagons?
Does the colour have a BS number. or is it just British Rail Blue?
If its a stand alone, I would get some Vallejo model color Prussian blue, both the dark and the light and some PRU blue. See which is closest and mix them to get the best result. Dont forget to let a test swatch dry befor you commit. Been there, done that. Mixed a perfect match to some thing once, panted the model and went out. The colour once dry was quite different. Oh and make sure you mix enough in one go... lol
I am or will be building some kitmaster blue pullman coaches as I have two triang blue pullman engines so I can make the set but I found a match in the shop but as I will be replacing the decals on the power units so I will doing a complete repaint so I can have a full matching set

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Just a thought Pete. Humbrol acrylics have British railway colours. Part of Hornby so they might have some. Diesel blue maybe...Garter blue?

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
Just a thought Pete. Humbrol acrylics have British railway colours. Part of Hornby so they might have some. Diesel blue maybe...Garter blue?
I have tried them but I can't seem to get them to spray well I will see how I get on with the paints from the shop and if worst case I will find a rattle can of rail match

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Nanking blue is distinct from both Rail blue and Garter blue unfortunately. The only off the shelf matches I can find are made by Railmatch and Phoenix, both in enamels as you say. I was hoping one of the Lifecolor BR sets would have it but they don’t. One option is to buy one of those and make a test swatch, then try to match it with acrylics. It’s a bit of a faff though. Quite surprised the rail guys haven’t modernised to be honest.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Must admit Peter, that blue driving car looks very close to Deltic Prototype blue. Unfortunately I can’t find that in acrylic either :sleeping2: