Need help with PE, its driving me nuts!!

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Afternoon

I am desperate for help with my continuing major problems with PE

I just cannot get it to stick correctly, i clean it, rough it up place it etc

I use either a cocktail stick or thin wire to apply the CA, the PE goes on and looks ok, leave it too set but hey presto i just have to touch it by accident or look at it and it drops off. I end up putting to much CA which looks terrible

I had a nightmare adding the skirt brackets onto the stug, thought it had stuck but just touched it and it all fell off, really had to control my temper, its making me dread going anywhere near PE.

Can somebody suggest anything, PLEASE!!!:confounded:

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Bob,
The only advice I can offer is to do what you already seem to do. I always wash the etch in hot soapy water and rinse well. Then with the tip of a sharp blade try and scratch both the etch and the point on the kit to give a good key. Then only use a tiny amount, the more CA you use the less likely it is to stick. If you need to re glue it always remove the old CA as it will not stick to itself. When it is in place wick a small amount of CA around the joint. Any excess can be scraped away when it is dry. Finally always use a good quality CA, and keep it in the fridge when not in use this will help it's shelf life. HTH

therapy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
I can't help Bob, but sorry to hear it especially as it was starting to look so good. I'll happily pick up any tips that are forthcoming.

Nick

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Bob,
The only advice I can offer is to do what you already seem to do. I always wash the etch in hot soapy water and rinse well. Then with the tip of a sharp blade try and scratch both the etch and the point on the kit to give a good key. Then only use a tiny amount, the more CA you use the less likely it is to stick. If you need to re glue it always remove the old CA as it will not stick to itself. When it is in place wick a small amount of CA around the joint. Any excess can be scraped away when it is dry. Finally always use a good quality CA, and keep it in the fridge when not in use this will help it's shelf life. HTH
Thanks Paul, much appreciated

I have some spare bit so wil have to practice and then some more!!

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I find that CA can sometimes be brittle when applied in a small amount. I've often wondered if using a grab adhesive such as Evostik or No-Nonsense would do a better job.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I find that CA can sometimes be brittle when applied in a small amount. I've often wondered if using a grab adhesive such as Evostik or No-Nonsense would do a better job.
Hi Al, well i hope

Never tried white glue, think its pva?

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Yes PVA is white glue.

I was more on about the instant grab adhesives that Evostik and No-Nonsense make. You can also get the two-part glues that dry rock hard.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Bob
Clean things as you're doing. Fix the part with Gator Grip Acrylic Hobby Glue. It gives wriggle time and as it's water based any excess can be cleaned up with a damp brush. Sometimes that is enough. If in doubt wick thin CA into the join. Have a look at THIS
Jim

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Bobby baby! Stay cool my friend its only a bit of metal. :smiling5: :cool: :thumb2:

We have all been there and it still happens to the best of us. There are times when you are sitting there for what seems an eternity with two bits of metal glued together between your fingers and when you are brave enough to see if it has stuck the two unstuck parts fall to the bench but your fingers are welded together.;)

There is no answer my friend. You are doing all the right things. There are times when I will stick the part together and just leave it until the next day. Dont touch it, dont look at it - just leave it to dry.

Now you are trying to glue on your skirt brackets which have a very small area to stick and the heaviness of the PE will easily pull it off. So I'm afraid its a matter of patience and do each glue point one at a time over a period of time allowing each glue point to dry thoroughly. If you overload the glue in this situation it will take too long to dry. You need some instant drying CA or use an old pot of CA. It is infuriating and your swear box will fill up rapidly, but it will look the DB's once done.

Wait until you have finally got it all fixed in place and then knock it off during the painting process!!:smiling5::smiling5::smiling5: Dont you just luv this modelling lark:cool::thumb2:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Five minute epoxy will do it, but you may need to find a way to hold the part in place while it dries.....blue tac works for this. If you do go this way, prepare several parts so you can minimise glue wastage.

First Name
Andy
I tend to use Zap medium superglue as it takes a few seconds to go off giving time for any SLIGHT adjustments. Then again, sometimes it will fall off and you have to start over, joys of the hobby. :smiling5:

Andy.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Have you tried cleaning the PE with IPA or other alcohol thinners.
CA is quite brittle and very small parts are easy to knock off.
I fight with the tiny bits as well. Gorilla grip is good for larger parts that are self supporting but the 'long' dry time make it difficult to use for things that need to be held in place.
Best advice ships rails are a good example; get them formed to as close as you can place them and dot each contact point with the ca.
POLYETHYLENE plastic tube can be heated and stretched to make effective and cheap nozzles for glue bottles
. Bonus ca does not stick to well to polyethylene.

gothicgeek

SMF Supporter
First Name
mark
Try using black super glue ( it's slightly flexible ) or thick CA and use an accelerator, if theres too much glue after its set, use a debonder to clean up the area

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Bob, I recently had to use some Gator glue for the Samovar on the shadow box. Now I know its hard to find, but you take some normal pva and leave it in an open bottle top, just enough say a large drop. Leave this in the open air , it will soon start to harden, once this has happened a tooth pick end amount will help hold the part in place. Once its taken wick some CA with a piece of thin wire into the joint.
Also turn the section onto its side if possible , so the part doesn't fall off.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
WOW, thank you all gents:thumb2:

All the hard earned advice, sweat, swearing and jumping out of windows is greatly appricated. Lots to think over, must get more headache tabs, coffee and a loaded gun:upside:

Now if i can help with boring StuG stuff, just light up the searchlight and beam a StuG F8 in the sky ( like good old Batman ) really must get a life

Cheers all bob

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Best you find stock of it and buy it. The owner is stopping making it so it'll become harder to find.
Yes Alan you're right. When I heard the news I found a shop in Germany which had some. I've now got a decent stock. I like the sound of John's idea for using PVA.
Jim

Reactions: JR

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Got loads of pva, will try that idea!