NEW Airfix 1/24 Spitfire IX.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
This is a virtual walkaround of said kit. There is a build thread here:

The kit is completed in one of the options provided. It is EN398, as flown by Flight Lieutenant Ian Keltie of No. 402 'City of Winnipeg' Squadron in February/March 1943.

PFQ.jpg

Port.jpg

PRQ.jpg

SFQ.jpgStarboard.jpg

SRQ.jpg

Lovely kit, recommended if you really need to fill up some shelf space!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Superb build steve , flawlessly finished , perfectly photographed and if ever Airfix wanted a testimony to how nice the kit builds up then here it is . Top effort that man , cheers tony

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Can only echo what Tony has said Steve. A really top finish!

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Lovely model and nicely presented! Were the squadron codes really applied over the serial number though?
Pete

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Lovely model and nicely presented! Were the squadron codes really applied over the serial number though?
Pete
Yep. The serial number was applied by the manufacturer, along with national markings etc. The codes were applied at the squadron. I wish they weren't. It was a b*gger slicing up the decal to fit as if under the letters I'd already sprayed :smiling3:

When this aircraft was re-coded as JE-J, when Johnson acquired it as his personal aircraft, the serial number was re-applied in much smaller letters and in the 'wrong' position. A Wing Commander could get away with it.

JEJ.jpg

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Thanks Steve, I was sure there was a reason!
Pete

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
The Committee here at Race Towers have awarded you
download THE DOGS.jpg

Congratulations. Steve.

Saw the Hornby tv programme last night . They showed this in the design stage and the first one to be built before production.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Wow, beautiful finish Steve and quick too!!! I bet it takes up some shelf space, doesn't it. Top work Sir!!!

As I'm no wingy expert, I do notice the landing gear are rather closely spaced together. I understand they needed structural rigidity of the fuselage, but wouldn't that make the plane tipsy and prone to accidents, when landing?

Prost
Allen

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I do notice the landing gear are rather closely spaced together. I understand they needed structural rigidity of the fuselage, but wouldn't that make the plane tipsy and prone to accidents, when landing?
You are not wrong. The track of the landing gear of the Spitfire is actually slightly less than the infamous undercarriage of the Bf 109. It's geometry is, however, much better because it attached to the main spar of the wing rather than a fuselage truss, which is why the Bf 109's splays out and has horrible geometry at the axles. It's this geometry, the angle of the struts, the angle of the axles and the toe of the wheels that made the Bf 109s ground handling so problematic.

The undercarriage of the Spitfire was designed for grass aerodromes, where the aircraft could always land into the wind and make 'wheeler' landings, that is alighting on the main gear with the legs more or less vertical and decelerating across the field, lowering the tail. It was pretty good for this and the benign handling of the Spitfire at low speeds, thanks to its wonderful wing, made accidents relatively rare, at least until the massively overpowered later Marks. It's why Spitfires today land on grass whenever possible.

Of course when the Spitfire became a Seafire and was required to slam into a deck in a three point landing virtually stalled, the legs of the main gear were at an angle due to the forward rake, meaning the loads were no longer perpendicular to the spar but instead imparted a twisting moment which would rip the strut attachments from the spar, collapsing the undercarriage...not good!

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
You are not wrong. The track of the landing gear of the Spitfire is actually slightly less than the infamous undercarriage of the Bf 109. It's geometry is, however, much better because it attached to the main spar of the wing rather than a fuselage truss, which is why the Bf 109's splays out and has horrible geometry at the axles. It's this geometry, the angle of the struts, the angle of the axles and the toe of the wheels that made the Bf 109s ground handling so problematic.

The undercarriage of the Spitfire was designed for grass aerodromes, where the aircraft could always land into the wind and make 'wheeler' landings, that is alighting on the main gear with the legs more or less vertical and decelerating across the field, lowering the tail. It was pretty good for this and the benign handling of the Spitfire at low speeds, thanks to its wonderful wing, made accidents relatively rare, at least until the massively overpowered later Marks. It's why Spitfires today land on grass whenever possible.

Of course when the Spitfire became a Seafire and was required to slam into a deck in a three point landing virtually stalled, the legs of the main gear were at an angle due to the forward rake, meaning the loads were no longer perpendicular to the spar but instead imparted a twisting moment which would rip the strut attachments from the spar, collapsing the undercarriage...not good!
As ever, thanks for the interesting background Steve. Have you ever thought writing a book given your Encyclopedic knowledge? And I am being serious!

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Lovely build and an interesting insight on the undercarriage

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Steve,
That is a beautiful finish mate.
Thanks...trying to make plastic look like painted metal :smiling3:

It is also the first time I have used MRP paints and I was impressed with the results (after a bit of an initial struggle). I'll be using them again.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
That's very impressive now I can see the pictures on a decent sized screen.

As a coincidence I was watching Hornby: A Model World last night and the episode featured the research & design that went into this kit. Interesting to see the lead designer drawing lines on a screen and measuring pipes in the engine bay one day, then be greated by a brilliantly finished model the next.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
That's a superb model Steve and also superbly photographed.

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
A beautiful build Steve, you've really made a cracker of a kit here, well done on the dogs,