New at airbrushing just need abit of help

G

Gerbzilla

Whats the % of mix with matt white and white spirit please can anyone help within the next couple of hrs as I want to spray my JU 87 ITALERI kit.

Plus any hints from anyone would be a great help as I have started building model kits after so many years Have done a lancaster and hurricane just now have started a spiitfire PRXIX and a JU 87. Realy want to get good at it as I can build my fave plane of all the mosquito 1.24 scale AIRFIX so realy need to get better at it so any help would be grateful

Many thanks Aaron

D

dubster72

Hi Aaron

The usual rule of thumb for airbrushing is to thin the paint until it's the consistency of skimmed milk. I usually do a 50/50 mix which works well in my AB.

What AB & paints are you using?

PAtrick

G

Gerbzilla

\ said:
Hi AaronThe usual rule of thumb for airbrushing is to thin the paint until it's the consistency of skimmed milk. I usually do a 50/50 mix which works well in my AB.

What AB & paints are you using?

I using Revell Enamel paint ? Like I said 1st time using this

Last edited:
D

dubster72

yeah so if you go with a 50/50 mix or even 40/60 (paint/thinner) it should come out ok but test it first on some scrap. I use old milk jugs coz they're plastic so you see a better effect than test-spraying on cardboard or paper.

another tip is to start & finish each sweep of the AB away from the model-don't trigger the AB while pointing directly at the model coz that way you'll avoid any splatters. also make sure the paint is really well stirred, both before and after you add the thinner (white spirit). give it at least 10 minutes or invest in an electric mixer. I did, it cost about £6 and its the best thing I've ever bought!

Patrick

K

kev67

My best tip is stay away from enamel paints when spraying, and stick with acrylics, for one they are a less health hazard as acrylics can be mixed with water, therefore can be cleaned easier by just using hot water, the only draw back is acrylics dry quicker and can clog the brush, but as they dry quicker you are able to put more coats on the model. I usually do 50/50 mix. I still use a mask, I am in the process of building a paint booth......as they say your health should come first.

Also best tip.........practice makes perfect

G

Gerbzilla

Thanks cheers for the help and hints will invest in a mixer soon once again thanks..

G

Gerbzilla

\ said:
My best tip is stay away from enamel paints when spraying, and stick with acrylics, for one they are a less health hazard as acrylics can be mixed with water, therefore can be cleaned easier by just using hot water, the only draw back is acrylics dry quicker and can clog the brush, but as they dry quicker you are able to put more coats on the model. I usually do 50/50 mix. I still use a mask, I am in the process of building a paint booth......as they say your health should come first.Also best tip.........practice makes perfect
Thanks again for the hint and yes practise does make thing perfect..

G

Gerbzilla

\ said:
yeah so if you go with a 50/50 mix or even 40/60 (paint/thinner) it should come out ok but test it first on some scrap. I use old milk jugs coz they're plastic so you see a better effect than test-spraying on cardboard or paper.another tip is to start & finish each sweep of the AB away from the model-don't trigger the AB while pointing directly at the model coz that way you'll avoid any splatters. also make sure the paint is really well stirred, both before and after you add the thinner (white spirit). give it at least 10 minutes or invest in an electric mixer. I did, it cost about £6 and its the best thing I've ever bought!

Patrick
Thanks again will invest in a mixer..

S

Spyderman_uk

\ said:
My best tip is stay away from enamel paints when spraying, and stick with acrylics, for one they are a less health hazard as acrylics can be mixed with water, therefore can be cleaned easier by just using hot water, the only draw back is acrylics dry quicker and can clog the brush, but as they dry quicker you are able to put more coats on the model. I usually do 50/50 mix. I still use a mask, I am in the process of building a paint booth......as they say your health should come first.Also best tip.........practice makes perfect
I disagree with this comment as it is not the solvent that causes the health hazard. It is the pigments and binding agent. Enamel thinners dry much slower so are less of a hazard anyway, unless you stand over your models sniffing it! Lol!

This is especially true when using aerosol cans. Give me cellulose any day!Lol!

Acrylic pigments are generally less dense, so are a little more difficult to spray.

Enamels cover better.

Try each and make your own mind up.

The mask is a good idea and a booth even better.

D

dubster72

I have to agree with the masked man! The idea that acrylics are less hazardous to one's health because they're water-soluble is misleading at best & dangerous at worst. Especially Tamiya acrylics because although people do thin & clean them with water (I wouldn't myself!), their actual composition is being alcohol based & NOT water-based.

If you use a mask, spray in a well-ventilated area & just use common sense, then the question of what to spray is really down to personal choice regarding how good the finish looks on your chosen model.

Patrick

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Correct you are. I have chosen to spray acrylic because they smell a lot less as do the clean up reagents. Just 'cos you can't smell something doesn't mean it ain't there. Ask any canary down a coal mine.

Steve

G

Gerbzilla

Thanks for the help. Will try both and see what I think but I was going to use a mask anyhow just to be on the safe side ..

Cheers again

K

kev67

\ said:
Thanks for the help. Will try both and see what I think but I was going to use a mask anyhow just to be on the safe side ..Cheers again
Also make sure you buy a good quality mask with the right filter for spraying and not a cheap one you often see on ebay.

G

Gerbzilla

\ said:
Also make sure you buy a good quality mask with the right filter for spraying and not a cheap one you often see on ebay.
Its ok I still have a few good ones from my old work place so I be using those for a while..

Thanks again for all the help