New member just starting back

oofafoo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi all,
I'm Steve and have just joined your forum. As a youth, like probably most of you, I spent many hours building cheap Airfix models, banging them together as quickly as I could, inpatient to see the fruits of my labour only to be disappointed. Well, as I'm much, much older and supposedly wiser, I'm giving it another go! I've been hanging around various Youtuber's getting geared up (mentally) to tackle my first project. I've no idea what but will hopefully get some ideas from this forum. I also need to start from scratch with tools, paints etc.
I do have an Iwata airbrush which I'll be selling to part fund my start as I want to buy a gravity fed one (mine is syphon).
So, hope to really get into my new hobby and will be pulling on your experiences over the coming months and years.
Cheers
Steve (aka OoFafoO)

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
A warm welcome Steve. I look forward to seeing your build, whatever it is. You will only get polite, helpful encouragement here.

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
Welcome to the forum allsorts of modelers here never be shy to ask and questions you might get a sensible answer all like most of us completely crackers but enjoy your time here

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
..... and it's a warm welcome from me too Steve....
.... I look forward to seeing you around the parish :thumb2: .

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Some of us are completely past any help, your more than welcome to join us, no questions is considered silly as I have asked most of them .:smiling3:

Niho

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
Hi and welcome back to the hobby Steve, ask away on any level we are here to encourage and help 'no question is a silly question' mantra
Most of all enjoy your time in our madhaus
Niho

First Name
Andrea
A warm welcome from me too, Steve.
Many of us belong to the "returnees" group, so you have probably been struck by the impressive evolution made by the technical side of the hobby; what has remained unchanged is the fun and that's what's more important. :smiling:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Are you sure you're in the right place Steve...there are some wacky fellas here who cut themselve, squint at tiny things and glue their fingers together all for fun.
You're a brave man...welcome.

Cheers,
Richard aka Wabble

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
A very belated welcome!

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Welcome, Steve you'll find plenty of encouragement here..........................
As a first project- it must be something that interests you - don't shoot too high, some of the latest models are difficult for expert modellers! - think of where you are going to build it, no use making a 1/200 Titanic on a tea tray & where you can display it when finished. - Don't be in a rush to buy fancy tools!, you don't need an airbrush ( yet ) - good knife, sanding sticks, sprue cutters , tweezers & a few brushes, add cement, and paint to suit the model you're making - the basics! As you go on you'll add things as needed ( filler, clamps etc ) - before buying, do research, know what you are letting yourself in for - Shop around, the differences in prices can be substantial ( don't forget the 5% discount in the Scale Model Shop Shop! ). - Don't be afraid to ask questions, the forum members have hundreds of years of experience combined.
MOST importantly. enjoy your modelmaking, it's your model, no pressures, no deadlines, no stress....................
Dave