New nippers

davecov

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I love these nippers but they are very delicate and I am now on my third pair. Twice, due to my incompetence, I forgot to change from these nippers to cheap nasty ones for some tough cutting and snapped the left-hand blades on both. The broken ones still work but are not much good for more precise nipping.

Dave

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I have five. Hard metal, soft metal, PE shears, plastic, & very fine sprue nippers.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Think Bob did a review on these some time back .

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
He did John. I bought some off the back of it. They are absolutely superb! Light years better than the Xurons I was using before…..

First Name
Andy
I bought a set of them a while ago and they are the best I have ever had.

Andy.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
They are very good. Just don't use them for cutting Sprue. I too have chipped a pair! For clipping the parts off they are the bees knees.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I must admit, I use my Xurons for initial part removal then clean up the cut with the DSPIAE cutters. I never use them to clip parts off the sprue in the first place. I try to avoid using the tips as much as possible as well. Remember they use a completely different single edged cutting action to the wire cutter types we are all used to, so have a much more delicate blade.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
I must admit, I use my Xurons for initial part removal then clean up the cut with the DSPIAE cutters. I never use them to clip parts off the sprue in the first place. I try to avoid using the tips as much as possible as well. Remember they use a completely different single edged cutting action to the wire cutter types we are all used to, so have a much more delicate blade.
That's how I do it..... Anything vaguely 'chunky' gets attached with the Xurons.

Del640

SMF Supporter
First Name
Del
What are they? Can't see the make..

Cancel that, worked it out.

Last edited:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Sounds like they are not properly heat treated....... I've been using the same set of Xurons for close to forty years, only had to resharpen 'em a few times, but they are perfectly aligned and I don't have to baby 'em..... just saying ;)

Bri62

SMF Supporter
First Name
Brian
I have a set of Xurons and to be honest they wouldn't cut it (pun not intended )with my current build I would destroy more small pipes than I would like, and I wouldn't say I have to baby them just treat them with respect :smiling3:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I have a set of Xurons and to be honest they wouldn't cut it (pun not intended )with my current build I would destroy more small pipes than I would like, and I wouldn't say I have to baby them just treat them with respect :smiling3:
Sounds like they are not properly heat treated....... I've been using the same set of Xurons for close to forty years, only had to resharpen 'em a few times, but they are perfectly aligned and I don't have to baby 'em..... just saying ;)
You can’t compare them Rick. I have both and it’s like comparing apples and oranges.
Xurons are like wire cutters, with strong obtuse angled blades that squeeze through the plastic from both sides when cutting, like using a fine cold chisel.
DSPIAE cutters, on the other hand, have one very sharp acute angled cutter blade that pretty much shave off the part, cutting from one side only. It feels much like using a scalpel in a scissor handle. The other “blade” is actually a square edged stop that holds the cutter to the sprue while in use. It’s the sharpness and fineness that makes the blade slightly fragile unless you take care. I would estimate that I save at least an hours tedious clean up time per kit using them, probably much more if there are a lot of small fine parts.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I have a couple of Tamiya sprue cutters which I find very good. I have a pair of rather cheap cutters which I use for "heavy duty" cutting. I also use a razor saw if the sprue attachment is particularly thick.

PsiFox

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
I have the larger PE bend tool which is great. Shall be using it a lot I have about 26 triangular square profile pieces to create for the flaps down position my current build will have. Fortunately it’s 1/32, I would not consider it in 1/72.
one of the ammo chutes had four folds on one section iin less than 2mm and one was a reverse fold back on itself.
I have the Tamiya pe bend pliers for simpler folds and to hold if I need to sand a edge.