New to modelling, need advice

• Thread starter angrya$$drummer
  • Start date
First Name
Aaron
Just a tip for tamiya acrylics...they need tamiya x20a thinner not water. I got caught up with trying to use water to thin them. Vallejo acrylics are fine with water.

A

angrya$$drummer

do i need that thinner before i can use them at all? wished the hobby guy said something today when i was there

picked up 5 more colours (

and got an Airfix King Tiger tank. wanted to get a few things, but i need to take things slow. i get carried away when im into something. my partner wont be so happy with my hobby if i start spending money left right and centre lol

First Name
Aaron
You can paint it neat but it may obscure some details and show brush strokes. More thin coats instead of one heavy coat is a really good habit to get into for a better finish. Its a good idea to practice a little,maybe on a spare piece.

First Name
Aaron
Just go for it mate, if you run into any problems, people here are really helpful.

A

angrya$$drummer

i can see it now actually, the paint looks "cloggy" in some spots. obviously my technique is pretty unrefined lol but yeah tomorrow back to the hobby store for some tamiya thinner

T

tecdes

\ said:
i can see it now actually, the paint looks "cloggy" in some spots. obviously my technique is pretty unrefined lol but yeah tomorrow back to the hobby store for some tamiya thinner
Not used Tamiy acrylics so I do not have personal experience.

What I have read on this forum & from others that hand brushing Tamiya acrylics is not easy. This I have read from seasoned model makers. Others say you can get a superb finish. Others here will give more information.

I started with Humbrol enamel & near gave up model making. Then went to Vallejo acrylics & it took off as it is so easy to use.

Laurie

A

angrya$$drummer

The 2 hobby stores closest to only stock Tamiya paint due to also selling remote controls. There is a much bigger store a little bit further away that has about 10 times more models, so I might go there on Saturday see what other paints/brushes/models they have. I might stick with tamiya for the time being just because of the ease to buy. Ill just need to practice my painting a lot more. Try some new brushes too.

I can say though, apart from really struggling with small pieces due to my Neanderthal hands, I'm really enjoying modelling!

T

tecdes

If you put Tamiya paint into your serch browser you will get a mass of info about it.

Laurie

Not got your name yet mate :emo12:

T

tecdes

O yes we have ! Looked at your earlier post.

Best to use profile & inset your christian name it will come up in the info on you replies.

Laurie

Z

Ziper_it

To thin Tamiya and Gunze, both laquier, you can use isopropyl alcohol (or even denaturate alcohol which is anyway better than water).

Regards,

Francesco

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I only brush paint my models and this is just my (far too many years!) experience with acrylics.....

I found with Tamiya acrylics, no matter what I thinned them with, were as good as useless for brushwork. I ended up slinging them.

I have also tried other makes....

After a lot of trial and error, I only use Vallejo Model Colour acrylics (I also use children's cheapo paints too) and have done for ages. Vallejo paints are easily thinned with water and produce the results I require.....These are my findings when using these paints with a brush. I'm sure folks will have their own thoughts.

If you can get hold of Vallejo paints I do urge you to try them. They are so easy to use, but please thin them with whatever you decide is best.....As has been pointed out, numerous thin coats are better than a couple of thick ones.

Ron

T

tecdes

Aaron

These are the places listed by Vallejo in Australia. Even if you cannot reach (380 miles) I bet they have on line facilities.

Model Paints

• FX DISTRIBUTORS APR. LTD.
    300, Port road
    Hindmarsh
    South Australia 5007
    Phone: +61 883 46 1900
    Fax: +61 883 46 1900
    fxdistributors@bigpond.com
  • HOBBIES AUSTRALIA
    2 Crown Street
    Newcastle NSW 2300
    Australia
    Phone: 02 4927 5810
    Fax: 02 4929 1255
    Hobbies Australia - Home
    sales@hobbiesaustralia.com.au
    Laurie

First Name
Aaron
BNA is also a good online shop for aussies. I like bna weekly deals they carry a full line of vallejo and ak etc

A

angrya$$drummer

ill check out Hobbyone on saturday for paints. they have a much much larger section of models ( where i go now is literally a toy store, but its close)

if they have those paints ill grab a few of them

so, from researching, i gather you cant mix paint brands? just stick to one brand right?

First Name
Aaron
I mix vallejo with cheap liquitex acrylic with no problem. Ive never mixed tamiya acrylics with other brands.You can however use other brands over well cured paint.

A

angrya$$drummer

ah thats good, just bought 5 Tamiya paints yesterday, dont want them to go to waste

definitely learning by trial and error, so im glad i got a $10 Airfix first up ( and a $15 Airfix tank next) over the $100 ones that were really grabbing my eye hahaah

one of the propellers broke last night when a gust of wind blew it off my desk. took ages to glue it back in cause its so small and i could barely hold it, then when id take my fingers off ( they were sticky) it would pull it off the plane again...frustrating lol but seems alright now.

Painting..well i know i need new brushes. bought a pack of 4 with the Yak, but they arent working well for me. especially the smaller brushes. on saturday at the bigger hobby store ill look for better quality ones.

think i should get some tooth picks too, to help add the cement/glue as im making a mess.

the one thing i noticed though is how time flies while in the process

with the King Tiger tank i think ill try painting before assembly, see how i go that way

First Name
Aaron
Tweezers are helpful for holding those small parts till the cement dries also tamiya thin cement is awesome stuff which has a small brush attached to help avoid sticky fingers.It is thin enough that you can put two pieces together then touch the join with the cement brush and capillary action will join the two pieces.When i first started modelling i used the thick gel cements and use to make a terrible mess.