New to modelling, which paint/tools to use

E

ethranes

Hi, I've decided to take up modelling tanks as a hobby. The first one that I've bought is;

https://www.wonderlandmodels.com/products/emhar-135-mark-iv-wwi-tank-female/

Thought I'd start from the beginning. I didn't really think much else through though and am looking for advice.

1. I have no idea what colour pains that I should use for this model, perhaps it will say on the box, but is there anywhere that I can find out or any that you suggest so that I can get starting.

2. What tools will I need. As it stands I have paint brushes and have bought some glue from the same website, is there anything else that a beginner making his first model will need.

Thank you for any help and advice, let me know if you have any questions about my post. Sorry if this is in the wrong section!

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
First of all welcome to the forum as for paints a lot of other people can help you there as for tools here's what I use a good knife cutters twezzers sanding boards and tamiya masking tape of various sizes.
Peter t

First Name
colin
Hi Nathan welcome to the forum
If you check the instructions in the box it should tell you what colours you need. I've never built a emhar kit so I'm unsure what paint manufacturer they reccomend but I'm sure someone on the forum will be able to steer you in the right direction.
As for tools you will need a good craft knife, tweezers,sprue cutters and a small flat file will get you started

james pithouse

Models are fun just ask kpnuts
First Name
James
if it is a tamiya model use tamiya paint but any paint will do as the instructions will tell you the colours you need near the front, you will also need a modeling knife, a small set off files for filing some parts in case they do not fit, model glue, like contact professional for plastic and one for clear, micro sol and micro set for decails, blue microset first then red microsol second let the blue dry first then red to seal in place then some modelers use varnish over the whole off the models as well, just ask any one they will help out a lot, they do with me when i'm stuck. that's all i can think off at the moment Nathan Welcome to the forum by the way

D

Deleted member 4203

Hi Nathan, welcome to the forum! :D

The required paint colours might be directed on the model's instructions but I've never built an Emhar model so it might be on the box. Personally I recommend using Tamiya acrylic paints because they are easy to get off the brush and mix well as they aren't too thick. However, I've heard that brush painting with Tamiya acrylics can be a little bit difficult but I've never had an issue with them myself.

On the topic of tools, I always use brushes as I find them really easy to control. On the other hand some people like to invest in a compressor and an airbrush as it gives a nice, even, streak-free finish to the model (but I'd imagine this would cost quite a bit and I wouldn't know which brand to recommend). Tweezers are a fantastic tool and really help with getting very small components into their place on the model. Sprue cutters provide a clean cut when cutting parts off the sprues for the model. Liquid poly cement is handy for gluing together the model. A good file is an excellent thing to have for sanding down any badly-fitting pieces or imperfections, and some sort of masking tape can cover up spots you want to keep paint-free such as window pieces or parts of camouflage.

That should get you started and will hopefully help you a lot along the way ;)

Blair

E

ethranes

Thank you all, I'll wait to see what colours it recommends on the box and will look into getting some of the tools mentioned.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Nathan
First of all, welcome to the forum!
Just as a 'heads up' various companies do modelling starter tool kits. As you are new to this, this may be a very good way to get started (I know Revell do a version).
You should also check out the Scale Model Shop as everything you need will be found there.
A minimalist kit will include:-

Sprue cutters
Small flat file
Craft knife (or better still scalpel and blades)
Cutting matt
Sanding sticks
Tweezers
Liquid cement
Super glue (for some applications)

Brushes
and, of course... paint!

All the above can be found in the forum shop.

Wishing you many hours of modelling happiness! And please share your experiences, good or bad! It's all a learning curve and this process never stops.

All the best
Paul

First Name
Gwyn
Some very good advise from other members that should get you started in enjoying modelling, also welcome to the forum, that is a good decision on your part. we look forward to seeing your work.