No Retreat. East Prussia January 1945...Completed.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thank you to those who followed the building of this diorama. I really enjoyed the comments.

The main ingredients are a floor tile, the Tamiya Pak 40 anti tank gun and crew, cardboard, tile adhesive, scrap balsa, moss and small stones from the garden and white emulsion paint from the shed!

The remodelling of the figures was something I had never attempted before, but although difficult it was an interesting challenge. When I was 'playing around' with the figures I happened to put the two soldiers side by side and they looked like they were having a discussion, they looked kinda right so I left them to it!

The bloke by the gun I have tried to put in a sort of "Will you two shut up!" sort of pose.

I hope you will excuse the slight deviation from the rules, but I couldn't resist adding the stretcher party from my 'Bring him in' dio. for a couple of shots.

Also, to my eternal shame I forgot the bucket in most of the shots, sorry!!! lol

The Pak40 crew, trapped in the East Prussia pocket wait for the Russian Army to appear. What does the common soldier think of at times like this, knowing in a few days, or even hours, he will probably meet a violent end?

I hope you approve of this offering as much as I enjoyed making it.

Thank you,

Ron

View attachment 26578

View attachment 26579

View attachment 26580

View attachment 26581

View attachment 26582

View attachment 26583

View attachment 26584

View attachment 26585

View attachment 26586

View attachment 26587

View attachment 26588

View attachment 26589

View attachment 26590

View attachment 26591

NO RETREAT 093.jpg

NO RETREAT 115.jpg

NO RETREAT 081.jpg

NO RETREAT 065.jpg

NO RETREAT 085.jpg

NO RETREAT 066.jpg

NO RETREAT 087.jpg

NO RETREAT 096.jpg

NO RETREAT 098.jpg

NO RETREAT 110.jpg

NO RETREAT 105.jpg

NO RETREAT 075.jpg

NO RETREAT 117.jpg

NO RETREAT 091.jpg

F

Fenlander

Nice one as always Ron, I do like the little Russian snowman lol. It does carry that air of inevitability about it. We can only imagine (thankfully) what did go through these guys minds as they waited for a change of heart that would allow them to go home, a shell burt to oblivion or to go to sleep and never wake up from the cold. And, my word, does your diorama look cold. Great work my friend.

C

Caledonia

Hi Ron, Brrrrrrrrrr gives me frostbite just looking at it, reminds me of our last winter. Absolutely superb 5 star from me Cheers Derek

D

dm73

It looks like a very cold and lonely place to be with the Russian onslaught edging towards them, awesome dio, hopefully one day i can start producing pieces like this

Darren

G

Gomer Pyle

Brilliant dio, Ron! very convincing winter landscape. I absolutely love the postures of the two guys having a discussion, quite vivid actually. The wide B/W shot taken from the front of the gun with the sheet in the background looking like hills and small mountains, is just really lifelike.

/Daniel

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
I'm cold now, nice touch with the snowman. Cracking build Ron, five from me mate.

Have fun, John

N

noble

Top notch Ron you get five from me too nice simple idea beautifully constructed and layed out.

scott

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well thats got me shivering!

Great dio Ron. Good choice and well executed.

Ian M

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks very much guys for the Big 5 and the great comments, makes very nice reading.

I've just had a look at the pictures again and I'm not too happy with some and others are a bit blurred....

Question? Can I remove some from the thread and replace with different images?

Nothing complicated, as I don't like, or know much about computers.

Thanks,

Ron

F

Fenlander

Course you can Ron, but don't delete pics just post some more. There are no bad ones, OK, some are a bit blurry but so what, it is a modelling forum not a photography one. I would be more than happy to see more pics of it.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Course you can Ron, but don't delete pics just post some more. There are no bad ones, OK, some are a bit blurry but so what, it is a modelling forum not a photography one. I would be more than happy to see more pics of it.
Sorry Graham, I didn't phrase my post correctly.

Point is, being a computer thicko I don't know how to erase the images once posted!

I take your point about it not being a photography forum but we all still like to produce the best we can, whatever the medium and a couple of the images just don't please me and there is a bit of repetition creeping in... Christ, this is starting to sound pompous, but I hope you get my drift good buddy!

Ron

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi Ron,

Another little gem of a dio! I don't know how you consistently manage to tell such wonderful little stories. ***** from me.

An' before you ask - NO they're not kisses! If you want kisses go talk to your missus or your bouncy nurse.

Gern

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
This I like a lot! You've really captured the atmosphere of the moment. Well done on those figures too. I don't know how to delete attachments but I won't complain if you stick a few more up anyway.

Where's me gloves!!

Cheers

Steve

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Ron

Great looking dio that certainly conveys the extreme Russian winter weather.

Paul

F

Fenlander

Double click the edit button at the bottom of your post Ron. Then scroll down to see the list of pics with a button 'Manage Attachments' above it. Same as when you add them in really. Click on the Manage Attachments and you should be able to delete and add more from there (I think) Must dash off for work so I don't have time to try it and give any better detail. Sure you will work it out from there though, if not I will have a look when I get home.

J

JFJ

Nice work Ron Love it! 6 stars (if there's such a thing):razz:

Also, could I know the dimensions of the model? I'm thinking of getting one myself and I need to make a base of the correct size!

The snowman was a nice touch!

Adrian

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Nice work Ron Love it! 6 stars (if there's such a thing):razz:Also, could I know the dimensions of the model? I'm thinking of getting one myself and I need to make a base of the correct size!

The snowman was a nice touch!

Adrian
Thanks to all for the nice comments, I really appreciate them...

Adrian, the base is an old ceramic floor tile and measures 300mm square. I'm glad you like the snowman.

Confession time. As some may have sussed, I nicked the snowman and oil drum from my "Anyone got a match?" dio. I took off his German forage cap and replaced it with a Russian helmet!...sorry folks! (not really lol)

Cheers,

Ron

R

rogue-one

this is great ron. the figures are super and i do love the snowman touch.