North Africa dioramma photos

P

Paul1978

Stunning piece of work. Really amazing and it looks REAL! And what i really like is how you've used bird sand etc to create the effect! I really admire this piece of work!

Paul

N

noble

Thanks Paul i appreciate the comments however the bird sand and bird grit was originally Ron and tony's idea a while back extremely useful modeling gear though worth keeping in a cupboard. Paul thanks again for the very kind comments and i hope you will keep following this to the end, thanks again

Scott

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nicw one Scott. Looking forwards to the next installment. Great palm trees by the way. If you ever get low on cash you could sell those on flee bay and retire!

F

Fenlander

Nothing to add to what has been said other than to totally agree, it just looks superb. Love the subtle tank tracks in the ground. I used to think that it would all be sand in the desert, and I am sure there are places like that out in the dunes. However, I was surprised when I went to Tunisia and had a camel trek out into the desert, the ground is very hard and not the soft sandy place I thought it would be.

When I look at your pics, I can see the place where we stopped for mint tea in the desert and I was humiliated into kissing a camel to amuse the rest of the tourists. I though I might as well go for it and grabbed the camels head and stopped just short of swapping tongues. The crowd cheered but I was embarrassed when the camel later complained. Said it was sick of having to snog the ugly ones......

N

noble

Graham mate don't feel bad i had an ex wife like that who knows i might even have chosen the camel lol. seriously though thanks for the comments guys they spur me on to improve on my modelling technique.

scott

N

noble

Oh graham if it will bring back those sweet camel kissing memories i will try to find one in the apprpriate scale and have a german soilder kiss it lol.

scott

N

noble

North Africa dio stage 4 pics

hi all for those of you who are following this iam now on stage four, in these next few stages i will be dealing with water in the oasis, so the products iam using are XF18 medium blue, XF59 desert yellow, XF52 flat earth and scenic water which is esentially a self leveling resign.

Step 1: i have mixed up flat earth medium blue and a little desert yellow and using my airbrush sprayed the bottom of the oasis, my plan here is to create depth in the water.Now in planning this i have asked people what there idea of an oasis is and most have said clear clean blue water in the desert, the truth is very much different in is slightly bluer in colour but murky at the same time so this is what iam trying to emulate.

Step 2: i have allowed the paint to dry for 3 hours and i have now added my first level of the water, i have allowed 24 hours drying time for this.

Step 3: At the moment i can't do any more to the water until it dries so i have added more vegitation using macramy wool.

The next stage will be spraying the water a light covering of light blue then adding a further layer to produce depth actual as well as simulated, What i will also need todo is trim the vegitationto differing heights to give a more random look.

hope you keep watching.

scott

View attachment 21339

View attachment 21340

View attachment 21341

View attachment 21342

View attachment 21343

North Africa dio stage 4c.jpg

North Africa dio stage 4b.jpg

North Africa dio stage 4d.jpg

North Africa dio stage 4a.jpg

Norht Africa dio stage 3j.jpg

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Looking better with each post Scott.Top marks......Nice idea to randomise the shrub line....wink wink!

Ron

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Can i be the first to have a paddle in that water please, my feel are killing me. This is great Scott, just keeps on getting better.

Have fun, John

D

dubster72

Getting better & better Scott, this may well be my inspiration for my next build! Keep them shrubs trimmed! Patrick

R

Richy C

I can only add what the other guys have said Scott, great work mate , and many thanks for doing a step by step guide of your build its a great way for us new boys to learn and pickup tips

Richy

F

Fenlander

That water looks so realistic. I love getting home from work just to see what revelation is in store for today.

N

noble

Thank you all for your kind comments, there is only two more stages left then it's completed and they all centre on the water so i hope you will all stay tuned to your sets, thanks again.

scott

N

noble

Final stage photos

Hi folk i have now reached the final stage of this diorama build, the first order of business is to mix XF18 and XF23 together add somme thinner and lighly srray the resign that had been left to set overnight, i have left the paint to dry for four hours then added more resign on top of the paint, this must be allowed to dry for 24 hours.

The second job was trimming the tall grass round the oasis, once this is completed i sprayed the grass and the palm tree leaves with a very thin mixture of XF60 dark yellow, you should be able to see subtle highlights on the grass and the leaves, once completed i will leave for 24 hrs to dry. The building of the diorama which iam entitling "after Gazala" is now completed, once it is dry i will attach the vehicles and post the completed diorama tomorrow. all comments welcome.

scott

View attachment 21398

View attachment 21399

View attachment 21400

View attachment 21401

View attachment 21402

View attachment 21403

final stage 6.jpg

final stage 5.jpg

final stage 3.jpg

final stage 4.jpg

final stage 2.jpg

final stage 1.jpg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Scott, this is quite superb, very well done. Simple, uncomplicated but very, very effective.

My congratulations.

Ron

F

Fenlander

You just know that this is going to be good. Really like the water, where do you get that stuff from Scott?

N

noble

Hi Graham the water you can get from your local hobby shop in the model railway accesories, it cost me about a fiver but it has lasted ages. Thanks for all the very kind comments guys i will post the completed dio with armour on the tanks section tomorrow.

scott