North African Build

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Been busy in the weekends being over seared by SWMBO to add shelves to a storage compartment so trips to the hardware store and carpentry tools prepared, my weekend just went up in smoke.

Last night and today however I started on the terracotta urn containers for the mule. Made two from two part putty by first roughly shaping them on a cocktail stick and lathed them with my power drill. Here's what the progress looks like before i do the handles and cover...

N42.jpg

The lathing lets you create beveling around the urn. The unique sharp edge bottom of the urn is basically and Aegean style of pottery which I think could have crossed over the Mediterranean. I can see the practicality of it being dug into the sands to sit up right.

N43.jpg

I really did this on purpose to have two different designs and shape.

N44.jpg

Tested on the mule for scale and fit.

N45.jpg

Then made a slight dip towards the opening. I will then cut the cocktail sticks after I have added the handles and then the covers.

N46.jpg

More later.

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
Urns look great. Poor old mule is complaining that his load is getting rather heavy now.
....... and lathed them with my power drill
I presume you used a full sized drill not a smaller Dremel type?
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Jim, I used my mini drill for the lathe. It had the right amount of speed. I forgot to mention that the putty had to be cured first before lathing. I didn't have anything tho spin slowly to form the soft putty into the urn like real pottery although I would have loved to try.

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
Thanks. What did you used to cut with? Certainly worked a treat.
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Richard
Thanks. What did you used to cut with? Certainly worked a treat.
Jim
The tip of the mini diamond file seen in the 3rd image. You could use a chisel too or sharpened flat mini screw driver.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I used the rounded sanding tool to smoothen the curves. It's that piece in the second and third image.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi, I've done the handles for the urns and they look like two ladies with hands on their hips...

N49.jpg

With the extra putty I made sandal straps and eventually even the soles which I was going to do with plastic strip. They're square at the moment but when cured I will snip them into shape and sand them down.

N47.jpg

I waited until the putty stiffened a little before shaping them around the ankle and feet.

N48.jpg

Now he won't burn his feet...

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Looking very nice Richard, the urns and sandals look great.
Thanks Scottie, his feet were getting burned so it was time for some footwear.

I've added a dagger and beefed up his belt with a bulge and buckle. Might raise detail on the dagger hilt and scabbard later. The extra left over putty was used to make the straps on the rolled stowage.

N52.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Richard some great work there. just been looking up the difference between Donkey and Mule. Liking the new style face mask as well , very on trend :smiling3:

A mule is the offspring of a male donkey (called a jack) and a female horse (called a mare). Mules inherit desirable qualities from both donkeys and horses; from the horse they inherit strength and stamina, and like donkeys, mules are generally patient, sure-footed, intelligent and have an even temper. Mules are sterile but female mules are known to produce milk.
Another piece of useless information for us to take in.:nerd:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks John, would you by any chance know the species found in North Africa as opposed to the ones found in other continents? Or are they all the same.

Cheers,
Richard

Reactions: JR

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
Your mule and his arab owner look really nice. A good little scene developing.
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Jim, I'm thinking of adding a date palm near the well. Will have to make the trunk and the leaves which are different from coconut palms.

Cheers,
Richard

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
I missed all of this Somehow! Just had a read through....some brilliant lathe work on the urns and the modifications to donkey and the 2 legged characters are superb.
Excellent work Richard:cool:

Last edited:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Richard

Got a bit behind on this. Just had a good catch up. As Si said, great work on the urns.

I can already see a great Dio coming together.

Keep up the great work.

ATB.

Andrew

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Si and Andrew,

Missing anything won't be a problem as I build very slow...so far six snails have passed me on the highway. :tears-of-joy: Glad you guys like what's been done so far.

Cheers,
Richard