Novice camera question

First Name
Adrian
Hi all, I'm hoping someone can explain in very basic terms how I go about making sure when I take a picture of my models the entire model stays in focus? To help you explain to me I have a Nikon D5100 I bought at Xmas along with a set of macro lenses for close work, the thing is I cant seem to get the whole model sharp and in focus. Just bear in mind if you try to explain I am a complete dunce with my camera and normally just have it on the auto setting :smiling3: Adrian

W

Waffen Bucks

This may help, have a look at this page Macro Photography, a how-to from Photo.net

S

Stevekir

To get the whole of a subject in focus, where the subject has depth, you can do two things.

One way is to set the size of the lens (its "F number" which goes from about F1.9 (lens aperture wide open) to F32 or so (lens aperture closed to a small diameter). This produces a greater depth of field (=more of the near and far away parts of the subject will be in focus). Your camera has a setting for setting this manually, called "Aperture Priority". This means that you choose this, probably from an menu, (or a selection wheel). This means that when you set it to a certain F-number (the higher the better, say F32), the camera will close the lens to that small size and then set the shutter speed to a relatively long time because the big F-number (=lens aperture is small) lets less light into the camera. You might need to use a stronger light to give the camera the chance to choose a shutter speed high enough for the camera to be held in the hand (say about 1/30 second, 1/60th better to avoid movement). If the camera chooses a slower shutter speed than that you will need a tripod to keep the camera steady.

The other way is to hold the camera about two feet away and set the telephoto to enlarge the image sufficiently in the viewfinder or screen. This usually works because with the camera being further away, the difference in distance between the back of the subject and the front is a smaller proportion of the camera-to-subject distance, so the camera can produce a sharp image for the whole subject. Also, doing it this way gives better perspective. This is because the nearer the camera is to the subject, then (as mentioned above) the difference in distance between the back of the subject and the front is a smaller proportion of the camera-to-subject distance. Anything that is nearer always appears bigger to the eye (and the camera) than something further away (obviously). The greater the difference in distance between the back of the subject and the front, the greater will be this distortion, and models being small, it is often obvious (e.g.., in an aeroplane side-on, the nearest wing can appear too large. When looking at full-sized objects outside (houses, cars etc.) the brain compensates for that but not in a photo. For that reason, professional photographers use a longish lens when doing face-on portraits of women, to prevent the nose appearing enlarged.

In both cases you will need to switch off auto-focussing (in a menu somewhere) and set the focus (by turning the focussing ring on the camera lens) and checking in the viewfinder or screen that all is in focus.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
D

Danny

Hi... You dont say what lens you are using on the D5100. If you let me know I will let you know the exact settings to use. Also, the set of close up lenses you bought are, I assume, screw on lenses. They unfortunatly cause more problems than capture good photographs.

Danny

First Name
Adrian
Thanks for the help all, Danny the lens I am using came with it its a Nikon DX Af-S Nikkor 18-55mm 1:35-5.6G,,,, wells that's what written on the side. The screw on lenses I was told to get just for close in cockpit type shots. Thanks Steve for the info, I'll play about some more and see what I can do. On a side note why the heck can I not use my return key on my key board anymore and the enter key wont work when on this site also anymore?????? Adrian

S

Stevekir

\ said:
On a side note why the heck can I not use my return key on my key board anymore and the enter key wont work when on this site also anymore?????? Adrian
That's odd. Is the fault permanent now, or does it vary from time to time? The only thing that I can think of is that the keyboard is faulty (although the fact that the Enter key fails only on this site argues that key is OK). Have you another keyboard you can borrow?

You could try the old trick known to every computer tech guy: switch your computer off at the wall, wait for 10 seconds, then power up and see if that cures it. It often works (because, I guess) microprocessors tend to get into a muddle. Even my TV and TV recorder crash, needing a switch off then on. I was in hospital for a couple of days last year, in a fancy bed with touch buttons to adjust the angle etc.of the mattress. It crashed and they had to call the tech. guy!!! I hope that our and other countries' nuclear deterrents are more reliable!

First Name
Adrian
Its kinds sorted now, Al_flounder has the same issue, I think its in the settings of the site as all my other forums , pages emails are fine.

Adrian

D

Danny

I was able to play with the nikon 18-55 tonight at my course and interestingly enough it will focus to within 8 inches of a subject and still auto focus.. the photographs were extremely sharp and full of detail at this range...so with that in mind, i would suggest, if your using the screw on lenses on the end of the 18-55, remove them as they could be causing the problem....If that dosnt improve matters use the following settings... With onboard flash use..a 200th of a second shutter speed at F8.00 and use a solid surface or tripod to steady the camera.....Without onboard flash..Set the camera to aperture priority mode and the aperture to F5.6...again its vitally important that you steady the camera and even use the timer to capture the image. It might also be worth experimenting with the zoom to find the lens`s sweet spot of zoom...hope this is helpfull...

Danny