Old Concrete Road

First Name
Charles
I've been working on a diorama for a few of my trucks. I decided I wanted an old truck yard(obviously, its me), where old or almost run down trucks and trailers can be parked. I wanted the old concrete look and miscellaneous objects lying here and there to give more visual interest. So here is the start of this theme I have in my head. I intend on spreading the wall further down the diorama with more concrete and brick work for more added details and visual interest. But this is just to show you all the results of how I made the concrete road.

My methods:

1. I mixed the tile grout very heavily with moderate water to allow for quick drying.

2. I Spread it on the area of the diorama. I used grout (thick consistency). I did this outside, when the sun was out and let the heat dry the surface of the grout. As this dried quickly, it slowly produced the minuscule cracks you see.

3. Even it out with spreader. I used a metal spreader which gives better control and smoothness to the grout.

4. Took a sponge and dabbed certain areas with it. I continued to sponge certain areas to give the grainy patches you see in a few of the photos

5. I used a small spreader to draw over the grout to produce some of the half broken concrete patches; sub-levels, and other small u level, rocky crevices you see..

6. Then I used a black wash and let that dried for a day. Then went over it again with the same black wash. Then let it dried for an hour, then went over it with a brown wash. I will go over it again, to knock back the brown again. Will post the complete diorama when done. Hope this helps those who are probably wondering how I achieved this results.

Last edited:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Thanks for that Charles. It is very effective indeed.

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
As Jim says'Thanks for that Charles', that is most convincing - have added it to my 'Reference' section!
Steve

First Name
Charles
Much appreciated Steve. Hope it helps you in whatever manner.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Great technique Charles, beats buying the AK stuff when it's your own concoction. Thanks for that, I do a similar method but use fine gravel for tar roads.

Cheers,
Wabble

First Name
Charles
Great technique Charles, beats buying the AK stuff when it's your own concoction. Thanks for that, I do a similar method but use fine gravel for tar roads.

Cheers,
Wabble

I try to use what looks good or fits the bill. Especially when these things cost, especially nowadays with everything gone up in prices.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I had to go back and re-read your message more carefully to check that I wasn’t looking at photos of a real bit of concreted ground :smiling3:

First Name
Charles
Thank you very much Andy. Much appreciated.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Cracking work Charles!

It's nice to read there are other folks who use their own methods rather than buy the expensive, pre-made stuff, which sometimes might not be quite as good as 'Home Brew'! ;)

Thanks for posting.

Ron

Last edited:
First Name
Charles
Cracking work Charles!

It's nice to read there are other folks who use their own methods rather than buy the expensive, pre-made stuff, which sometimes might not be quite as good as 'Home Brew'! ;)

Thanks for posting.

Ron
Thank very much Ron. Appreciate the feedback.
Excellent result Charles, very believable.

Thanks a lot.