Old decal removal

T

twincamtim

Hi.

Just coming back to modelling after about 40 odd years (!) and amazed at all the modern stuff today.

I have some old models from the early 70's which I want to refurbish and the first job is removing the crappy old decals - how do I go about doing this?

Any tips would be really useful.

Thanks.

:cool:

First Name
Michael
Hi, welcome to the forum, you'll find things have changed a bit in 40 years.

Regarding decal removal, use a decal softening solution eg micro-sol, click on the ScaleModelShop link at the top of the page if you want, I'm nothing to do with the shop but its really good. The solution is used to soften decals so they mould themselves round intricate parts but can be used to remove decals too, these will not work if you have varnished the model after you laid the decals.

Hope this helps, I'm a returnee too and loving it. M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Good old vinegar should also do the trick. If they are not sealed with varnish that is.

If they have been sealed, you will probably have to result to wet and dry paper.

Ian M

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Hi there twincamtim. I just posted the results of stripping an old model using oven cleaner.

Here is the link: http://www.scale-models.co.uk/painting/15763-paint-removal-kit-restoration.html#post126491

Of course, this strips the paint as well as the decals.

Cheers.

S

snapper41

You can also put sellotape over old decals and then rip it off - hey presto, decal comes too.