...on the subject of Primers, Humbrol Acrylic Primer 1?

G

Gladiator111

Ok,

At a very good chance of calling me thick and stupid but have a look at the link below. Can someone enlighten me as to what type of product this is and it's capabilities?

Humbrol Paints 1 Primer Matt 150ml Acrylic Spray Paint - AD6001 - £3.86

You see, if it's an acrylic paint and waterbased, how can this prime plastic as an enamel would? Is this an enamel paint for acrylics? Do you see the quandary?...or am I missing the point?

Cheers,

Anon

(doh, you guys already know me..!)

D

dubster72

That is very strange Chris! I know that Tamiya primer is a synthetic lacquer but if this is actually acrylic paint, what would be the point in using it? Unless the pigment is slightly larger to give subsequent coats of paint something to 'bite' on? I hope we have a resident chemist/paint expert out there!

Patrick

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I dunno,it certainly seems to be an acrylic paint. Several manufacturers do acrylic primers for acrylics, I've got a bottle of Vallejo grey acrylic primer I ordered by mistake somewhere. I still stick to my Halfords plastic primer (which definitely sticks to plastic!) so can't really comment on how these other primers perform.

Has anyone used this Humbrol stuff?

Steve

G

Gladiator111

Thanks guys, appreciate your thoughts and advice.

mmm well, by potentially answering my own question, take a look at humbrol's website where they describe the product as a solvent-based, fast drying paint developed for use on plastic model kits but which can also be used on other substrates. Matt, Satin, Gloss, Metallic, Metalcote and Clear finishes are available...

May buy some and experiment, can't help but try and shall let you know. The local model shop has some but they didn't know either. Thanks again.

In the meantime, as Steve has asked already, if anyone has used it before can they give feedback and comparison please?

Cheers,

Chris

L

Lady_Phoenix

\ said:
... I still stick to my Halfords plastic primer (which definitely sticks to plastic!) so can't really comment on how these other primers perform.
Apologies for bringing up an old post.

Halfords plastic primer costs £6.29 per 300ml. I found this

Plastic Primer - Grey - 400ml Aerosol [HY-UK612] - £4.99 - Wilco Direct - For All Your Motoring Needs

Wilcos plastic primer. Costs £4.99 per 400ml.

Does anyone know if its useful, or am I just being too tight fisted?

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Im sticking to my guns here and will continue to use my Vallejo primer. Its just great! Nice big bottle ready to use. Just shake, squirt a bit in the air brush and off you go. When done you do need to be a bit quick to rise the airbrush out, or its time to find the solvents and strip the airbrush down.

It it ecconomical in use? Very big yes! Being put on with an airbrush you have the ultimate control. Overspray is minimal. It gives a very good smoth finnish and sticks like some thing to a perverbial blanket! I have primed about three tanks, two armoured cars, five soft skins in 1/35 and about ten aircraft in 1/48 scale. A 1/35 scale torpedo boat and five 1/72 scale boats. This lot has used just about 1/3 of the 200ml in the bottle. Comes in standard primer gray and also in white. If you really need it the white can be toned with their acrylic paint. Yellow for example if you want a good and red car!

I know this has not much to do with the above thread but well worth the money.

Steve, dont hide it away, give it a go and see for your self!!

Ian M

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi penny, the wilco primer as long as its acrylic ,should be fine, ive used a lot of coloured hycote acrylics in the past and always found them to be superb(see pic). I personally always use halfords as a primer though, but not the plastic formula just the grey primer which gives a brilliantly smooth finish and you can get 500ml for £6.99. hope this helps , cheers tony

View attachment 27819

P1050102 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

S

sprayman

A quick ref point, Most uncured acrylic paints are soluble in water, this is irrelevant in determining whether a paint is acrylic or not. The term "acrylic" describes a particular set of polymers, Acrylic paints contain binders in the suspension, this means is that acrylic paints don't simply dry, they "cure".

The paint becomes a film of "plastic" over your model,after the curing process is completed, the paint is unaffected by water.

F

Ferrets Bueller

Another vote for vallejo primer ive used it on everything and it is simply superb.

M

m1ks

\ said:
Apologies for bringing up an old post.Halfords plastic primer costs £6.29 per 300ml. I found this

Plastic Primer - Grey - 400ml Aerosol [HY-UK612] - £4.99 - Wilco Direct - For All Your Motoring Needs

Wilcos plastic primer. Costs £4.99 per 400ml.

Does anyone know if its useful, or am I just being too tight fisted?
Hycote stuf has been around for yonks, (now theres a word eh, showing me yorkshire roots there), it's pretty good stuff.

If you want to be really really tight fisted, get a litre of cellulose primer and some thinners from somewhere like autopaint, cheap as chips compared to the above, of course you have to mix it and airbrush and being Cellulose, (lacquer), you need to have teflon seals

R

Richy C

For what its worth Halfords primer all day long for me , lasts a long time , easy to get , comes in grey - white - and dark red , won`t use anything else and good value

Richy

Z

zooks

ive been using the humbrol stuff under tamiya spray paint without issues. didnt realise I could just use halfords stuff though lol

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I happen to use Halfords plastic primer with good results. A word of warning! This very afternoon I had a bit of a mishap,spraying far to heavy a coat on a part. I stupidly grabbed a kitchen towel and tried to wipe it off. I can definitely confirm that this primer etches into the surface of the plastic,the reason it bonds so well,and my idiotic attempt to remove it left a rough surface. This was unfortunate as I was priming for Alclad which will amplify any blemish. The situation was only retrieved by allowing everything to dry and sanding and polishing out the rough area.

Cheers

Steve

A

andygh

Halfords for me too, decant it into an airbrush and it goes on in lovely thin layers and a can lasts for ages that way, it's very hard wearing too

I've found the Vallejo primer to be very soft and it seems to wear off if I just look at it, I only use it on vinyl tracks now

Acrylic enamels are just as tough as oil based in my experience

K

Krieg-Hammer

off topic.. is there primer available for airbrushes?

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi KH

Yes there is an acrylic/polyurethane primer available from Vallejo that made for the airbrush. I've tried it and found it ok, perhaps a little bit on the thin side (but better that than overly thick) and although not as tough as automotive primer will be ok for most modelling projects. I've been using it to get into the very small nooks and crannies in 1/72 models where rattle cans just can't reach!

Hope this helps

Paul