One for all you aviation buffs

B

Bunkerbarge

Now much as I hate to dampen anyones enthusiasm and much as we appreciate your contribution but this picture has already been used!!

S

squiffythewombat

then, could we use this thread to EXPLAIN WHAT ON EARTH THAT CRAZY CRAZY MAN IS DOING?

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I can explain the photograph,he is one of many American stunt pilots of the fifties,leaving aeroplanes whilst in flight was a popular pastime in those days,on a serious note this very act saved the life of recent round the world flight pilot Maurice Kirk,his engine failed whilst over the sea,he trimmed the Cub nose heavy,stepped onto the undercarriage,and swung the prop from the reverse,as the engine was quite well worn and sloppy in the bores it thankfully fired up and kept running,Maurice climbed back into the cockpit and continued safely on his journey.

S

squiffythewombat

I can explain the photograph' date='he is one of many American stunt pilots of the fifties,leaving aeroplanes whilst in flight was a popular pastime in those days,on a serious note this very act saved the life of recent round the world flight pilot Maurice Kirk,his engine failed whilst over the sea,he trimmed the Cub nose heavy,stepped onto the undercarriage,and swung the prop from the reverse,as the engine was quite well worn and sloppy in the bores it thankfully fired up and kept running,Maurice climbed back into the cockpit and continued safely on his journey.[/quote']Barry thats quite a story, lol! Ive heard of bomber crews and such patching up their aircraft in flight, but never for stunts! You dont see the redbull boys swapping planes mid-air...although that would be quite impressive!

B

Bunkerbarge

I really admire someone who has such a cool presence of mind to be able to exactly what is required under situations of such stress. Most people would just freak out and die!

Doing the right thing under pressure is quite a talent and people could try for years and never achieve such qualities.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
So you want more dare devil stunts...see todays blog for an account of wing walking in the nineteen twenties,vertigo warning..hold onto your seat belts.

R

rjwood_uk

thats what the air cadets did for me, we were once practicing on the assault course at Carva Baracks (near saffron waldon) and a drill instructor asked if we wanted to practice in a blank-fire tac-op with some new recruites. (what do you think the answer to that was) since i was the only cadet with a Royal Marksmanship i was made captain.

Now i tell you trying to think of what to do next and where to tell your squad members to go whilst your being shot at by SA-80's is quite hard!!!!

but you know you have to do it, and you have to do it right....

(we lost)

not so hard as walking along an aeroplanes nose though, even if blanks its still 15000 feet up, and the landing wouldnt be a blank!!!