Opening closed hatches?

First Name
Brad
Hi all,
what method / tools have you found best / easiest for opening up closed hatches/ engine decks etc, without then having to major scratch build a new one?
Cheers in advance....

First Name
Paul
Scribe (using Xacto #11 blade upside down) from the backside until plastic whitens around the edges on the topside. Then use it right side up to cut out the hatch/grill on an angle wide side up. You can just cut it out from the top using the blade normally if the plastic is soft or thin enough as long as you cut on an angle. This allows the representation of a hinge or hinges and the preservation of the original shape. The hole can be dressed as req'd. PaulE

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
First Name
Allen
Evening Brad,

I'm not an expert, but for opening larger hatches or engine decks, I use a JLC saw blade with out the handle. You can drill a hole in each corner of the item to be opened. You can then drill a few more along the recess in each direction and with the blade in your fingers and using the fine tooth side, begin sawing on one side. then repeat on the other sides. You will probably have a bit of over cut, but that should be easy to fix. There are also small saw blades for the hobby knife that you could use for smaller hatches and such.

I also use an awl with a very fine sharp point and scribe the area with repeated strokes until you are almost through the plastic. After scribing all 4 sides, turn the piece over and reverse scribe the part until it is free. Due to the scribing, if you want to put the piece back in place, you will have to fill it in a bit. If you want to model the hatch open, you should have no probs at all...I hope this helps a little!

Prost
Allen

First Name
Brad
Evening Allen, thanks for your input. I don't have a jlc, its on the list, so I'll muddle through at the mo. Thanks again.
Ps Lovin the V2:thumb2:

John Race

Plastic burner and member of the Rabble
First Name
John
No Brad.
Would like to know if it works. I would just do as Paul says, but have yet to attempt it .
John.