P-36A pearl harbor

K

Kressy_13

Hi all, while i'm getting annoyed with the F-4 intakes I spied this at the local hobby store and thought it would be good to test my new alclad paints on. This is the academy P-36A/C mohawk MK.IV in 1/48. Looks to be a decent little kit that will go together easily (fingers crossed). Hopefully get the intakes done on the F-4 while working through this one.

View attachment 75553

P-36 box art.jpg

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking forward to this one Kresten. I've never used Alclad either so will watch with interest

S

Stevekir

I will be trying Alclad chrome in a few months time, so will be interested to see how you get on.

K

Kressy_13

Hi guys. Took me a bit longer to get the pit done than i wanted. We had temps of 43 degrees here yesterday so no work was done. Got it done today though. Not the best but i'm not really fussed on the interior as its the outside i'm using this for. I did try some micro Krystal Klear on the gauges to represent the glass face which seams to have worked ok. Now on to the rest. Looks like I could have some gaps in the wing joint to deal with but we shall see.

View attachment 75783

View attachment 75784

View attachment 75785

instrument.jpg

interior 1.jpg

interior.jpg

First Name
Mike
Looking good Kresten, I think that's the same kit boxed by Hobbycraft. Alclad is awesome stuff; watching this with interest.

First Name
Richard
Hi Kresten,

nice detail on the cockpit.

Cheers Richi

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
It's coming along nicely you've either got very big hands or very good eyesight because that instrument panel is very good

S

Stevekir

The engine looks like it has 14 cylinders (in two banks). That many seems unusual.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice progress Kresten.

\ said:
The engine looks like it has 14 cylinders (in two banks). That many seems unusual.
Why is that unusual Steve? All four stroke radial engines have an uneven number of cylinders per row. Additional rows (or banks) of cylinders are added to increase engine capacity. The P&W R-1830 is one of the most successful aero engines ever produced.

S

Stevekir

\ said:
Nice progress Kresten.Why is that unusual Steve? All four stroke radial engines have an uneven number of cylinders per row. Additional rows (or banks) of cylinders are added to increase engine capacity. The P&W R-1830 is one of the most successful aero engines ever produced.
Just that I can't remember seeing a two-row radial engine before, real or modelled (although I have a dim remembrance of one at Cosford). I can see that adding rows to add power allows this to be done without increasing the frontal size of the engine which, from the first image above, seems already quite large even with two rows.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Two or more rows in a radial engine was quite common Steve. The R4360 had four rows of seven cylinders, 28 in total. The number by the way relates to the cubic inch capacity of the engine. For the metric among us that equates to a 71.5-Litre engine!

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
Hi Kresten,

nice detail on the cockpit.and coming along nicly,

so nice to see some one else from down under :rolleyes: i will be getting your hot weater on tues as its ment to be 4o,s

K

Kressy_13

Thanks guys. My hands aren't crazy large Alan, first time trying a new way of painting the panel and it seems to have worked well. I'm not really a rivet counter on most models Steve, It was supplied and looks like an engine so that's what i went with. Hahaha. Hi Monica, sure is good to have another aussie in the group. It will be nice and hot for the tennis. Not pleasant at all.

K

Kressy_13

Hi all, well have spent a bit of time sanding and polishing the seams on the wing and body sections. Have some rescribing to do but that will come later. So i finally got to attaching the wings, what a disaster. I knew it wasn't the best fitting kit but that is quite terrible. The wing seam shouldn't be too hard to fix up but the front lower join is going to take some work to smooth out. Better get that filler and sandpaper out again.

View attachment 76527

View attachment 76528

View attachment 76529

View attachment 76530

View attachment 76531

View attachment 76532

bad join 1.JPG

bad join 2.JPG

bad join 3.JPG

join 1.JPG

join 2.JPG

join 3.JPG

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looks good Kresten , the wing fit isnt great is it, although its a shiny new box top and different decals i think the mould is still quite old . I'm sure it'll look great though , cheers tony

K

Kressy_13

IT would appear to be an old mold tony. Not much to show as it has all been fill and sand, fill and sand. Slowly getting it into shape though.