Paint mixing

First Name
Bill
Bill this is the biggest minefield your likely to walk in to I hope you like cans with worms in. I could reply to a few of the thoughts here but would be seen as argumentative. Some of the simplest advice I can give you is to search about see if there's a modeling club near you ,it opened up my world over night to be able to talk with people face to face all of them willing to share ,some of the lads at the club make a round trip of around a hundred miles once a month for a three and a half hour meeting. Dave

Hi Dave,
Funny you should mention local clubs, I went to one last week and spent 3 hours being blanked. Felt about as popular as a pork pie in a synagogue. Whenever I have belonged to clubs in the past, for instance a wood carving club I belonged to, I went out of my way to introduce myself to new folk and tried to make them feel welcome. Never seen such a load of miserable self centred sods in a long time. Sorry bit of a rant off topic but nice to get it off my chest. Thanks for the air brushing tips, however, very useful.

Bill

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Hi Dave,
Funny you should mention local clubs, I went to one last week and spent 3 hours being blanked. Felt about as popular as a pork pie in a synagogue. Whenever I have belonged to clubs in the past, for instance a wood carving club I belonged to, I went out of my way to introduce myself to new folk and tried to make them feel welcome. Never seen such a load of miserable self centred sods in a long time. Sorry bit of a rant off topic but nice to get it off my chest. Thanks for the air brushing tips, however, very useful.

Bill
Unfortunately some clubs can be cliques rather than clubs, goes for all types of clubs.
These are usually the clubs that members are bemoaning, "The hobby is dying, there's no new blood!"

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Dave,

Bill
I’ve come across that at both model shows and wargames clubs. At one show I asked someone how they did something and got the (deadly serious) reply…..if I told bloody everyone they’d all know how to do it…..
I also saw a poll on a game site that asked what people least liked about gaming clubs….the most frequent answer was “wargamers”…..
It’s an attitude I simply don’t understand, but like all hobbies, this one has its share of arses….

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Hi Dave,

Bill
I'm sorry you were treated like that perhaps I've been lucky bugger em they don't deserve you then ,as Karl and Tim said these people wonder why the hobbies dying ,but I wish you well with your endeavors and were all here to help each other so like most of us if this was a pub its where I'd drink. Dave

D

Deleted member 9606

I always mix in an external container, as long as it’s clean. Preferably small enough that you don’t leave half the paint up the side of the container when pouring it. If you have to mix it in your airbrush then put your thinner in first, then the paint. Same goes for the container - pour the thinner in first. It lessens paint sticking to the sides of the container.

Modler bob

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I buy takeaway sauce pots from Amazon. £5 for 100 or something. Sealable lids so the mix lasts if spraying over time.

TIJAR® Sauce Containers with Lid... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BPMKCWZ2?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
Can you stir OK in them jack?
I saw a youtube vid of tubs like these (sorry didn't copy it) and the guy said when he stirred the paint the stirrer made a clicking sound and s[plashed the paint around.
There were small protrusions around the edges that his Stirring stick got caught on

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Can you stir OK in them jack?
I saw a youtube vid of tubs like these (sorry didn't copy it) and the guy said when he stirred the paint the stirrer made a clicking sound and s[plashed the paint around.
There were small protrusions around the edges that his Stirring stick got caught on
There are some faint mouldings on the bottom, kite marks etc, but I think you would have to be pretty picky to be bothered about those. They really are minimal and definitely don’t catch a stirring rod.FBEB0348-026B-40B8-B2F4-D7D18AA7DCDF.jpeg